Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Martial Arts Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What does Royce have to win? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487763)

Victory 01-16-2006 22:35

What does Royce have to win?

In regard to Dana White's announcement tonight...

Nothing in my opinion

Matt hughes knows this will be an easy fight and frankly i agree with him.

Torvalus 01-17-2006 11:39

Royce is getting Huge $$. Didn't he fight in K1 for over a million some time ago? Royce see's himself as having a few select fights left in him, and to get one of those you have to pay big money! I agree though Hughes is going to pound him.

Dogbite 01-17-2006 18:35

Yeah, Hughes will probably win, but I kind of hate to see it. I hope Royce gives him a run for his money. I cant wait to see this fight!

gr81disp 01-18-2006 19:20

My head says, Hughes' strength and familiarity with submissions will enable him to pound Royce, but my heart is hoping it is '93.

Davegrave 01-18-2006 19:30

Royce dominated when no one else had a strong understanding of BJJ.

He's past his prime, going up against a world class fighter at the peak of his abilities.

Hughs studies BJJ extensively, both for his use, and in defense of it. Wrestling, striking....He's a total package fighter.

I can't imagine Gracie beating him. However, no one would have imagined Gracie beating everyone back in his prime either. He's been known to shock.

My money is on Hughes, but I wouldn't be horribly surprised by an upset.

One way or the other, I can't wait.

I also can't wait for Couture-Liddel 3. I'm upgrading to digital cable tomorrow, so I can see the PPV in the comfort of my own home for once.

I'm a UFC addict!!!!

BlackBelt 01-20-2006 08:07

Don't underestimate Gracie. He's a tough guy. He knows exactly what he's walking into. My only thoughts on the subject are that he's past his prime as a UFC fighter, and it's a young mans game.
But, I imagine that the Gracie camp has the best of the best guys to train with. The 'rules' of the match favor Hughes, but Gracie knows the score, and I hope he comes to fight.
Gracie and Hughes...Both are good fighters with heart.

Fear762 01-20-2006 19:27

The difference between royce and hughes is royce took on heavyweights back in the days. Hughes would of got pounded by alot of the guys royce beat.

Dogbite 01-20-2006 20:35

I miss the old days of the UFC. I don't like the weight classes. I say let everyone fight it out, and see who is the undisputed champion. Watching different body weights fight was very interesting. I know the weight classes were an attempt to legitimize and main stream the UFC, but I don't care, I like the pure form better.

Davegrave 01-20-2006 22:54

Quote:

Originally posted by Dogbite
I miss the old days of the UFC. I don't like the weight classes. I say let everyone fight it out, and see who is the undisputed champion. Watching different body weights fight was very interesting. I know the weight classes were an attempt to legitimize and main stream the UFC, but I don't care, I like the pure form better.
I say it's good to have weight classes in general......but, I'd like to see some inter-weight competitions. Like maybe, champs could fight champs from other classes for a "unified" or "undisputed" UFC title.

I'd like to see something like that.

walangkatapat 01-21-2006 10:45

I don't follow UFC unless it's on regular tv, but why isn't BJ Penn fighting Hughes again?

Torvalus 01-21-2006 11:11

They are screwing over GSP and making him fight Penn to see who gets Hughes.

Boondock Saint 01-22-2006 15:48

Quote:

Originally posted by BlackBelt
and it's a young mans game.

Don't let Randy here you say that! But seriously your right, Royce is past his prime. He hasn't been viewed the same since he was beaten by Walid. He is however still a legend. My thoughts on the fight are much the same as most, I think Matt is going to destroy him, but in a way I hope he doesn't. I have been a fan of MMA since UFC 1 and Royce is one of the few old school guys left. Shamrock is another one of the fading legends and his last few fights where embarrassing. I want to remember those guys as bigger than life and to see them lose fight after fight is...well frankly...sad. It's kind of like if they made another Indiana Jones movie. I want to remember Indy the way he was, not an old man chasing after the ancient can of Ensure.

MARTIN FISHER 01-31-2006 20:39

We'll just have to see. I would be hesitant to call Royce a "has been" to his face. They are both wonderful fighters and I am looking forward to the fight.

Fear762 02-01-2006 01:40

I hope gracie shows up wearing his gui. I know it might not be patriotic rootin for gracie but i wouldnt mind seeing a rear naked choke using the gui ;f

Victory 02-01-2006 18:54

Quote:

Originally posted by MARTIN FISHER
I would be hesitant to call Royce a "has been" to his face.
Matt hughes certainly wasn't

Davegrave 02-01-2006 19:42

Quote:

Originally posted by Victory
Matt hughes certainly wasn't
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.
Hughes sure acted smug. But then again, when you're Matt Freaking Hughes, you can act however you want, cuz you can damn sure back it up.

I can't wait till this Saturday.

taco101 02-01-2006 23:00

Matt was just as smug and conceited before his fight with BJ Penn. BJ dominated and choked Matt out. Hmmmmm.

matt1512 02-01-2006 23:20

I agree hughes is in his prime and royce isn't. The people royce beat would of killed matt back in the day. Like ken in his prime. Don't count royce out.

Victory 02-01-2006 23:59

Quote:

Originally posted by taco101
Matt was just as smug and conceited before his fight with BJ Penn. BJ dominated and choked Matt out. Hmmmmm.
How much has matt hughes advanced since UFC 46? That was 2 years ago and matt hughes has really advanced his game.

taco101 02-02-2006 11:03

Quote:

Originally posted by Victory
How much has matt hughes advanced since UFC 46? That was 2 years ago and matt hughes has really advanced his game.
Good point. We shall see.