Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mississippi Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   US Senate 2008! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751332)

NoloContendere 09-02-2007 18:53

US Senate 2008!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be running for United States Senate in 2008 against Thad Cochran.

www.stambo2008.com

One of my biggest issues is to completely abolish the ATF and repeal all gun control legislation.

The website is not 100% yet, but it will give you an idea of what I'm running on.

Any support would be appreciated!

Stephen

NRA_guy 09-03-2007 19:06

Good luck! That's a big mountain to climb.

Is the election this November? [shows my ignorance]

Will you run as an independent or with party affiliation?

Thad has actually been pretty good. He voted against the amnesty for illegal immigrants bill (unlike Trent Lott).

And NRA likes him, too.

MidnightJMC 09-03-2007 20:00

I'll be checking out your website regularly for updates. You're gonna have your hands full with this one buddy. Congrats on deciding to run! :thumbsup:

NoloContendere 09-04-2007 05:30

The election will be next year. I'm busy doing all the prequalification stuff.

My biggest gripe with Thad has been that he hasn't done enough. I know he's rated an A by the NRA, but that is going to seem like an F once the NRA "rates" me. :thumbsup:

He's been in since 78'ish? Maybe it's just time for some new energy to come in.

I will be seeking the Republican nomination. Thanks for the support! I will be using the internet a lot and asking for all of your help once I get signs and other stuff made.

Stephen

BuLC86 09-04-2007 10:40

GOOD LUCK n You know that you will be getting all of my votes

Lobo 09-05-2007 23:03

Website looks nice and is easy to navigate. Congrats to you for taking this on.

Chris

lumberjack 09-06-2007 11:09

Looking good Stephen, you're right, Thad isn't and hasn't done jack in the past 30 years, heck not even a sex scandel.

One thing I love is the tax brackets but equal voting rights. I had to pay 1/3 of my income last year in income tax alone, because I'm self employeed with minimal write offs, yet my vot counts the same.

slewfoot 09-06-2007 11:21

Good Luck Stephen.:thumbsup:

K.C. Dia 09-07-2007 17:17

How old are you? You don't look thirty!

NoloContendere 09-07-2007 20:12

Quote:

Originally posted by K.C. Dia
How old are you? You don't look thirty!
I will be by then.

I finish my 3rd year in law school in December... and take the bar February.

K.C. Dia 09-08-2007 21:01

What district do you live in? Have you considered a run for congress instead. A congressman would be easier to take down than a senator with 30 Plus years of seniority. Your chances of defeating Cochran are zero. I repeat, zero.

NoloContendere 09-08-2007 21:40

Quote:

Originally posted by K.C. Dia
What district do you live in? Have you considered a run for congress instead. A congressman would be easier to take down than a senator with 30 Plus years of seniority. Your chances of defeating Cochran are zero. I repeat, zero.
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will not entertain a Congress seat run, and I'm not doing this because it's easy.

Your the first person, out of hundreds that I've spoken to, that has expressed a zero chance of me winning. And this is on a gun board. Amazing.

PARAGON 09-09-2007 15:25

Re: US Senate 2008!

Quote:

Originally posted by NoloContendere
Hey everyone,

One of my biggest issues is to completely abolish the ATF and repeal all gun control legislation.

I won't vote for you.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

PARAGON 09-09-2007 15:30

Quote:

Originally posted by NoloContendere
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will not entertain a Congress seat run, and I'm not doing this because it's easy.

Your the first person, out of hundreds that I've spoken to, that has expressed a zero chance of me winning. And this is on a gun board. Amazing.

course, I'm not the person running for a seat. But wouldn't someone that's running need know that the Senate is part of the United State's Congress? Therefore, you are, indeed, stating your intention to run for Congress.

NoloContendere 09-09-2007 16:18

I understood what the person was referring to.

What do you understand to be a wrong? How is abolishing one of the most unconstitutional agency's a wrong? Am I missing something?

NRA_guy 09-10-2007 04:59

For some reason (and it is something I have wondered about for decades) US Represenatives are referred to as "Congressmen"; i.e., Congressman Chip Pickering, Congressman Bennie Thompson, etc.

But US Senators are refrerred to as "Senators"; i.e., Senator Trent Lott, Senator John Stennis, etc.

It is true. Both houses are part of Congress, but Senators are never referred to as Congresmen.

I'm not sure why.

PS: To you unbelievers---Nolo is young. Thad is old. Most Mississippi voters don't know diddly about candidates. They vote based upon name recognition.

They go in the poll booth and say, "I've heard of this guy. Click."

Nolo is not stupid or naive. He is most likely planning for the long term, not the short term.

NoloContendere 09-10-2007 05:27

Quote:

Originally posted by NRA_guy

PS: To you unbelievers---Nolo is young. Thad is old. Most Mississippi voters don't know diddly about candidates. They vote based upon name recognition.

