Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   US Navy Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Anyone been to San Diego? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501720)

MIDN Raymond 02-14-2006 18:41

Anyone been to San Diego?

I am going to be in San Diego this summer for a month. I'm curious if anyone has spent a prolonged amount of time in the city, maybe suggest some places to go to on lib. Also, I'm a Midshipman, if anyone could clue me in on some of the things active duty sailors do to mess with the middies, or some tricks of the trade to make Navy life more enjoyable. At least help me avoid looking like Midshipman Schmuckatelly. Any help will be much appreciated.

9508 02-15-2006 07:44

It's been 25 years since I've been to San Diego, so I won't be of much use as far as the local libo attractions go. As for pranks pulled on MIDN/newbies, here are a few:

Sea bat
Sound powered phone batteries
Mail Bouy Watch
GU-11
B1-RD
ID10T form
Any type of "punch", as in "Go down to DC Central and get an HT punch".

Streck-Fu 02-15-2006 08:23

Go downtown and eat in the Gaslight district. Lots of good Italian food.

The Aviation Museum is really impressive and free for active duty.

You cannot spend a month in San Diego and miss the zoo.

F14Scott 02-15-2006 22:22

Final bearing grease
The ship's bowling alley and pool
Pellican hook

DjA 02-16-2006 01:56

Not military, but I do live in San Diego and hang out with a couple of inactive/retired Navy guys.

Your best bet for good times in San Diego is probably Pacific Beach. Garnet St in particular has a million bars and clubs, lots of lovely ladies, and good late night burritos. The crowd is pretty fratty, but there are always a ton of military guys at Moondoggies and PB Bar and Grill, which are down at the bottom of the street.

Mission Beach down by the coaster is pretty busy at night too. A little shadier crowd, but good times anyway.

Sea World, the Zoo, Balboa park are the three big tourist attractions, closely follwed by the Gaslamp/Harbor area.

Horton Plaza mall is a massive outdoor mall that is walking distance from the Harbor, for all of your expensive shopping needs.

If you want to know anything more, or more specific, message me and I'll let you know.

Sam1380 02-16-2006 11:13

Hey don't they have a nude beach there?
Make sure you get your Chanel fever shots.

Crazy Ed 02-17-2006 03:03

Last time I was in San Diego was 97. We spent most of our time in Coronado. Great restaurants there. Doubt you'll find 50' of chow line there though, but you could try the Green Anchor Lounge on NAB. I'm sure someone there will be happy to help you out.

Great place for liberty. I went to basic and A' school at RTC/SSC in 73/74.

Ed (Retired Master Chief/EOD) ;f

truckstop cop 02-17-2006 09:18

i lived in San dog for 10 years,loved it there!! ya need to eat at Jaliscos on the silver strand,go to the Point Loma lighthouse,there are a couple all you can eat Greek restaurants (Zorbas on broadway in Chula vista),mission bay,go to Tijuana,any 24 hour taco stand,Seaport village on Harbor drive,go to LA for Disneyland,go to Julian for pie,horton plaza(downtown San Diego),walk around the Hotel del Coronado,bit of Sweden restaurant on El Cajon blvd.,deep sea fishing,whale watching,surfing,there are so many clubs and bars,the Zoo,seaworld etc,etc,etc...

oh, dont go onboard and act like some hardnose commissioned officer with the enlisted guys,they know the drill and they can make your life very easy or very very hard.

et2mdo 03-02-2006 14:33

Quote:

Originally posted by truckstop cop
oh, dont go onboard and act like some hardnose commissioned officer with the enlisted guys,they know the drill and they can make your life very easy or very very hard.
That also holds true for when you are commissioned. Do your job, uphold the standards, but don't be a total know-it-all jackass. Sure you've been to college and have a degree, but that really doesn't mean jack squat in the long run. Listen to your chief... it'll take years before you know as much about the ship as he does.

Now let me remove myself from my :soap: .

Not picking on you or anything. After all, I'm basically a midshipman myself (officer candidate if you want to get technical). I just see a lot of mids here who are going to go to their ship and act like a jackass. Pisses me off to no end... especially when they don't listen to anything I have to say.

shuwtist 03-02-2006 20:15

Was stationed on North Island for 10 years. I was in San Diego in October 05. The gaslamp district is great. Did eat at a great Italian restaurant. You'll also need to go to Kansas City BBQ house, where they filmed the scene from Top Gun. "Take me home now or lose me forever!" It's across from Seaport Village. There's a great Hooters in the GL district as well! San Diego is the finest city in America, too damn bad it's in Kalifornia! Enlisted guys really don't like Middies too much, so be careful.... Hah!! You will need to stand the mail buoy watch, it's a right of passage.