Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   US Navy Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Well the AF is screwing off too much... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574848)

TexasGlock23 08-07-2006 22:34

Well the AF is screwing off too much...

so I spoke with a NAVY recruiter today. I take the ASVAB next monday. I want to do Intel, EOD or Master of Arms(is that correct?) I want to be a police officer when I get out, I love guns as you can tell and I want to do something that will get me a good gov. job if I decide to get out. Any info on this will be appreciated. The AF could not guarantee me anything at all and wants me to drop another 18 pounds! :frown: I will be nothing but bones then. Thanks guys

KIDCOP 08-08-2006 19:49

The important thing to remember is it matters not what job you had in the Navy/service prior to becoming a Police Officer. What matters is a clean nose and doing your job well. Find something you want to do, not what you think will help you come a cop. Master at Arms, no way my friend. Don't count on some Navy qual making you a shoe in. Some places have their own EOD and would like EOD trained people to apply but you still have to meet back ground/psych/physical/drug abuse requirements. (some people just are not cut out for the job)

I worked on Navy ejection seats for 20 years before becoming a Police Officer. Very little use for that now. I enjoyed the Navy and my job for the most part. My Seniors knew I was interested in becoming a cop so I was assigned to the Singapor Police for shore patrol one night. Doing 120K though the streets of Singapor was a blast. The same command made sure I was able to attend reserve police classes on my off time. That let me see if I was really interested in the job.

If I had it to do over again I would work on a 4 year degree in CJ/Business something on what little time off I had and raising a family.

TexasGlock23 08-08-2006 19:56

I have CJ classes in community college, I was working towards my degree. But I am not happy where I am so I decided to join the military. I know the job doesn't really matter, I just want something that I am interested in and not what the recruiter wants me to be interested in.

KIDCOP 08-09-2006 00:48

It will be the "Classifier" who will give you a school. I would not sign a contract unless there is a school guarantee you are interested in. As a gun guy you might even think of being a Gunners Mate.

I was Navy Air, had a blast and have seen things that would make most peoples head spin. heh, heh.

It's a big world out there. I would not trade anything for the places I've been and the people I've seen. Sometimes people get a little cranky thinking how bad it is here. They have not seen how some other people live. Coming home to the US is alaways a relief.

Depending on how you do on the ASVAB will give the "Classifier" the raw scores with which he can offer you schools.

If you are interested in EOD, I believe there are "rates" or job skills they pull from. As a AME I wasn't able to move onto some of the more fun jobs and besides the Navy was always a little short on us.

Remember this though, the Classifier is like a closer and it looks bad when he looses a sale. Seems like some of the better schools come open towards the end of the month.

Just so you know I was a recruiter over 25 years ago. It was hard duty but my reward was going to China Lake. There I was involved in doing a eval on the then new F/A-18. We called it ugly and the Navy still bought it. The problems we saw then has been improved with the Super 18 which I never worked on. That squardron about worked me to death.

Another little known fact is I loaded the pilots seat for the movie Flight of the Intruder. Movie sucked but it was a fun 3 days of hard work for 3 seconds of film. I was back at China Lake then but working for the Base. That was a fun filled tour. I was also involved in the NACES seat which is now the Navy Standard Ejection Seat. I was the poor SOB who signed the seat was ready for a test shot out of the back of our white F-4 and was safe for flight. I did a total of 17 of those. I also shot M-14's for the base rifle team then as well. I was ordered to Camp Perry in 1990. Heh Heh. Free ammo and free match grade rifles are hard to beat.

TexasGlock23 08-09-2006 06:46

Quote:

Originally posted by KIDCOP
As a gun guy you might even think of being a Gunners Mate.

looked into it already, waiting for a reply