Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Airgun and Paintball Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   My son wants to get into paintball, and I need some.. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414684)

TLHelmer 08-01-2005 17:20

My son wants to get into paintball, and I need some..

information. What is a good entry level gun? I have heard Tippman 98 and Spyder (spelling ?) are reliable brands.

Any help you can offer?

One Ragged Hole 08-04-2005 10:12

We use Tippmann M98's for our rental fleet (we have 60 for rentals). They are one of the most reliable markers there are out there. Plus they are upgradable with many options from the manufacturer. Go on www.warpig.com and do some research, you'll find good things there.
O-R-H

TLHelmer 08-04-2005 18:11

Thanks for your response.

samhane 08-06-2005 06:49

I'd say go with the Spyder or an Icon (spyder clone and really just as good just cheaper) over the Tippman. Tippmans are good guns but the upgrades are on the expensive side and a complete pain to strip and clean. The Spyders/Icons are very very easy maintance and cleaning and they shoot alot faster ball per second rate which is very good for speedball and woodsball. Check out

www.pbreview.com almost everything paintball related is reviewed here

www.paintplayers.com is a new but pretty decent paintball forum the guys there are pretty knowledgable.

One Ragged Hole 08-08-2005 09:10

In my Paintball Store, we don't have any trouble selling most any marker. For my money, our rental fleet is all Tippmann. Out of 60 markers we have trouble with only about 3 or so per match, mainly due to broken paint lodged in the bolt. We used to run "other" types but got sick of the delay, and mad players during the match. I'm the Airtech also, and it was trouble to have at least 20 markers and players in line waiting. Just my two cents.:) In-line markers are more reliable than stacked in my experience of 10yrs in the retail paintball business.
O-R-H

TLHelmer 08-08-2005 18:27

Thanks again

Can you explain in-line and stacked?

quinnt 08-09-2005 22:46

I'd go with the Tippy, reliable, and virtually indestructable

4TS&W 08-09-2005 22:54

Re: Thanks again

Quote:

Originally posted by TLHelmer
Can you explain in-line and stacked?
Has to do with the way the gun parts are lined up in the airgun.

Spyders are stacked, Tippmans are all in one single line. Look at the side of the gun, on the two brands and you will see the spyder is "taller" at the reciever.

I always liked tippman better, but it is like a lot of things that comes down to personal preference.

TLHelmer 08-10-2005 19:00

Thanks!

1865 08-12-2005 21:03

How old is he? What does he want to play? (woodsball, speedball, X-ball?) How many times has he played? How much are you looking to spend? And have you played with him yet? (if not, why the heck not! ;) )

These questions will help narrow down your gun choices. Have fun!

Rinspeed 08-22-2005 10:14

As it's been said you just can't beat the Tippmann custom 98 for what they cost. After he decides paintball is for him add the flatline barrel and he will do very well.

Hideous 09-10-2005 00:03

Quote:

Originally posted by 1865
How old is he? What does he want to play? (woodsball, speedball, X-ball?) How many times has he played? How much are you looking to spend? And have you played with him yet? (if not, why the heck not! ;) )

These questions will help narrow down your gun choices. Have fun!

LOL >> i am 42yo, play Xball and supair tournies, i have spent ~$4k on gear.

Where will he play?
The local field will probably use C02 or compressed air >> that will narrow your choices as what to get.
If he is not interested after 12 months or so the marker can be sold.
If he is serious then expect to cough up for an air system ~$200 and a decent marker ~$900-1300

mossy500camo 09-11-2005 19:41

Brass Eagle Markers any good? Good enough for a paintball war between a 39 yr old and 13 yr old?

brock sampson 09-11-2005 20:08

Ehhh, well you get what you pay for I guess, maybe a little less in their case. You will be able to have some fun around the yard with them, but that's about all their made for. Don't expect them to last all that long under any real use. Then again, as cheap as they are maybe the idea is they're disposable.
Bottom of the barrel stuff.

Hideous 09-12-2005 16:10

Quote:

Originally posted by mossy500camo
Brass Eagle Markers any good? Good enough for a paintball war between a 39 yr old and 13 yr old?
Only thing i can suggest is look on www.pbnation.com for some secondhand markers.. i still strongly suggest you visit your local field and see what they can supply in rteh way of second hand markers.

You do realise that semi auto markers can fire up to 24 balls per second in some cases.. and full auto ones ~15bps.

Simple pumps>>
I started the same way - last Sunday a team of 12 to 13 yo's took out a 5 man team of 22-35 yo's >> One 4' nothing midgit bunkered 3 players in one game >>> his dad takes him hunting !!!!

sx-al 09-12-2005 16:48

Spraying paint is not playing ball

I started in 87 with pumps, too. I like the automag for reliability and ease of repair and field strip. It was a gun designed by ballers/engineers. Mine never broke.

If you don't play alot a tippy is great. They never break either. Just a nightmare to fieldstrip quickly and a couple of easy to forget pieces. Just to have to rebuild. You know what I mean if you have had one.

Spyders are "cheap", they work. Autocockers are hot but $$ and are like high maintenence girls. Electronic guns give you a machine gun but they are delicate. Don't buy brass eagle, you will not be happy. They break often.

Its like real guns man. A giant cash vacume sucking you dry.

http://www.airgun.com/

1865 09-20-2005 23:52

Quote:

Originally posted by Hideous
LOL >> i am 42yo, play Xball and supair tournies, i have spent ~$4k on gear.

Where will he play?
The local field will probably use C02 or compressed air >> that will narrow your choices as what to get.
If he is not interested after 12 months or so the marker can be sold.
If he is serious then expect to cough up for an air system ~$200 and a decent marker ~$900-1300

You've got me beat on years :) But I have you beat on my "investment" in gear. ;f Kids ask all the time if me and my team are sponsored.

"Yeah, by Mastercard." ;a

1865 09-20-2005 23:55

Re: Spraying paint is not playing ball

Quote:

Originally posted by sx-al
Spyders are "cheap", they work. Autocockers are hot but $$ and are like high maintenence girls. Electronic guns give you a machine gun but they are delicate. Don't buy brass eagle, you will not be happy. They break often.
I agree with everything you said, except for "Electronic guns give you a machine gun but they are delicate". Get a good electro and give it basic care and she'll treat you right. No more delicate than a high-end cocker. My Angel gets the hell beaten out of her every weekend (well not lately, stupid knee) and is good to go without fail.