Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   US Army Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Nephew Enlisting (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520391)

Bob1950 03-27-2006 09:51

Nephew Enlisting

My nephew will be graduating from HIIIIIGH school this May and will be enlisting in the Army in August. I'm sure he has never fired any weapon and I just want to give him some basics and give him a feel for a handgun. I'm not planning on training him. I'll leave that to the Army so he can learn their way. I just want him to have a feel for the action of a handgun.

My question is, what is the Army's standard issue? I'd like him to at least have a feel for it.

Thanks.

hi speed 03-27-2006 10:05

Hi Bob,

Hi Speed here! I will PM you as to my opinion on this subject.;)

fxdwngflyr 03-27-2006 15:19

Standard Issue Handgun

That will be the M9 9mm by Berretta.

He will not shoot that weapon unless he is in a field where he will be required to use it.

He will be issued the M16A2. You can show him an AR-15. It is similar enough.

MarkP 03-27-2006 21:01

First : Congratulate your nephew for me. What MOS is he choosing?
Second : I don't think he will have a chance to see an M9 in basic training - I agree with the above post , M16a2 most likely.
Third : If he isn't a runner now , he better get started ;)

If you don't have an AR platforn , see if there is a nearby range that has one for rent. Most indoor ranges have rentals for customer use.

until that day,
MP

seanmac45 03-27-2006 21:29

Good luck to him.

AnimalK 03-29-2006 22:32

Wish him Godspeed and good luck for us.

I look forward to calling him "Soldier" when he finishes Basic.

Thank you for your good influence on him and his desire to serve.

:patriot:

BRAVHART 03-30-2006 03:54

Talk him out of it! Quickly!

herky 04-01-2006 03:36

nice post braveheart, talk a young man out of serving his country and realizing that there is something greater than himself, because a young man doesnt need to learn respect, discipline and how to be man. Why you would even post this is beyond me. :frown:

Bob tell your nephew good luck and stay safe, god speed.:patriot:

BRAVHART 04-01-2006 05:27

Quote:

Originally posted by herky
nice post braveheart, talk a young man out of serving his country and realizing that there is something greater than himself, because a young man doesnt need to learn respect, discipline and how to be man. Why you would even post this is beyond me. :frown:

Bob tell your nephew good luck and stay safe, god speed.:patriot:

Thats how I feel about it. Simple as that. Never working for the US military again. :)

Love the soldiers absolutly HATE the miltary and its systematic stupidity.

CHCB 04-04-2006 05:31

My congratulations to your nephew. My observation, after 29 years of service, is that the Army, like anything else, is largely what you make of it.

If you look for it, you can find a bad time anywhere..and the reverse applies, as well.

I won't try and tell you that I've loved every single day I've been in, there have been many I wouldn't want to relive. When all is said and one, however, there have been a hell of a lot more good days than bad.