Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Glockers of the Old Dominion (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit questions (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754208)

johnydoe 09-09-2007 06:56

Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit questions

Do you have to notarized the application first before you go the court?

The application form says "COMPLETE AND NOTARIZED APPLICATIONS FOR RESIDENT PERMITS SHALL BE FORWARDED TO THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE COUNTY OR CITY IN WHICH THE APPLICANT RESIDES. THE APPLICANT SHOULD CONSULT WITH THE COURT AUTHORITIES FOR INSTRUCTION AND GUIDANCE SPECIFIC TO THEIR APPLICATION."

Has anyone applied for the permit at the Fairfax circuit court? Their instruction says:

In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

Two additional copies of the original completed application.
A self-addressed stamped envelope.
Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).
Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax County (see p. 4 and p.7).

Do I have to make copies myself or will the clerk make copies for me when I just bring the original forms?

DannyR 09-09-2007 09:16

I'm sure the clerk will make copies, for a fee. If you sign in front of the clerk, he/she will witness and notarize your signature.

alien-Glocker 09-09-2007 14:53

Have everything complete

I'd complete the paper work and have it all in order (all questions answered, original application notarized with residency and proficiency documents attached and 2 copies, the copies are just that and do not need to be notarized.) before you go to the courthouse.

Your bank should have a notary on staff and is free. There are Kinkos and Staples, etc close by for copies. I had to make copies at the courthouse before (not CHP related) and had to use their library. This was years ago and I think they let me use it for free but were not happy.

My last renewal they provided the CHP unlaminated in the return envelop and did not have to pick it up. Kinkos charges about a buck and a half to laminate your CHP.

rwrjr 09-10-2007 11:20

+1 on the bank

I wasn't sure about the copies, so I got my application notarized at the bank first, then made copies.

The civil intake desk can be busy so I would suggest getting the copies yourself at a Kinko's, library, etc... and not hold up the line at the courthouse. Just bring 3 copies of everything, don't forget your SAS envelope and you're good to go.

I submitted my application to Fairfax on 7/27 and I received my permit on 8/30, only 34 days later. My permit was post dated for 9/04 though.

One more thing to smooth your time at the Fairfax courthouse. If your cellphone has a camera, leave it in your car. Otherwise, you'll need to drop off your phone at the phone check before security, and retrieve it on the way out. Two more lines can be avoided by not bringing it in with you to begin with.

Ron

johnydoe 09-10-2007 15:06

Thanks for the info, I found out that most banks do notary for free even for non-customers.

RussP 09-10-2007 16:41

I just applied for my renewal today in Chesterfield County. I did not sign the app until I got there. Part of the process is raise your right hand and swear or affirm you're telling the truth, then you sign and hand over your $50.00.

:cool:

ScottW 09-13-2007 21:59

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but they also ask for a list of your previous addresses within the last 5 years, if you've lived in your current home less than 5 years. It's under the "most common reasons for denial" section of the PDF from the Fairfax circuit court that covers the application process. Supposedly it helps expedite the background check. Don't know if the address list requirement is unique to Fairfax or not. I guess some counties may do things differently- for example I was not asked to raise my right hand and swear anything like RussP did.

I filed my app at the Fairfax court on Tuesday morning (9/11). The courthouse seemed pretty busy but there was no line at the civil intake counter. When I whipped out the Visa to pay the $50, the clerk noticed my alma mater's university logo on my credit card and we BS'ed a bit about college sports while he shuffled the papers. It was fairly hassle-free except for the waiting outside in the rain to get through the security line. First time VA applicant after moving here from Seattle a couple months ago, so we'll see how long it takes them to process it. I expect they'll take their sweet time, but it doesn't much matter since I already have carry priveleges here with my WA permit. :thumbsup: