Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The US Air Force Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Anyone on Board serve in the Army Air Corp? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500090)

RussP 02-11-2006 15:35

Anyone on Board serve in the Army Air Corp?

Thought we had one member from WWII.

oct_97 02-11-2006 16:57

In 1960 I served with a then USAF Sgt. that had been a flying Sgt. in WWII. This was on an isolated radar site at Sioux Lookout Canada, WOW, where did the time go?

John

RussP 02-11-2006 17:12

Quote:

Originally posted by oct_97
In 1960 I served with a then USAF Sgt. that had been a flying Sgt. in WWII. This was on an isolated radar site at Sioux Lookout Canada, WOW, where did the time go?

John

Bet he had some interesting stories!

Time? Good question... :cool:

Danny Reid 02-15-2006 17:44

My grandfather was. He served in the 15th as a waist gunner on a B-17. During WWII he flew out of North Africa, then later Italy. He never really talked about it much.

habu3 02-16-2006 20:49

Army Air Corp

Not me, but my dad was Nav on B-24s in North Africa and also out of the UK. He did Berlin and some of the other fun trips. Their plane got shot up and they had to ditch in the North Sea once. He still has his old flight jacket, one of the survival maps and a diary of the missions they flew. Pretty cool stuff.

He also did a tour during Korea and a couple during Vietnam to Thailand and Vietnam.

RussP 02-16-2006 21:14

Re: Army Air Corp

Quote:

Originally posted by habu3
Not me, but my dad was Nav on B-24s in North Africa and also out of the UK. He did Berlin and some of the other fun trips. Their plane got shot up and they had to ditch in the North Sea once. He still has his old flight jacket, one of the survival maps and a diary of the missions they flew. Pretty cool stuff.

He also did a tour during Korea and a couple during Vietnam to Thailand and Vietnam.

What did he fly into Thailand? Where?

You gonna get the flight jacket?:cool:

habu3 02-20-2006 21:38

Thailand trips

Not sure what they took into Thailand. That was in 62/63 timeframe and I believe they went into U Tapao. He was doing some 'advising' at the time. That was before any of the big push stuff that started a few years later.

A.F. Lineman 02-25-2006 01:35

My Great Uncle did the transition from AAC to USAF. 30 years in. Became a teacher in Platca, FL. He was the reason I joined and stayed for 20 years. Two people I really wanted at my retirement were him and my Grandfather (who served with him in WWII and then got out.)Both are long gone.;?

GraveroberA1 02-28-2006 14:58

My Grandpa was after the war; he was in the Navy during the war. He was one of the first Americans into Japan after the bomb (don't remember witch city). He droped out of high school to enlist after Pearl, was in the Pacific. Got out after the war, decided he liked the military and re-enlisted with the Army, and was in the Army when they split and went to the Air Force.

I always told him he only had two more branches and he would have had all five. God I miss him.