Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mississippi Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Open carry in Mississippi???? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687886)

Lobo 04-18-2007 17:28

Open carry in Mississippi????

While talking with a friend, we got on the subject of open carry. Isn't there or wasn't there at one time the "Gunslinger Law" which made this legal???

Chris

NoloContendere 04-19-2007 18:09

There was never a "gunslinger" law... that's what people called it, but it was never a codified law called the "gunslinger" law.

By the way, open carry, by definition, is legal in MS. However, our AG's have destroyed what 'conceal' means, and basically anything that you carry in a holster, they consider concealed.

I'm writing a firearms law primer (pun intended!) that I'm going to get published next semester. I have a *very* notable attorney that is overseeing me. :banana: :banana:

I'll post it when I'm finished with it.

nc

Lobo 04-19-2007 18:11

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for the other day. Look forward to your primer.

Chris

PARAGON 04-24-2007 09:58

Open carry is not legal "by definition"

It's not specifically addressed.

The first gunslinger law was back when a law was passed that allowed your handgun to be in the open in your vehicle. That was many years ago.

The castle law was also referred to as the gunslinger law by the liberals, especially the clarion liar.

Lobo 04-24-2007 10:33

Quote:

The castle law was also referred to as the gunslinger law by the liberals, especially the clarion liar.
That sure as hell isn't me :supergrin:

I just remembered hearing that phrase from years back, and wasn't sure what law had the name (if any).

Chris

PARAGON 04-24-2007 10:51

Quote:

Originally posted by Lobo
That sure as hell isn't me :supergrin:

:laughabove: Didn't mean for it to sound that way. "gunslinger" just has such a negative connotation. Like since the law is in effect, one is going to go out and start shooting up the town. Typical liberal spin on things.

The problem with open carry is it's lack of specific definition except, to my knowledge, the following passage:

Quote:

18) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

Lobo 04-24-2007 10:53

I know buddy, I was just having some fun :thumbsup:

Thanks for the section info, thats what I'll pass along.

Chris

PARAGON 04-24-2007 11:01

I think it was in 1991 that this was added to the code and was labeled "gunslinger law" back then.

Quote:

(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

NoloContendere 04-24-2007 13:59

Quote:

Originally posted by PARAGON
Open carry is not legal "by definition"

It's not specifically addressed.

It is legal by definition because it is not specifically addressed!

:supergrin:

PARAGON 04-24-2007 14:04

Quote:

Originally posted by NoloContendere
It is legal by definition because it is not specifically addressed!

:supergrin:

:laughabove:

touche'

NoloContendere 04-24-2007 16:20

Quote:

Originally posted by PARAGON
:laughabove:

touche'

not trying to be a smarty pants, but.. :thumbsup:

:wavey: