Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illinois Glockers' Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Illinois Question (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628837)

Herdsman76 12-15-2006 05:01

Illinois Question

Earlier this morning I read on MSN.com that a Chicago Bears football player was arrested for gun possession. That wasn't what peaked my interest. What did was that he was arrested for not having a Firearms Owner ID Card.

I'm curious, what does this card do for you as owners there in Illinois? Are there limits to how many firearms you can own? Limits on mag capacity, "assault rifle" features, etc.

Again, just curious...

H76

Dandapani 12-15-2006 06:33

When I lived in Illinois and had FOID card (1970s-1988), it allowed me to purchase and own firearms and purchase ammo. Still had the 3 day waiting restrictions for handguns. No firearms were "listed" on the permit. I freely purchased and sold firearms among my friends. It seemed more like a formality than anything.

isp2605 12-15-2006 07:47

Re: Illinois Question

Quote:

Originally posted by Herdsman76
I'm curious, what does this card do for you as owners there in Illinois? Are there limits to how many firearms you can own? Limits on mag capacity, "assault rifle" features, etc.
The FOID card was implemented in 1968. $5 for 5 yrs. That was the cost then, still the same cost today. $3 goes to conservation and $2 goes to administer the card.
If you want to see what the application looks like you can DL a copy here: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/6-181.pdf Once you send in the card a computerized check is done to ensure the applicant has no criminal record and has not been admitted into a mental health facility. The card looks something like a driver's license with the same information.
Before an IL resident can buy or possess guns or ammo they have to have a FOID card. It does not permit CCW. There are no limits to how many firearms you can own, no restrictions on mag capacity, no assault weapon ban/restrictions. You don't register your guns nor does the FOID ask if you even have guns. When you buy a gun you have to show your FOID card. The info on the card is used as ID to complete the fed form. When you buy ammo you just show your FOID card, no info is recorded.
Some cities in IL have more restrictive gun laws but those are not related to the FOID card.

Herdsman76 12-15-2006 09:00

Interesting. I appreciate the information.

The funny thing is that the football player can't spend the $5 for the card.

Here in Texas we don't have the need for the ID so I was interested in asking why the cards were used there.

H76

isp2605 12-15-2006 09:20

Quote:

Originally posted by Herdsman76
The funny thing is that the football player can't spend the $5 for the card.
He has a prior unlawful weapon conviction, and I believe he's still on probation, so he probably can't get a FOID card.

bluelineman 12-15-2006 09:25

It lets the gov't keep an eye on their sheep. :holysheep:

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 19:36

Quote:

Originally posted by isp2605
He has a prior unlawful weapon conviction, and I believe he's still on probation, so he probably can't get a FOID card.
Not to mention, not all football players, or "professional" athletes in general, are actually residents of the state they are playing for. And you have to be a resident of Illinois in order to even apply for an FOID card. Which would technically make him not guilty of possessing a handgun without an FOID, save for the fact that he is not allowed to possess a handgun anyway, due to prior problems.

Illinois also has their own Assault Weapons ban, don't they? And I know for sure that Chicago, if not all of Cook County has made it illegal to possess a handgun. With or without an FOID card.

Boy, am I glad I was able to "ESCAPE FROM CHICAGO". Unfortunately, I have to go back there for the next couple of days.

isp2605 12-15-2006 19:48

Quote:

Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs
Not to mention, not all football players, or "professional" athletes in general, are actually residents of the state they are playing for.

The residence that was raided is his, which makes him a resident. It was a drug raid and one was taken in custody. I don't believe Tank was home when the raid was done. He turned himself in later on the FOID charges.

Quote:

Illinois also has their own Assault Weapons ban, don't they?

Nope, no AWB in IL.

Quote:

And I know for sure that Chicago, if not all of Cook County has made it illegal to possess a handgun. With or without an FOID card.

Handguns can be possessed in Chicago provided they are registered thru the city.
His residence is in Lake Co which is north of Chicago and Cook Co.

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 20:01

Having a residence in a state does not necessarily make you a resident of that state. Many athletes, and people of other professions, buy property outside of their legal state of residence, and they only live there for certain periods of time.

For the regular Joe, unless you owned it prior to 1986, and you registered it at that time, and every year since, you can not possess a handgun in the city of Chicago, and I am pretty sure, in all of Cook County. Not even with an FOID. You can register long guns, but not handguns. You can buy handguns on the outskirts of Chicago, with a Chicago address on your FOID and drivers license all day long. But you aren't supposed to bring it into Chicago. Not even in a locked case, in your locked trunk, passing through on the freeway, on your way to a free state.

isp2605 12-15-2006 20:22

Quote:

Having a residence in a state does not necessarily make you a resident of that state.

I am very well aware of the legal points concerning residency.

Quote:

For the regular Joe, unless you owned it prior to 1986, and you registered it at that time, and every year since, you can not possess a handgun in the city of Chicago, and I am pretty sure, in all of Cook County. (etc...)

I'm also very well aware of that and the other laws in IL too.
Are you aware his residence is in Gurnee? So none of the Chicago/Cook Co part matters.

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 20:36

Quote:

I am very well aware of the legal points concerning residency.

I'm also very well aware of that and the other laws in IL too.
Are you aware his residence is in Gurnee? So none of the Chicago/Cook Co part matters.

