Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Moto Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Why do young idiots always ride crotch rockets? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314089)

fnfalman 11-27-2004 23:08

Why do young idiots always ride crotch rockets?
 
Jesus H. Christ, I was just cruising on the highway. Note that it's a highway and not even an Interstate. The traffic was moderate and we all cruised around 70-MPH. There were two guys (presumably young) on some sort of Jap rice rockets; sounded like liter-bikes, that blew by us so fast that it wasn't even funny. Just from eyeball calibration alone, they were probably doing in excess of 120-MPH and still accelerating judging from the growl of their engines.

I'm not one of those types that prefer sissy scooters. I don't personally care for the crotch rocket types, be they Japanese or Italians, but I do appreciate them as engineering marvels and appreciate the skills of the riders that can do wheelies and scratch their knees while cornering. BUT hauling ass like that in traffic is utterly moronic and it gives motorcyclists a bad name.

Even in my youth, I wasn't that stupid on my Ducati 750 PASO.

HKMark23 11-27-2004 23:32

They do that because any idiot can go fast in a straight line, so they blip around in traffic showing how "cool" they are.

Just try and get one of those clowns out on a track, it's almost impossable! And when they do they pee their paints if they compress a shock more than half way in a corner let alone hang off and drag a knee.

I could care less if they wanna drive like that and kill themselves but it pisses me off that they put others at risk with there "superior" riding abilities.

:soap:

Neal 11-28-2004 10:36

Re: Why do young idiots always ride crotch rockets?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by fnfalman

Why do young idiots always ride crotch rockets?

.
Because they can't get older smarter people to do it. ;f

Watch this video for an example of what you are talking about:http://www.ebaumsworld.com/bikespeed.html

Wulfenite 11-28-2004 10:57

Because you can spend 10 times as much money on a car and still not equal the performance.

The other part of the problem is they think motorcycles are just fast cars. They're not. Totally different physics. I rode a GSXR 750 for a number of years. The only time I ever layed it over was in my dad gagage when I pulled up to a stop and set my foot down in an oil spot his porche left on the floor. They way I survived was more than a decade of droping dirt bikes.

hank327 11-28-2004 19:58

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old bold pilots!;f

FoxMustang 11-28-2004 20:58

Eh, idiocy knows no bounds. I've see the same sort of behavior from guys with Harleys and Hondas and Mustangs and Camaros and SUVs, you name it (I'm sure we all have).

At least on the bike the idiots have a greater chance of taking themselves out while having a lesser chance of causing collateral damage. I just feel sorry for all the others paying insurance on the same type of bike.

BikerGoddess 11-29-2004 08:30

I know plenty of young idiots who don't ride crotch rockets.

I also know a lot of old idiots...

Laura

sublime 11-29-2004 10:48

Yep, there are some idiots out there that do this in the wrong place and wrong time.

I wouldn't single out crotch rocket riders though. I like the Harley riders that say they have their exhaust loud because it is safer when cars can hear them. Then they ride off w/o a helmet. ;Q

I will give the crotch rocket crowd higher marks for safety gear.

GSX-MAN 11-29-2004 16:35

Right before mt 20th birthday, i finally got my drivers' license. I immediately bought a Honda VTR250, that really looked like a crotch rocket. Well, it wasn't. It hardly reached 100 mph but I had really good fun with it. 2 years later, I bought a '99 Suzuki GSX600F (hence my nickname), which was a bit faster, (it did about 127 mph) but it was just about as reliable as a dog in heat.

A year ago, I was fed up with the unreliability of this piece of crap, so I traded it in for an older, more reliable bike; a '97 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird (quite a mouthful, and quite a handful).

So, now I'm 26 and I still haven't owned a real crotch rocket. I tried a friend's Ducati 750 sport, but it's just not comfortable enough for commuting. And this bike tops at 182 mph, that must be enough...http://www.xs4all.nl/~marro/Rbird5.jpg

Warrior2k3 11-29-2004 16:38

It's called thinning the herd.

GSX-MAN 11-29-2004 16:41

Quote:

Originally posted by Warrior2k3
It's called thinning the herd.
Yep, Darwin's always right...

fastvfr 11-29-2004 17:30

I kept waiting for some farmer's dog to waltz out onto the road in front of the guy in the ebaum video. NEVER do 150+ by the white line. Ever.

Unsafe riders are unsafe at all speeds. Safe riders may drive more quickly than most, but that is because they know what they're doing and do not exceed their skillsets.

