Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Book Rack (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Just finished "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448511)

The Habit 10-19-2005 15:28

Just finished "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden

I can't believe it took me this long to read this book. Mark Bowden is a great journalist. I felt like I was on the street with Task Force Ranger.

For anyone that hasn't read this book and is interested in how the **** hit the fan on the streets of Mogadishu, go buy it... right now.

Dandapani 10-19-2005 15:56

I thought they did a good job in the movie maintaining that bam, bam, bam, action the book depicted.

G31Steve 10-20-2005 10:08

I agree,BHD is one of my faveorite books.

Boondock Saint 10-22-2005 21:40

Arrrraaahhh! That does it, I've been wanting to read BHD for a while now... I'm buying it tomorrow.

cysoto 10-23-2005 21:02

Black Hawk Down

I guess I need to give Bowden a second chance and read this book of his. I have heard many avid readers talk about Black Hawk Down and I have yet to find anyone who doesn't love this book.

In my case, the first (and only) Bowden book that I have read is: Killing Pablo and this was a huge disapointment to me. In Killing Pablo the author has a hard time sticking to just telling "one story at'a time". I get the feeling he wanted to make this into a high paced thriller but he failed miserably at it.

Slinger646 10-24-2005 03:29

never read BHD, but I have read in the company of heros, which was great!

mac66 11-02-2005 09:21

BHD is well worth reading.

Alexii 11-07-2005 03:30

More than halfway through the book myself. I wish they come up a special edition of Bowden's BHD; hardbound and more photos.

I agree, they did a great job with the film. Kudos to Ridley Scott.

VictorLouis 11-07-2005 17:50

One of the few things the Commander-in-Briefs

did that was laudable....

CMoH to the two non-comm snipers that gave their lives to help evacuate the downed pilots and other troops.

PeterJasonMN 11-14-2005 00:26

I'd found a couple photo sites that had pics that the Rangers/PJs and other guys there had taken, along with photos the families had released of the falling, including the Delta guys' families.

Of course however I bookmark these sites, then my computer crashed!

There were pictures I remember of Matt Rierson's family (Yes he wasn't killed on 3 OCT but was soon after), and one of Earl Fillmore as he was bodyguarding Schwarzkopf in Saudi Arabia.

Killing Pablo was a little disconjointed, but still an amazing read about a very chaotic time and place. During a training session for a previous job I'd met an individual who perhaps had been involved in one of the facets of the hunt. He wouldn't say much, but said it was a helluva time trying to find him.

I **believe** it was on the special edition dvd that Bowden hinted about his next book: Major General William F. Garrison (Ret). If that comes to fruition I will be at Barnes on it's release day!

losangeles 11-22-2005 23:49

I saw the movie. It was entertaining.

I've lived in Mogadishu for a couple of weeks before the anarchy. The society was more organized then and crime was minimal. It didn't take long for all hell to break lose, though, and the country is still in shambles to this day with no government.

lawman 11-23-2005 03:07

Great Bokk. DVD has great documentary about the actual incident.

Mister B 11-27-2005 23:51

Re: Black Hawk Down

Quote:

Originally posted by cysoto
I guess I need to give Bowden a second chance and read this book of his. I have heard many avid readers talk about Black Hawk Down and I have yet to find anyone who doesn't love this book.

In my case, the first (and only) Bowden book that I have read is: Killing Pablo and this was a huge disapointment to me. In Killing Pablo the author has a hard time sticking to just telling "one story at'a time". I get the feeling he wanted to make this into a high paced thriller but he failed miserably at it.

It's hard to follow up a success like BHD. If you read between the lines it looks like the Delta/Seal guys were leading him own about the Pablo Escobar mission. I think they wanted that story to be told, but no one looked into it until they pointed Bowden in the right direction.

spober 11-30-2005 19:55

i know what im reading saturday am witha couple espressos!

yesireeeee.let BHD sit too long.