I never stated he lived in Chicago. I was simply confirming for the OP how retarded Illinois, and more specifically Chicago gun laws can be, and making the statement that I was glad I moved from there after being a resident from the age of 2 up until I was 30. You then stated you can possess a handgun in Chicago provided it is registered through the city, and that is not true except for in a very few and rare cases. That is why I made the point about Chicago and Cook County. Places I hope to return to, as little as possible if at all, after this weekend. I am telling the family, if they want to see anymore, they are going to have to come down here, or I will meet them in another non-communist state.

isp2605 12-15-2006 20:39

Quote:

You then stated you can possess a handgun in Chicago provided it is registered through the city, and that is not true except for in a very few and rare cases.
What I was doing was clarifying your blanket statement of "And I know for sure that Chicago, if not all of Cook County has made it illegal to possess a handgun. With or without an FOID card." which is not true provided the gun was registered. Your statement quoted above would give a reader the belief no handguns are permitted. That simply isn't true. I was clarifying your blanket statement.

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 20:52

You didn't clarify anything. But I will. Provided you were 21 and already had an FOID so you could legally buy a handgun in 1986, you could register a handgun and keep it legally provided you pay the fee to re-register it every year since then. That means that a currently 41 years old or older, handgun owner, that has continually maintained their FOID, and paid the fee every year in order to keep his handgun registered at the local police department, can now still legally possess a handgun in the city of Chicago. Sounds pretty communist doesn't it?

Not to mention, the gun registration was a grandfather clause. So if you moved away, then tried moving back, you could no longer register the handgun because there was a break in the registration process.

isp2605 12-15-2006 21:06

Quote:

You didn't clarify anything. But I will
So you think your blanket statement of "And I know for sure that Chicago, if not all of Cook County has made it illegal to possess a handgun. With or without an FOID card." is accurate? Sorry, but it isn't. Your initial statement makes it sound like all handguns are illegal in Chicagoland. That simply is not the case as you later clarified. But taking your initial statement as it was initially written the OP, and anyone else, would think differently.
However, none of it has anything at all to do with the OP's original question.
BTW, I'm very familiar with Chicagoland gun laws. Might say I've had more than a passing involvement in them and, if your profile is correct, then even a few years before you were first around.

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 21:18

Quote:

So you think your blanket statement of "And I know for sure that Chicago, if not all of Cook County has made it illegal to possess a handgun. With or without an FOID card." is accurate?
It was accurate when I wrote it, and it is accurate now. If I got caught in Chicago with a handgun, I would be going to jail because it is illegal for me to possess a handgun in Cook County. That law also applies to what, 98.99% of just the Chicago population, and 100% of the rest of the country? Just as they intended.

Sorry to break this to you, but your involvement with Chicago gun laws before I was born makes you nothing more than an old timer. Things change, you can keep up, or you can make vague statements trying to dispel truths that apply to the rest of us.

isp2605 12-15-2006 21:31

Quote:

Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs It was accurate when I wrote it, and it is accurate now.
Sorry, your intial statement was extremely inaccurate. Using your initial statement gives one the impression that everyone with a handgun in Chicago is illegal. I simply pointed out that isn't true. You later clarified that with accurate info.
If you want to believe your initial statement is accurate then go ahead and believe whatever you want.

Quote:

Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs [B]
Sorry to break this to you, but your involvement with Chicago gun laws before I was born makes you nothing more than an old timer. Things change, you can keep up, B]
Dont' worry, I kept up on them. It was part of my job to keep up on them. Hardly a day went by for a lot of years that I wasn't fielding such questions.
You are so knowledgeable of IL gun laws, like your other question "Illinois also has their own Assault Weapons ban, don't they?". Yup, you're right on top of them. :upeyes:

Quote:

Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs or you can make vague statements trying to dispel truths that apply to the rest of us.
Whatever you want to think. Your initial statement was exceeding vague and as a blanket statement completely incorrect.
Going into a long dissertation on the Chicagoland gun laws doesn't matter because none of it has anything to do with the OP's question since Tank doesn't live in either Chicago or Cook Co.

Glocks&Ducs 12-15-2006 21:51

Do you see that symbol behind what I wrote about the ban? That is a question mark. That means I was asking, or making sure. And if you are so worried about the OPs original question, why have you continued to post this far?

isp2605 12-15-2006 21:59

Quote:

Do you see that symbol behind what I wrote about the ban? That is a question mark. That means I was asking, or making sure.

I saw the symbol. It means you were asking because you didn't know. Any other questions you'd like to have answered?

Quote:

And if you are so worried about the OPs original question, why have you continued to post this far?

Why did you think it relevant to post something that had no bearing on the question? Were you trying to impress someone with your extensive 28 yrs of knowledge of living in IL from age 2? Might as well have mentioned some gun law in NC since that has as much relevance as your other information.

oldsmith 12-17-2006 14:33

Quote:

Originally posted by bluelineman
It lets the gov't keep an eye on their sheep. :holysheep:
AMEN!

lonewolf01 12-18-2006 14:15

So if I moved to a suburb outside of cook county, I can bring all my guns and ammo with me as long as I do not carry them on my person? ANd, I do not have to have that card 9FOID) unless I want to purchase a weapon in IL?