Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Book Rack (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   The Wheel Of Time (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299845)

PhiKappaTauOx 10-19-2004 17:40

The Wheel Of Time

Is anyone currently reading, or have you read, this series? I am currently on book 8 of 10 (The Path of Daggers).

what has been your favorite book of the series so far and why?

i don't remember exactly which book it is, but my favorite is when Rand first goes to the Aiel and Rhuidan (sp?) and you learn the truth about the Aiel's past.

who is your favorite character and why?

i would say my favorite character is either Rand or Perrin. i like the humility of Perrin, but i also like how Rand will not hesitate to do what needs to be done.

what do you think of the Aes Sedai?

i, personally, don't like them much as a group. they all act like they are better than everyone else just because they can use the One Power. therefore, i really love when Rand puts them in their place.

what do you think of the Asha'man?

i love this group. they are dedicated soldiers, but they are still personable (unlike the Aes Sedai).

one thing, though, that i have noticed and not particularly enjoyed about Jordan's works is that he builds up and builds up and builds up a confrontation between the protragonist and the antagonist, yet when the battles actually occur it's over VERY quickly! how about some more length to it? this kinda annoys me as i am reading this series.

anything else you'd like to chime in that i haven't mentioned so far?

Wmarden 10-20-2004 01:58

I could tell you some spoilers, but I will be good. I am about to start book 10.

PhiKappaTauOx 10-20-2004 09:27

bah, i probably already know them. i've done a little searching on the net and have heard about most of the big things that are going to happen.

DonGlock26 10-20-2004 18:00

How many books are there? I've read reviews stating that the books started out great but bogged down later. Inquiring minds want to know.;f

PhiKappaTauOx 10-20-2004 18:06

so far there are 10 written, 1 on the way, and who knows how many more after that?!

Wmarden 10-21-2004 01:16

And 1 prequel, with another soon to be released. Or the second one may already be out.

Rocnerd 10-21-2004 08:29

WOT

I have been reading these books for what seems like an eternity. Started with book one back in 1993 or 1994. The series was great until about book 7 (Crown of Swords) I think Jordan got bogged down here with too many characters, too many subplots, and trying to put everything in to a book that isn't 2000 pages. So, what you ended up with was a series of long books with less and less actually happening due to the excessive information on excessive plots with excessive characters. The last book out, Crossroads of Twilight, takes place in the span of a week or so, or maybe a couple of days. Don't remember. Anyway, after about 1000 pages absolutely nothing gets accomplished. I was quite frustrated after reading that book. I mean you wait three years for it to come out and then nothing happens, nothing gets accomplished and you are where you were before you read the damn thing. Hopefully he gets things moving again with the next book due out, which is entitled "Knife of Dreams". I was unhappy with this latest offering, but after ten years of reading it is still a good series and I think will be worth it come the last installment. Here is hoping it doesn't take another ten to finish it.