Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gun-Control Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brady Campaign proves gun control doesn't work (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679096)

Debunk Brady 04-01-2007 13:54

Brady Campaign proves gun control doesn't work

1 Attachment(s)
This is a little file I put together. I took the Brady Campaign's state report cards and compared them to each state's violent crime rate, and got some interesting results.

Gregoriev 04-02-2007 11:23

Debunk Brady 04-17-2007 21:53

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to post a couple other files in here for anyone interested in reading.

Debunk Brady 04-17-2007 21:54

1 Attachment(s)

Debunk Brady 04-17-2007 21:55

1 Attachment(s)

Marauder.45 04-17-2007 22:09

Sticky!!

Good work.

dman86 04-27-2007 01:28

:thumbsup:

dman86 04-27-2007 01:42

On your blog, change the font color of the hyperlinks under facts and stats. It's the same color as the background. Good work and keep up the fight.

Ulstulst 05-06-2007 18:37

Correlation does not equal causation. In order for this to work, you would have to control for other factors that influence crime, like poverty levels, unemployment rates, demographics, police presence, etc. This makes a study of this nature MUCH more difficult.

An independent study published in the American Journal of Economics and Sociology called "The Effectiveness of Legislation Controlling Gun Usage" made an attempt at controlling for other independent variables linked to crime. They holistically "graded" the gun control laws in each state and their grades were similar to those of the Brady Campaign. They then used a "multivariate linear regression analysis," meaning they controlled for the other independent variables mentioned above, to try to establish a causal link (rather than a simple correlation) between gun control and crime.

Even with a study as complex as this one, there are still flaws that make it arguably inaccurate. Your study is a good exercise, but it by no means proves anything.

I personally am against stricter gun control, but I just wanted to point out what your opposition would tell you if you showed them this study. Playing the "devil's advocate," if you will.

EDIT: I just saw your disclaimer at the bottom of the page where you say basically the same thing I just said. I agree that it is an interesting study, just not a definitive one. I also agree that, from the research I've done and from the common sense/logical argument, gun control just doesn't work.

Brass Nazi 05-06-2007 18:50

good job :thumbsup:

STG 05-24-2007 02:03

I love this map from the Brady Campaign:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...olence-map.gif

I live in Wyoming. You'd think that a state rated "F" would have had at least one high profile gun incident since 1997.

You want solutions? Do what I did. Move to a state rated "F".:wavey:

Egyas 05-24-2007 07:55

Oh snap! The Brady group just got pwned!

waltherone 05-24-2007 11:03

Quote:

Originally posted by STG
I love this map from the Brady Campaign:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...olence-map.gif

I live in Wyoming. You'd think that a state rated "F" would have had at least one high profile gun incident since 1997.

You want solutions? Do what I did. Move to a state rated "F".:wavey:

While their poster child state, California, rated A-, has 3 high profile shootings? Sweet.

Jerry 05-24-2007 13:19

Quote:

Originally posted by waltherone
While their poster child state, California, rated A-, has 3 high profile shootings? Sweet.
If you check the high profile shooting in Louisiana Iíll be it's the one where the police were the shooters. Guess we need to take their firearms. :animlol:

Bearjing 05-24-2007 13:31

I live in New Mexico -- An F with no high profiles also.
Gotta love it!

STG 05-25-2007 18:40

Quote:

Originally posted by Bearjing
I live in New Mexico -- An F with no high profiles also.
Gotta love it!

Yeah, but Wyoming's "F" is lower than yours!:wavey:

SJRTX 08-05-2007 17:02

Are the files hosted anywhere else? They seem to have been removed.

WIG19 08-24-2007 11:04

Quote:

Originally posted by Ulstulst
Correlation does not equal causation. In order for this to work, you would have to control for other factors that influence crime, like poverty levels, unemployment rates, demographics, police presence, etc. This makes a study of this nature MUCH more difficult.
If one believes that there are limitless causal factors that contribute to a person's decision to behave criminally, then the Brady folks have won. How about "willingness to commit criminal acts" as a cause? I don't find many grieving mothers of dead or incarcerated perpetrators suing people because they can't cloak little Johnny ("such a good child") in one of those wrappers.
:shakehead:

:patriot:

Mushin 08-25-2007 18:12

definition of gun control

Use a bench rest, tripod, or both hands!

3/325 10-27-2007 03:13

What exactly IS a "high profile" shooting? Is that a certain attacker-to-body count ratio? Is it a shooting that's sensationalized and misrepresented by the media?

How about a map of successful crime stopping because of an armed citizen? (No, I'm not really interested in the reasons why that would be unfeasible)