Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Glockers Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   It's been 45 days and no word from the sheriff ! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619042)

FortyCaliber 11-20-2006 21:36

It's been 45 days and no word from the sheriff !

Well, I've never been in this situation before. :sad:

I submitted my renewal app in early October. My carry permit expired last week.

I called the sheriff's office last week and they said my application was still being processed and that I'd get something in the mail from them.

Today was the 45th day since I submitted my renewal application.

Now what do I do ? :nailbiting:

Any advice will be appreciated and taken with a grain of salt!

orangehole 11-20-2006 23:42

What county are you in? It took me this long for Delaware county. if you read closely, they have 45 business days which technically could take you into December!. I filed mine on Oct 2 and received approval on Nov 17th. Be patient. it should arrive any day now. Did the sherrif contact your references yet? My 2 friends were pleased to get 7am wake up calls from the sherrif! I personally would not rock the boat. The last thing you want to do is piss off the sherrif which could cause more delays

paccw 11-21-2006 04:52

I walked into montgomery co courthouse and walked out with new ID card in about 20 minutes.

Renewal is not hard to do at all.Go to the courthouse you get your ID card from.

G23.40 11-21-2006 05:35

Not from Lehigh County, new or renewal does not make any different, it'll take somewhere from 30 to 45 business days(Sat-Sun don't count) to get it.

Str8_Shooter_85 11-21-2006 08:18

Quote:

Originally posted by paccw
I walked into montgomery co courthouse and walked out with new ID card in about 20 minutes.

Renewal is not hard to do at all.Go to the courthouse you get your ID card from.

I had the same experience in MontCo. I waited three days for my local police to run a check on me. Then I simply headed to the courthouse and was in and out in all of 15/20 minutes. I got there before the office technically opens but the guy was nice and took care of my anyway.

G23.40 11-22-2006 16:45

Just received my renewal LCF today, I applied on the 20th of last Oct and the issued date was Nov. 20th. My old one won't expires until 01/2007, my new one is good to 11/2011.

Have you get yours yet?.

FortyCaliber 11-22-2006 21:51

Delco seems to be a little behind on their permit checks. I never had this problem before.

It just doesn't seem right that an insta-check takes 10 minutes but a LTCF takes 45 days. :impatient:

I don't have a copy of the law in front of me, but I thought it said "45 days", yet the sheriff's instructions for the application says "45 working days".

Perhaps the sheriff's interpretation is not inline with the way the law is written?

Doesn't the sheriff's office work 7 days a week anyway? :headscratch:

If the sheriff's office isn't following the law, who do I contact...The county DA or State AG?

I have a valid Florida permit...I wonder if that covers me in the interim.

Too many questions and not enough answers. :brickwall:

Str8_Shooter_85 11-23-2006 11:25

Quote:

Originally posted by FortyCaliber
I have a valid Florida permit...I wonder if that covers me in the interim.
Yes, a FL permit covers you. You can carry with only a FL permit and it is perfectly legal. But get your PA permit. Reciprocity laws can change at any time.

Nicky D 11-23-2006 14:24

Here in Bucks county my wife and I renewed our permits in October, it only took I think 3 days to get them back. We were shocked that they came so quick.

SUE ROVR 11-23-2006 20:15

"Reciprocity laws can change at any time."

Interestingly, but unrelated, Delaware has it written into the statute that it can only change annually and has a one year before the change takes effect.

Other than the may issue thing (and BTW I went to a hearing to see and it was no big deal) they clearly have a sensible way of doing things, even if it is a bit restrictive.

(PS this is why my Utah overlaps a year with the PA) Also, it says 45 DAYS in the statute. Not business days. You could sue if you wanted to be a prick about it.

paccw 11-24-2006 13:58

Alot of states say you must have a state permit if your a resident of the state. Out of state permits don't always cover you.

orangehole 11-24-2006 23:24

This is a grey subject that still has no official answer. I too am carrying with only my Florida permit right now since the courthouse was closed today to pick up my renewal. SOme people say it is fine, others say you should not.

According to the Florida web page..."Florida issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals regardless of whether or not they are Florida residents. MICHIGAN and NEW HAMPSHIRE will honor the Florida license ONLY IF the license holder is a legal resident of Florida"

There is no mention of PA.

I also wonder that since I am approved to pick up my new PA permit, that I am officially covered from the date of approval even though I may not posses the actual license?

Nicky D 11-25-2006 05:06

Quote:

Originally posted by orangehole
I also wonder that since I am approved to pick up my new PA permit, that I am officially covered from the date of approval even though I may not posses the actual license?
Technically I would say sure you are covered, but get checked by a cop, you have a gun but no license on you then I think he is not going to believe "but officer my permit is at the courthouse waiting for me to pick it up." If you did, then you would be dam lucky.

allglock 11-28-2006 16:48

Delco is tough!
If they cant get ahold of your references, you gotta wait.
Both of my references were local buisnessmen, and the Sheriffs office called them both at about 6-7 PM when they are on their way home!
Why not call them at their buisness during the day?
It took me about 45 days (total) to get my renewal last year.

FortyCaliber 12-14-2006 22:10

Tomorrow will be 70 consecutive days and 50 "business" days since I applied for my renewal.

I am :steamed: and getting :impatient:.

PennGlock 12-14-2006 22:34

Man, that's lame. I would probably start calling daily and nagging. Make it so it's too much trouble for them not to give you your permit.

G23.40 12-15-2006 05:30

That's suck man.

I don't think they called my two preferences, this was a third time that I use those two names, they both are my co-workers and both said never recieved a call from Sheriff's office.

wewo 12-15-2006 10:13

Try calling and explaining your situation calmly and nicely, something like "I put in my renewal 60 days ago, now my prior one has expired, when can I expect my new one. At this time I am unable to carry and I feel unsafe, is there anything we (yes we) can do to expedite the process?"

LittleRedToyota 12-15-2006 10:20

Re: It's been 45 days and no word from the sheriff !

Quote:

Well, I've never been in this situation before. :sad:

I submitted my renewal app in early October. My carry permit expired last week.

I called the sheriff's office last week and they said my application was still being processed and that I'd get something in the mail from them.

Today was the 45th day since I submitted my renewal application.

Now what do I do ? :nailbiting:

Any advice will be appreciated and taken with a grain of salt!

assuming you are still eligible for a license, you are actually still covered by your PA LTCF.

from the PA UFA (available as a PDF file on the BATFE website at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaw...nnsylvania.pdf):

Quote:

Section 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license:

(b) Exceptions. The provisions of subsection(a) shall not apply to:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of the arrest and that individual is otherwise elgible for renewal of the license.

(subsection A just defines carrying without a current license as a crime. subsection b provides exceptions to that being a crime.)

this means (assuming you have not somehow become ineligible to have an LTCF) that you are still covered by your old PA LTCF since it expired within the last 6 months. (a cop might still arrest you as some of them don't seem to really know PA gun laws very well, but it won't hold up in court.)

(note: the version of the PA UFA availble on AOL seems to be out of date. it does not contain this paragraph or paragraph 13 of section 6106. however, the AOL version is dated 2000 and the BATFE version is dated 2003.)

btw, the UFA says "days" not "business days". nowhere in the entire thing does the term "business days" even appear. so this crap about sheriffs claiming they can take 45 business days is just that...crap.

plow78 12-15-2006 22:23

Quote:

Delco seems to be a little behind on their permit checks. I never had this problem before.

Doesn't the sheriff's office work 7 days a week anyway? :headscratch:

:brickwall:

Not in Delco!:rofl: See next post