Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Firefighter/EMS Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   48/96 shift (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440925)

hotpig 10-01-2005 19:47

48/96 shift

Starting our first 48/96 hour shift Sunday. We are doing it for a six month trial period. I think some of the guys are starting to get cold feet already.I think the first month will be the hardest.

Pa Glock guy 10-01-2005 20:06

There was a fire fighter whos FD was looking into doing this same thing. I think he was in California. A bunch of posts were made concerning this. Personally I think its crazy to be at work that much but good luck!

obxprnstar 10-02-2005 23:34

Let us know how it works out.

hotpig 10-04-2005 09:55

I love it!!! I now have my four days off instead of being off today and back to work in the am. I also live 46 miles away from work so my monthly gasoline cost should drop.:)

TerraMedicX 10-05-2005 13:31

Just heard last night that the FD I volunteer for is moving to this schedule for their payed staff starting end of December. Personally, I won't have to do it since I'm still only volunteer with the FD, but my experience in doing long shifts on the ambulance (just finished a 62.5 hour shift on Monday morning and doing it again this weekend!), I think people will probably get used to it. The one REALLY nice part is that it cuts down on travel time/mileage and with gas prices the way they currently are...

Nate.

bgfire 10-07-2005 09:23

Hows the schedule so far, hotpig?

We are currently in negotiations with our city and administration about a trial period.

What schedule did you work prior to this, hotpig? I am also curious what schedule PA Glock Guy is working.

For PA Glock Guy:
The 48/96 works out to an average 56 hour work week, which is the same as what we currently work out here, just in a different format.

Current Schedule: XOXOXOOOOXOXOX

48/96 Schedule: XXOOOOXXOOOOXX

The two schedules are the same number of days, just with a different alignment. Those on duty shifts are 24 hour periods. I know a number of departments on the east coast split the day into 10's and 14's, or 12's. Most of the departments out west just work 24's.

Personally, I think it would be a pain in the rear to have to work partial shifts for multiple days in a row; I'd rather go there and get it done, and have larger blocks of off time.

Keep us posted Hotpig on how things go.

Bill

hotpig 10-07-2005 09:52

Old Schedule: XOXOXOOOOXOXOX

We just started on the 2nd of October so everybody has not done a full rotation yet. I work B - shift and we love it. There is a little twing of depression when you start the second day but it goes away when you consider that under the old schedule you would be getting off but coming right back the next morning.

I have not received any feedback from C - shift but I expect it to be negative. They had no runs on their shift and most likely did not wash their trucks or mow the lawn. I'm sure they did get bored.

A - shift I expect will like it also. They tend to like working overtime so the 48 is not to bad for them.

Pa Glock guy 10-08-2005 06:12

bgfire

We work for four days and off for four days. Two, nine hour days, followed by two, fifteen hour nights, then off for four days. The schedule moves up a day after each shift. It comes out to 48 hours but they count it as a 42 hour work week because we work 16 day in the month. We also have four platoons as opposed to your 3 so theres no way you could work this schedule anyways. By the way, please dont take it personally about your long shift, on the east coast were not used to working that schedule. Most of the cities around here pretty much have the same schedule as we work but one city close by has three platoons and works the 24 hours on and 48 hours off. They like it so I guess you learn to like what you have. To me 48 hours on duty seems too much time to be at work. I dont know where in CA you are but I wouldnt want to be cooped up for 48 hours straight in the middle of winter. lol Were also blessed that the cost of living is relatively cheap and most of us live close to work so its no big deal to drive back and forth so much. But if you work in a district where the cost of living is too much that you cant live there I understand the 48 on so you can live farther away and are not driving as much.

hotpig 10-10-2005 10:57

Every shift has done a rotation. Much to my surprise C - shift likes the schedule but the guy on A - shift that pushed for the trial period has declared it a disaster and my fault or sending him a link on the 48/96.

This is the same guy that pushed us towards the IAFF two years ago. He organized secret meetings with the other guys up to the point that a Official vote of all the guys had to be recorded. He then told me that the guys wanted to join the Union and since I was the senior paid guy it was my job to approach the District Board.

They kept me out of the loop because my Brother is the Chief. I had no idea that the guys were talking to the IAFF until right before the Board meeting.

The board said we were welcome to join the Union but they would not recognize it. We opted for a "Memorandum of Understanding" instead of the IAFF.

groverglock 10-14-2005 06:35

Shift Schedule

I work as a FT Pro. Our schedule looks like this:

XXOOXXOOXXOOOOOOOO

Those 8 days off are GREAT!

Victory 10-14-2005 11:07

Quote:

Originally posted by TerraMedicX
Just heard last night that the FD I volunteer for is moving to this schedule for their payed staff starting end of December. Personally, I won't have to do it since I'm still only volunteer with the FD, but my experience in doing long shifts on the ambulance (just finished a 62.5 hour shift on Monday morning and doing it again this weekend!), I think people will probably get used to it. The one REALLY nice part is that it cuts down on travel time/mileage and with gas prices the way they currently are...

Nate.

Volunteers at my station aren't allowed to do more than 24 on the ambulance for liability reasons. Don't need a lawyer saying you ****ed up because you weren't getting a full sleep. Gotta take 6 off every 24. Only time it's a pain in the ass is christmas where me and the other jewish guy are the only coverage.

M1Garand 10-16-2005 16:04

If your station is in the rural area with low call volume, 48/76 hour shifts are tolerable. For busy station, 48/76 hour shifts are suicide.

John Brannen 11-05-2005 16:05

48\96

Hope ya'll r enjoying ur new shift times. I've been working a 48\96 since i started 3yrs. ago and I love it. ol' lady don't like it much but she's gettin' there. Really hope everything goes well with the new transition. Although as with every dept u'll have the ol' timers screamin' b/c of the change. But as I've always heard change has its benefits. The only down side of it where I'm from is they (city government) take away sleep from us. we're here for 48 but only get paid for 37.23hrs. how crappie is that. I,m looking in on that though to see if there is any thing that can change that legeally. So if any body has any advice or legal help post it or email me at jbfires37@hotmail.com please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think it's right for they to deduct us for sleep time but I guess things could but worse.

Thanks in advance 4 ur help
John Brannen

hotpig 11-05-2005 16:13

In my State they could deduct time for sleeping but would have to pay us for getting out of bed for runs during that time. No FD in my area does this but some of the Ambulance Services do.

John Brannen 11-05-2005 16:36

Money

thats how they do us . we get paid min for min unless a call falls between 2am & 4am and then we get paid 8hrs.they used to not do that until they found out that the state requires a minimum of 5hrs of uninterruted sleep. but still if u don't have a call then u dont get $$$$. so in that chase ur just s.o.l. . Just a couple months ago they started considering capts. administrative so they know get paid a straight 40hrs. man they don't even have to get out of bed to go to a fully involved structure fire no matter how big or small if they dont want to. everything know is put on the Lts. shoulders for more weight for they to bear & of course that adversly effects us FFers B/c they took men from the line. it's all a bunch of crap, crap & more crap. thanks for reply, John Brannen