Glock Talk

Glock Talk (
-   Band of Glockers (
-   -   40cal in a licensed 45cal (

Shihan 08-30-2004 11:28

40cal in a licensed 45cal
I have a 1911 45cal pistol which I use whenever there's a shootfest. Recently I decided to shift to .40cal modified. I purchased the upper assembly of the firearm and fitted it to the same frame (45cal).

When we join matches we usually sign a waiver and it also serves as our PTT. Should I write 45cal in the information sheet even if I'll be using 40cal in the match? Will I be questioned why I put 45cal instead of 40cal or vise versa?

Please note that my firearm license is for a 45cal.

Will appreciate advices from senior professional shooters. Thanks.

jasonub 08-30-2004 20:24

i did the same. after a while i sold the whole gun and bought the sv. just put 45. if you get into a checkpoint it says 45 they dont bother looking at the diameter of the barel.

mc_oliver 08-30-2004 21:10

Dre, try to post some pics of your gun and detail the mods you did. ;) Thanks.

As for your question, I've heard it not legal to change calibers. I'm just not sure which law applies to it though. Just field strip your gun and put it together with your 45cal upper when transporting. ;)

vega 08-30-2004 23:49

As per Phil law you are required to register your extra barrel. It's really up to you if you want to do it, lots of shooters doesn't bother to.

Are you more concern of the competition or what the law requires? If I were the RO I'd notice your bullet hole but I'm not familiar with IPSC ruling. But if you're shooting IDPA I'll let you get away with it since we're just having fun.

To stay out of trouble with the law just put the 45 upper when you're traveling like mc_o said.


Allegra 08-31-2004 07:04

You need to apply for a 2nd license for the 40cal.
As I remember, a barrel is cosidered a firearm

that said , yung 40cal ko nakarating na ng dulo ng luzon, visyas at mindanao with a 45 license. Pero I wouldnt recommend you do it

mikol 08-31-2004 08:36


Originally posted by Allegra
You need to apply for a 2nd license for the 40cal.
As I remember, a barrel is cosidered a firearm

allegra is right shihan.

As per EO 197 Dated June 6, 2000, Article 1-G states "Any extra slide/barrel or conversion kit shall be assessed a corresponding license fee amount to fifty percent (50%) of the rate for the said caliber".

If you your concern is the legality of you actions, then have it license. If not, then it's your call on bring the .40 cal. conversion kit everytime you go to any comp.;Q

Hermo Gut 09-01-2004 18:09

When I bought my conversion kit (.40cal.) for my Jericho 941FS 9mm. I was required by Magnificent to have it licensed.

Like Allegra said ,the barrel is considered a firearm. It is one of the questions given when applying for a Gun Safety Certificate.It's also the reason why we cannot order barrels online.

When I was active in the shooting sport, I usually indicate the true caliber of my firearm as shown on the PTT. Even if it's only a liability waiver, you'll be in trouble once something unforseen happens. I usually get a separate PTT for my conversion kit (already installed on the frame).If you intend to shoot a .40cal. out of your .45cal gun you must have the proper documents otherwise it's a Possession of an Unlicensed Firearm.Don't rely on the authorities not being able to differentiate between the two, if you encounter a knowlegeable cop (which for sure there are) you'll be in real trouble.Stay safe. ;)

Shihan 09-05-2004 10:55

Thank You
Thank you so much for all the information from you guys. I'll try to have it licensed asap (.40cal conversion kit)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2015, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.