Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Firefighter/EMS Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Tactical Medicine by H&K last week!!!!! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303900)

MDT 10-31-2004 11:26

Tactical Medicine by H&K last week!!!!!

I just got back into town last night after a week in San Diego. I was attending the Heckler and Kock training for Basic Tactical Medicine. The class was attended by physicians, medics, PA's and military. I have to say, if ANY of you are considering tac-med to support your area SWAT/SOT teams, this is the class you want. The instructors were top notch both on the medical side and the weapons/tactical side.

We had instruction in pistol (HK USP) and subgun (MP5). Many scenarios in the shoot house to practically put into play what learned in class. The last day on our testing, we used Simunitions in the scenarios. This really made you pucker!

I recently started to volunteer for our county SWAT team for their tac-med as the team physician. There are three paramedics on the team and they are operators as well as medics. Great bunch of guys, excellent medics and the operators are tough.

I would encourage anyone to talk to your area SWAT/SOT and offer your medical services to them. I think you will find that they would love the on site help if anything goes bad. If you pursue this, then the H&K program is they one to attend!

www.tacticalmedicine.com

MDT

obxprnstar 10-31-2004 12:37

I am so jelous. Too jelous for words.

mfackler 10-31-2004 15:25

WoW. I'm jelous too. That sounds really cool.

Ditchdoc 10-31-2004 19:38

Sounds like a cool class. Doc do you know if they are going to offer it on the east coast? Here we go to FLETC and take the CONTOMS class.

smokshwn 10-31-2004 23:35

H&K offers this class in Palm Springs and Sterling VA at H&K HQ. It is a very worthwhile class. It is far and away a much better course than CONTOMS. One of my favorite instructors, Dr. Dale Carrison left the program to spend a little more time with his wife and grandkids. He brought an incredible knowledge base to the program as he was FBI HRT before going to medical school.

As an aside I work for NASCAR and Dale is now the medical director for Las Vegas Motor Speedway so I still get to see him a couple of times a year when we go to work races.

sincitymedic 11-06-2004 06:42

Dr. Carrison

Wow. I'm sitting here, unable to sleep. Read the name "Dr. Dale Carrison" & my ears perked up -- haven't heard that name in years.

I had the opportunity to work with him both at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (track medic) & at UMC Trauma Center (where many a pt. went in the LV valley). He taught many classes to medics in LV. And yes, he has an incredibly interesting history & is a hell of a guy. Easy going as can be, too.