Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Bayou Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Employee Learns Lesson - Don't Talk To Strangers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642567)

dawg23 01-16-2007 13:11

Employee Learns Lesson - Don't Talk To Strangers

One of my employees came into my office this morning to tell me the following story (I posted a condensed version on Training and Tactics, without the detailed description of the location):

Yesterday morning (January 15) he stopped to buy gas on his way to work. He stopped at the Shell service station located on Highland Road, next to the I-10 on-ramp, in South Baton Rouge. For those unfamiliar with this part of town, this is the exit where the big water slide is located and is about two blocks from the Country Club of Louisiana - not considered to be the "bad" part of town.

As he was leaving the pumps, a young, polite, well spoken black male walked up to his truck and asked for directions to some place (I didn't ask where). The black dude (BD) reached into the truck and grabbed my guy's wallet, which was lying on the dash. My guy asked that he take the cash ($6) and give back the wallet. The BD pulled a 9mm pistol, told my guy to get the **** out of there, and started walking toward the entrance to the store where an accomplice was waiting in a parked car.

My employee decided to drive past the BD's car to get license plate number. The BD didn't like this and began shooting - hit the truck three times, with one shot blasting out the rear window.

My employee drove across Highland Road to State Police Troop A (about 200 yards away), told a trooper what had happened and gave him a description of the vehicle and license plate number. Troopers drove through the area, spotted the car and arrested the two occupants. They brought the BD's back to Troop A and my guy identified the shooter. Troopers found the 9mm pistol in the BD's car (no wallet) and recovered three slugs from my guy's truck.

Final result is BD charged with attempted murder and my employee vowing to never again talk to strangers.

LSP972 01-16-2007 17:19

I'm glad our guys were on the ball.

As for that area not being "bad"... some of the "citizens" living in CCA down the road are, well... I'll bet these players came from visiting some of them.

You simply cannot get away from thugs these days; no matter how much your house may have cost. ESPECIALLY around here, post-Katrina.

So... has your guy applied for his CC permit yet???

dawg23 01-16-2007 18:21

LSP972:

I am appreciative of the response that Troop A provided. I have to confess that, had I been in a similar situation, my first thought would have been to call EBR Sheriff - just always associate LSP with enforcing driving regulations. Your guys' response was awesome. Please convey my personal thanks to those troopers.

Fortunately, most of those "citizens" to which (I think) you are referring have moved out of CCL. Apparently they didn't feel welcome. I can't imagine why.

As far as my guy applying for a Concealed Handgun permit, my office was buzzing all day about the incident. I think quite a few folks have suddenly re-thought their situational awareness practices and their needs for a means of self defense. I suspect we'll have several taking a CHP class in the immediate future.

Nurseman 01-16-2007 18:33

I applied for my permit after having to pump gas at night when I would come in from NO airport on a late flight. there are very few gas stations that I feel safe in. I do not carry for most things but when I get gas I always have my 26 with me. I have had some uncomfortable encounters while pumping gas in this town. I now get out of the car (with my glock 26 IWB) lock the car with windows up while pumping gas. I see people walking into the store with keys on the seat and the door open all the time in town. It makes me miss NJ where I grew up (they dot allow self serve so you do not have to leave the car)

LSP972 01-17-2007 06:46

Quote:

Originally posted by dawg23
LSP972:

I have to confess that, had I been in a similar situation, my first thought would have been to call EBR Sheriff - just always associate LSP with enforcing driving regulations.

A common misconception. While the uniformed guys' primary responsibility IS traffic, they are still cops and act accordingly.

The only reason you don't see more uniformed state police doing "real policing" is because of all the non-driving morons here who keep us busy cleaning up their crashes.

Funny thing, you only see this mindset (troopers are speed cops) around big cities. In the rural areas, its a different story. I spent my first ten years at Troop F in Monroe, and many times after midnight was the only police car out in a three-parish area. I got to do all sorts of odd-ball investigations.

Anyway, too bad it takes an incident like this to wake up the sheeple. Glad your man came through it okay.

speedlace 02-21-2007 14:36

At least he lived like this guy:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1091fa6d9c&c=1