They go in the poll booth and say, "I've heard of this guy. Click."

Nolo is not stupid or naive. He is most likely planning for the long term, not the short term.

:thumbsup:

haras 09-10-2007 19:17

:patriot: Senator, I think you're missing a good publicity opportunity if you pass on my idea of organizing clean-up of remote local ranges.

This is a résumé' item that won't cost much. The idea is for you to organize the people here (and from wherever you can get them) to meet at one of these rural ranges to clean it up. I'll even donate the garbage bags.

Everyone doesn't have to cross the entire state but could help with ranges within reasonable driving distance to them. No-one has to make every trip.

Carpooling is also an option. Throw some rakes and work gloves in the trunk then pile in for a road trip. Talk guns and shooting on the way there and complain about sore backs on the way home. Before heading back we all could eat lunch at some local establishment (talk more guns).

The local guys would be responsible for disposing of what is collected (that may include appliances if my suspicions are correct). A picture should be taken before and after so a story could be told at some point.

Yeah, the ranges will get trashed again but the helping hand gives the locals a chance to catch-up on the trash. A notice could be posted explaining what was done to clean the place up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to let the property owners know what was done.

You could start a movement......

K.C. Dia 09-10-2007 19:43

Quote:

Originally posted by PARAGON
course, I'm not the person running for a seat. But wouldn't someone that's running need know that the Senate is part of the United State's Congress? Therefore, you are, indeed, stating your intention to run for Congress.
I wasn't "dissing" you, but in order to defeat Cochran, you will have to beat him in the republican primary. The primaries are controlled by political bosses, and they won't we willing to ditch a 30 year plus senator for a new face. They will pour more money into the campaign than you can overcome. On the other hand, I think that some of the congressmen are vulnerable. Mississippi keeps reelecting their senators until they die are retire, which ever comes last!

NoloContendere 09-10-2007 20:32

I understand what you are saying KC, I just have to try. That's all I can do right now. Money might have bought every previous election, but I need to show people that we can do it with little money expended.

Haras,

I like your idea, and will work on that.

Stephen

Gambino 09-11-2007 13:31

I applauud your zeal. Your platform, from what I have seen so far, is awesome. Long hard trail to conquer non the less. You have my support in Waynesboro.

NoloContendere 09-11-2007 17:47

Quote:

Originally posted by Gambino
I applauud your zeal. Your platform, from what I have seen so far, is awesome. Long hard trail to conquer non the less. You have my support in Waynesboro.
Thanks K.

It's already proving to be a difficult proposition, but, I tell you... Nothing worth doing, is easy.

:thumbsup:

ScottWomack 09-12-2007 14:22

When Mike Sumrall and I discussed him running for Mississippi State Auditor with his degrees in accounting and computer and his 23 years of experience with the State Auditor's Office, no one believed he could do it. In fact in a three man race with Jacob Ray, Todd Brand and Mike Sumrall, most people believed Sumrall would come in 4th in a 3 man race. Imagine the surprise when Sumrall not only came in first in the Democratic Primary spending only $10,300 but went on to win the nomination spending only about $15,000 total. Now Sumrall will go up against MS Senator Stacey Pickering, in the November 7 General Election, in what will be a contest between a politician with a lot of funding versus a common hardworking guy with an accounting and experience. For the first time in 30 years, there is a candidate with the education and experience to know what to do if Sumrall gets to the job.

Nolo it was good to see you in Walmart this weekend, don't let people disappoint you with negative comments. Just get out there and give it your best try and at least you will have given the voters someone who is willing to put there name on the line when so often most people are trying to push others down around them rather than helping to lift others up in an attempt to make the world a better place.

Now get through with the RO test, get back to the range, and don't let anyone tell you what you can't do. I for one am an AmeriCAN, not an AmeriCAN'T. Just remember the story of the two little boys who walked up to a problem and one little boy said "I can't!" and the other little boy said, "I can!". They were both right. Guess where we would be today if I had looked at the $55Million MS Beef Processors Plant investigation and said we probably CAN'T figure this one out. But when it was assigned to me I said I don't know what happened, and I don't even understand it, but I CAN figure it out.

So long, I've got to helicopter over to Navin's place to sit around the pool deck and drink those little umbrella drinks and plan a strategy on how to knock ole Cliff off the top of the pile of ICORE shooters. Have a great day and call me if you need anything.

NoloContendere 09-12-2007 16:40

Hey Scott! Thanks for the encouragement. I will most definitely get that RO test done here pretty soon!

I'm packing to leave for Destin for the week. Going out there for a very much needed vacation, and going to do a little deep sea fishing!

Hope you caught an alligator!

Stephen

Dauntless452003 09-12-2007 17:43

Quote:

Originally posted by PARAGON
....and the apostrophe after United States' should be behind the s, not in front of it, but hey, who's being picky here......

:)