Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Midwest Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Kansas Coyote (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799929)

G_34 12-23-2007 17:24

Kansas Coyote

Anyone else Hunt this mangy Critters. Just picked off my first one this morning going after our ducks on the frozen over pond. Hit him with my Remington 597 .22 with a CCI stinger.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...046_edited.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...4/DSC_0045.jpg

rickh 12-23-2007 18:12

careful there, your about to get hooked! Will cost you lots of money...
I hunt them here in Nebraska but they seem to be getting pretty thin in the East Central area of the state.
Wanted to go this morning, but too dang cold!
How far was your shot and where was the placement. Is that rifle a Center Fire or Rim Fire?
Rick H...

G_34 12-23-2007 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickh (Post 9504493)
careful there, your about to get hooked! Will cost you lots of money...
I hunt them here in Nebraska but they seem to be getting pretty thin in the East Central area of the state.
Wanted to go this morning, but too dang cold!
How far was your shot and where was the placement. Is that rifle a Center Fire or Rim Fire?
Rick H...

He was just a hair over 100 yds out. From an elevated position, wind 5-10mph. That is a Remington .22 rim fire. I shot him with Hyper-velocity CCI stingers that are 32 Grain hollow-points. 1640 fps at the muzzle.
I struck him right behind the shoulder blade on his left side exited right shoulder you can see the entrance wound on the second pic right by the rifle.

G_34

rickh 12-24-2007 06:54

Darn good shot there with a rim fire no less.....
Wish I was headed out this morning, but to much to do for the Holidays, maybe next weekend.
Pelts don't go for much around here a few bucks maybe 5 for Eastern NE, 12-15 for Western NE.
Rick H...

sandhiller 12-29-2007 22:10

Pelts haven't been worth much for quite a few years now. We mainly shoot 'em because they are a nuisance and I lose some calves to 'em every year. We have a few guys that still run hounds but it's mainly call 'em in or drive around until you see one. Still a good way to spend an afternoon! BTW mange seems to be especially hard on them this year. My youngest found one about 20 yards from the house in the stackyard.

G_34 12-29-2007 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandhiller (Post 9544925)
Pelts haven't been worth much for quite a few years now. We mainly shoot 'em because they are a nuisance and I lose some calves to 'em every year. We have a few guys that still run hounds but it's mainly call 'em in or drive around until you see one. Still a good way to spend an afternoon! BTW mange seems to be especially hard on them this year. My youngest found one about 20 yards from the house in the stackyard.

Yeah...this one came to my treestand (our house has a walkout basement and is supposed to have a deck but doesnt, so the door to the non-existent deck is my treestand) He was headed toward our ducks on our pond. He was actually very healthy looking, no mange, and plump...shouldn't have been hungry but made the mistake to look for a snack.

That is why we shoot them here too, not for the pelts. I tried to skin this one but am not too skilled with the knife and made too many cut-ins and gave up on it.

My dad used to run greyhounds to catch coyote's and always tells stories about how his favorite dog died chasing a coyote and didn't see a barbed wire fence coming and he close-lined himself breaking his neck. Running dogs seems fun...but would hate to lose a dog this way.

sandhiller 12-30-2007 12:15

G34, I like your "treestand"! I get a few every year out of my office window as they come across the meadow looking for mice and gophers. I'm not good enough at skinning either, just sell them to the fur buyers as is. I have owned a few hounds and they make great pets, very loyal and friendly. Running coyotes is damn hard on them. They love it and are bred for it up here but is very hard to lose them in this way.

velvetant 02-03-2008 06:34

I built a custom rifle just for coyotes, I got hooked long ago

bukn77 01-15-2009 18:26

Varmint hunting has become my favorite hunting in the last couple years.:cool:

quimby1 01-15-2009 20:25

ammo

:wavey:g 34 do you live close to the sierra ammo plant.if so let me know

SiGlockBoy 03-07-2009 15:47

Always wanted to do it and haven't.

Hi Ball 07-30-2009 12:48

Varmint hunting and killing "song dogs" is great experience for young hunters. It keeps you on your toes and is more fun than shooting paper targets. The wife and I varmint hunt and love hunting coyotes too. You might say we take varmint/coyote hunting real seriously!!! :wow:

Rifles used are model 70 Winhester in .243 with Leupold 3 x 9 power. CZ model 527 in the .222 Remy with Bushnell 3200 series in 4 x 12. Savage .204 model 12 with Bushnell 3200 series in 5 x 15 mil-dot. Ruger model 77 in 25-06 with 3200 series in 5 x 15 with mil-dot and turrets. 700 Remington 6mm Remy with 4 x 12 Leupold vari x 2. Also a CZ in .223 caliber in burl walnut, monticarlo stock with Bushnell series 3200 in 5 x 15 power mil-dot. :cool:

bear10 04-11-2011 16:07

longbow coyote

The last coyote that i shot was taken at 12ft. with an arrow from my lonbow. he made the mistake of hunting in the same place that i was sitting in a ground blind while deer hunting.:dunno: