Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indiana Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   FFL Transfers in N. Indiana (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658731)

StockGlock23 02-18-2007 21:29

FFL Transfers in N. Indiana

I was wondering if there were any people on here or in the N. Indiana area that do FFL transfers. I know of a few gun shops and Pawn Brokers that do them but in the past I have recieved some rather crappy service from them. (In regard to purchases and transfers)

I am planning to buy 2-3 stripped lowers for AR-15s to do a couple builds. Plus I figure if something political happens and it becomes more expensive or impossible in the future to get the parts I will have a couple set aside for myself.

Thanks in advance!

Seven High 02-19-2007 06:52

Try ZX Guns in Goshen In. They are at 3rd and Jefferson Sts. I do not know their phone number. Also try Midwest Gun and Range 128 Rush Ct Elkhart In 574 293-2030.

Hoosierdaddy_X4 02-19-2007 07:30

Midwest will not do a transfer if they have the same gun in stock. I do not know about ZX in Goshen. The best place is Len's gun shop in South Bend. Last I checked he gives a discount to people who hold a valid Indiana LTC. I think he does it for around $20. Call him at 233-4867.

StockGlock23 02-19-2007 12:10

Quote:

Originally posted by Hoosierdaddy_X4
Midwest will not do a transfer if they have the same gun in stock.

Midwest is the only place I have done a transfer in the past with. They were real hesitant to do it too. I am sure that they don't have any stripped lowers in stock so I may call them and see if they will do it. Also, I am curious if they will do all three for one fee or if they will hit me for $25 each time. I will have to call and see and check the others that were mentioned.

MakeMineaP99 02-19-2007 22:15

Try this man. He's a kitchen table gun dealer and transfered a pistol for me in Sept '06 for $10 OTD (YMMV--like all other prices it may have increased). He's not to far from Goshen out in Elkhart County.

Daniel Stahly
574-537-2444
QMW14(at)verizon.net (remove the (at) and replace with @)

ETA: If your close to South Bend I have another name for you, let me know if you want it.

Best of luck!

Dan

ChrisK 02-20-2007 17:55

Len's has done alot of transfers for me. The last was for 2 guns and it cost me $20.00.

grislyAdam 02-25-2007 07:19

Midwest & Indiana Arms are both difficult with FFL transfers.
Len is very easy to deal with on this and in fact, seems to encourage the practice.
You might try Granger Guns, as well.

MakeMineaP99 02-25-2007 16:18

Quote:

Originally posted by grislyAdam
Midwest & Indiana Arms are both difficult with FFL transfers.
Len is very easy to deal with on this and in fact, seems to encourage the practice.
You might try Granger Guns, as well.

Granger Guns is $20 and will transfer. I however do not like the general atmosphere of that shop.

Len encourages this pratice because he realizes for 10 minutes of paperwork and a phone call he gets $20. Why other dealers don't realize this is beyond me.

grislyAdam 02-25-2007 17:51

The atmosphere at Granger Guns has been better the past couple of times that I've been there. Maybe the owner has been reading here. Nothing against his wife and pet Lab, they're both nice. It's just when there's a "barber shop"-type, sit-around and BS session going on in there is when I feel the most uncomfortable. Used to get the same feeling at Newman's.

Why dealers may be hesitant to perform FFL transfers is because they have to( I believe)keep the paperwork on file forever. And, of course, they would rather have you simply make your firearm purchase from their shop.

My experience with Midwest and Indiana Arms was like this:
Midwest will not give you a signed FFL form to send to the seller. The seller must contact them and request the form. At that time, I'm sure that the owner leaps out of his chair and runs out to the mailbox.:upeyes:
Indiana Arms wanted to charge me sales tax on a firearm that I bought from someone in Tennessee.:upeyes: :upeyes:

MakeMineaP99 02-25-2007 18:59

Quote:

Originally posted by grislyAdam
The atmosphere at Granger Guns has been better the past couple of times that I've been there. Maybe the owner has been reading here. Nothing against his wife and pet Lab, they're both nice. It's just when there's a "barber shop"-type, sit-around and BS session going on in there is when I feel the most uncomfortable. Used to get the same feeling at Newman's.

Why dealers may be hesitant to perform FFL transfers is because they have to( I believe)keep the paperwork on file forever. And, of course, they would rather have you simply make your firearm purchase from their shop.

My experience with Midwest and Indiana Arms was like this:
Midwest will not give you a signed FFL form to send to the seller. The seller must contact them and request the form. At that time, I'm sure that the owner leaps out of his chair and runs out to the mailbox.:upeyes:
Indiana Arms wanted to charge me sales tax on a firearm that I bought from someone in Tennessee.:upeyes: :upeyes:

I haven't been into Granger Guns in a while so it very well could have changed. I agree with your good ole' boy analysis. I was only in Newman's once, so I cannot comment.

The same paperwork stays on file whether they sell or transfer the gun. I really think it's so they can charge a high mark up on the same gun.

The only way to buy from Midwest is at shows. Steve at Indiana Arms is fine, however, he claims there's a reason to charge sales tax on out of state sale. IANAL, but if it is an out of state sale, no tax is collected, and you're supposed to claim it on your IN tax return.