My bike is fast. And sometimes I will let it out for a run. But you won't see me splitting lanes and weaving around passing cages on the right (or on the shoulder) just because I can double their top speed.

GSX-MAN, that's a lovely bike. I always liked the look of the 1100XX...but I like VFR's better....;)

http://sfriday.com/VFR800/IMAGES/2001VFR.jpg

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. That isn't my bike, but mine is a red 2001. Mine has been modded quite a bit, and has a far better header/pipe set - and no #%&@ luggage!! I just haven't taken any digital pics of my ride yet.

Texas T 11-29-2004 21:37

Quote:

Originally posted by fastvfr
and no #%&@ luggage!!
That luggage set would look a lot better on that bike if it were red. :)

GSX-MAN 11-30-2004 11:25

Quote:

Originally posted by fastvfr
I kept waiting for some farmer's dog to waltz out onto the road in front of the guy in the ebaum video. NEVER do 150+ by the white line. Ever.

Unsafe riders are unsafe at all speeds. Safe riders may drive more quickly than most, but that is because they know what they're doing and do not exceed their skillsets.

My bike is fast. And sometimes I will let it out for a run. But you won't see me splitting lanes and weaving around passing cages on the right (or on the shoulder) just because I can double their top speed.

GSX-MAN, that's a lovely bike. I always liked the look of the 1100XX...but I like VFR's better....;)

http://sfriday.com/VFR800/IMAGES/2001VFR.jpg

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. That isn't my bike, but mine is a red 2001. Mine has been modded quite a bit, and has a far better header/pipe set - and no #%&@ luggage!! I just haven't taken any digital pics of my ride yet.

I was in doubt between the CFR and the CBR when I bought the CBR. Both are great. (but mine's faster ;) )

RyanSBHF 11-30-2004 14:47

Quote:

Originally posted by BikerGoddess
I know plenty of young idiots who don't ride crotch rockets.

I also know a lot of old idiots...

Laura


I see bad drivers of all types: Young and old, men and women. It's funny that 16 yr olds usually ake fun of elderly drivers while they (16 yo) have the highest accident rate. I've heard some reccoment the driving age be raised to 18. I think it's a good idea myself. What do you all think?

BikerGoddess 11-30-2004 17:13

Quote:

Originally posted by RyanSBHF
I see bad drivers of all types: Young and old, men and women. It's funny that 16 yr olds usually ake fun of elderly drivers while they (16 yo) have the highest accident rate. I've heard some reccoment the driving age be raised to 18. I think it's a good idea myself. What do you all think?
I think that elderly drivers have the second highest accident rate...

I would be all for increasing the driver's age and/or graduated licenses if we have a decent public transportation infrastructure. It's pretty hard to get around without a car, and parents don't want to ferry their kids everywhere they want to go.

Laura

RyanSBHF 11-30-2004 22:48

Quote:

Originally posted by BikerGoddess
I think that elderly drivers have the second highest accident rate...

I would be all for increasing the driver's age and/or graduated licenses if we have a decent public transportation infrastructure. It's pretty hard to get around without a car, and parents don't want to ferry their kids everywhere they want to go.

Laura


What's it like in Dallas? Here in Omaha the only public transportation we have are buses.

lenmattsen 12-01-2004 00:44

Natural selection.
 
God invented natural selection to improve the varied species.
Idiots on crotch rockets merely expidite the process.
Young idiots die before the breed and perpetuate idiocy.

See, the system works just fine. :)

I started riding as a motor officer in 1969.
The only accident I have ever had was when a woman driving a stolen Mustang struck me at 65 mph when I was at 35mph.
It broke my back and put me down for eight years.

Now after 32+ years as a LEO , I am down for the count in another accident. A severely fractured neck and total disability. Surgery should help with improved mobility soon.

What happened you ask? A slip & fall on duty!

"There ain't no justice 'cept in Heaven; and you ain't in Heaven!"

Texas T 12-01-2004 10:38

Len, sorry to hear about the disability.

Do you anticipate being able to ride again in the future, even if it's on a trike?

What happened to the woman that struck you years ago... jail time?

lenmattsen 12-01-2004 10:54

What's next?
 
:( Bad news: no I won't even be allowed to drive a car let alone a motorcycle.

:) A 1995 BMW K-75 with ABS brakes in exc. condition is for sale to someone very lucky.

The woman is was released from custody for two years ago after serving 16 years of a 20 to life sentence. Never again will she be permitted a D.L. in the U.S. and she has a felony record for attempted motor vehicle homicide.

It sucks to be her!

All good things to all good men.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.