Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ham Shack (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Want to get my ham license... need help (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288182)

caddyshack 09-17-2004 21:29

Want to get my ham license... need help

I checked into getting my ham license about 10 years ago, and back then Radio Shack sold a book that you studied and then you took a test. I'm a little more serious about it now, but could use some direction on how to proceed. I did an exam session search on ARRL's website and most exams are a distance away. can this test be taken online? Any links for study material would be appreciated!

steve

Glock Bob 09-18-2004 00:27

I do believe you have to take the test in-person. After you pass your test and recieve your CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination), the organization giving the test will send it in for you and you'll recieve your license and call within a few weeks.

As far as studying:

I took the test before it was restructured, when there were two tests to pass for technician. There was a great online practice that I can't find now for the life of me. Basically I'd answer the questions I knew and memorized those I didn't. Some of the questions seemed a little more advanced than a technician really needed, but it is good to have a knowledge of them.

If you have any specific questions, no matter how pity or stupid you may think they are, be sure to ask. I'm sure I or another on this board would be more than happy to answer. Heck, I've had my license for over 4 years and I still have questions.

RaginCajun 09-18-2004 05:15

Try www.qrz.com for some practice tests.

Paul
KE5CMU

caddyshack 09-18-2004 07:36

Thanks for the replies. I had seen that ARRL has study books, are these the recommended books to use, or is there a better one available?

steve

GSD17 09-18-2004 21:09

I use the Gordon West books, I think they are best.

beachside39 09-20-2004 16:01

It's EASY to get your Ham LIcense

1) Log onto www.qrz.com

2) Take the Technician practice test every day for 30 days.

3) Take the written exam from a nearby VE (Volunteer Examiner).

4) Repeat steps 1-3 for your General and Extra Class licenses.

Enjoy ham radio, a life-time hobby ...

I'm an Extra Class VE, licensed for 45 years.a

caddyshack 09-20-2004 17:22

Thanks for the replies...

I ordered the book, should come this week. There is a test sceduled for Oct. 23 in my area. Hope to be ready by then.

Is a month enough to study for the test?

steve

RaginCajun 09-21-2004 21:00

One month should give you enough time. One word of advice is to study harder than you think you have to. I found that the real test was harder than the practice exams. Do the www.qrz.com exams till you are averaging 90 or better.

73s
Paul
KE5CMU

jackofalltrades 09-23-2004 16:26

I'm glad to see you ordered your books. Afriend gave me a book to study which I did but I took my time and when I finally took the test(sitting in the class room) I found out they restructured it and the Questions that I had been studying were totally different. I passed by the skin of my teeth. Now I have to study for my CODE part. KG4JOR:)

greenlead 10-08-2004 23:26

My grandfather recommended the Now Your Talking book. My family bought several revisions of it.

My brother got his tech off of the series, but the most I got was my Novice written :(.

I intend to take the test again at the next hamfest here in Fort Wayne. I tried to get it last year, but misunderstood the information and arrived at the closing time instead of the start time ;g .

I won't make that mistake again.

caddyshack 10-20-2004 18:34

Take my Tech's test tomorrow... I've been averaging 85% on the QRZ.com practice tests. Wish me luck!!

steve