Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   US Military Services (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Who was the most decorated combat soldier of WWII? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763201)

Mushin 09-28-2007 17:40

Who was the most decorated combat soldier of WWII?
 
I Think this is pretty amazing, I knew when I was younger but forgot. He would be the same character in Hunter's book "Pale horse Coming" named Audie Ryan...but it was really Audie Murphy!

http://www.audiemurphy.com/welc_art/1769ADC2.JPG

Web site

http://www.audiemurphy.com/welcome.htm

Fritz1 10-07-2007 18:00

I believe his Hollywood career began when he was picked to play himself in his biographical film "To Hell and Back." Then did a bunch of westerns and others after.

Marine8541 10-08-2007 23:11

Quote:

Originally posted by Fritz1
I believe his Hollywood career began when he was picked to play himself in his biographical film "To Hell and Back." Then did a bunch of westerns and others after.
Audie was in 15 movies before his Book was made into one.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001559/

Mushin 10-09-2007 00:36

Quote:

Originally posted by Marine8541
Audie was in 15 movies before his Book was made into one.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001559/

Nice Avatar!!

Will-21 10-11-2007 18:11

All Wrong
 
The fact of the matter is LTC Matt Urban is the most decorated WWII soldier:

Lieutenant Colonel Matt Louis Urban (August 25, 1919- March 4, 1995) was a U. S. Army officer who served with distinction in World War II. He was belatedly awarded the Medal of Honor, in 1980 for repeated acts of heroism in combat in France and Belgium in 1944. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, he is the most decorated American serviceman.

Don't fall for the Audie Murphy legend. Surely an all American hero, but not the most decorated soldier.

Mushin 10-11-2007 18:28

Re: All Wrong
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Will-21
The fact of the matter is LTC Matt Urban is the most decorated WWII soldier:

Lieutenant Colonel Matt Louis Urban (August 25, 1919- March 4, 1995) was a U. S. Army officer who served with distinction in World War II. He was belatedly awarded the Medal of Honor, in 1980 for repeated acts of heroism in combat in France and Belgium in 1944. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, he is the most decorated American serviceman.

Don't fall for the Audie Murphy legend. Surely an all American hero, but not the most decorated soldier.

Didn't know that? I'll check it out. They must have upgraded him later then, which is too bad. But it might have made his family happy.

Will-21 10-11-2007 18:43

You Nailed It
 
Final awards in 1980.

I think he has 1 award more than Audie Murphy.

Mushin 10-11-2007 19:44

Re: You Nailed It
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Will-21
Final awards in 1980.

I think he has 1 award more than Audie Murphy.

Most of those guy's didn't really care if they got a medal for what they did anyway. Some of them even say that the medals should be for the one's that didn't come back. Amen!

Will-21 10-11-2007 19:48

Absolutely
 
I agree, +1

Glolt20-91 10-14-2007 18:44

That's only because John Kerry wasn't there. :cheers:

Bob :cowboy:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.