Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting, Fishing & Camping (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Who here hunts with an 'AR' (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82932)

06-02-2002 08:51

Who here hunts with an 'AR'
 
I know I do for most game Deer on down.

I am left handed, and right eye dom. I shoot right handed, and find that a scoped AR (Bushmaster) works nicely.

What's your opinion on using these AR type rifles for hunting.

WalterGA 06-02-2002 11:39

I have a couple of friends who hunt deer with AR's. One of 'em is a Marine Patrol Officer in an adjoining State. They seem to do o.k., but they are good marksmen and don't try any long shots. Deer around here don't get very big..not much over 275# or so.

bbauman 06-02-2002 13:46

Yes for coyotes and other varmits. For deer I go with something a bit bigger.

44 Dan 06-02-2002 16:24

I use my AR-10A2 on just about everything from rodents to coyotes.


We're still waiting/hoping on getting a Deer or Elk tag. Who knows maybe this year we'll get lucky.

Later, 44 Dan

trapfan 06-02-2002 20:55

Colt AR15 H-BAR
 
I have used my AR15 for everything from Russian wild boar to Ground Hogs. Took a 326lb Wild Boar with Winchester 64gr. Power Points. It took two head shots but he went down. Have harvested many Michigan Whitetail Deer too. I am very fond of the .223/5.56 round and have used it for years. My Dad put 27 years in at Cadillac Gage where Eugene Stoner made the Stoner63 weapons system. Stoner was the father of the AR15/M16 style weapon system so at a young age I got to see what the .223/5.56 round will do.;) ;) ;)

DJ Niner 06-03-2002 17:57

Varmints and fur-bearing critters (fox and coyote). Moving targets are good practice for...moving targets!;f

sarge 06-04-2002 08:25

My son and I use them for coyotes and fox, nothing larger.

USMCsilver 06-27-2002 11:26

From beavers to squirrells to hogs to tweetie birds, yep!

glockster96 06-27-2002 11:32

I don't know if you can call it hunting, but I shoot prairie dogs with my ARs. :)

06-27-2002 14:56

RATS!
 
Glockster.

Yes. Those count.

Thanks for the input all. I just got my Armalite AR-10/A4.
Green, with a 20"bbl, and removable sights.

I shot it the other day. Just like the Bushmaster XM15E2S...Right on the money.

saigonsmuggler 06-29-2002 14:50

Yep count me in too! Used a Bushmaster AR (55-gr softpoints) a few years back on some mule deers (around 180 lbs). Lung shots are awesome - only ran about 150 yards.

Esox357 06-30-2002 14:14

Not yet, but plan on using it for my varmiting needs. I will use it primarily for coyote and crow and if luck would have it a bobcat. Esox357

IPSC-1 07-03-2002 09:06

Quote:

Originally posted by saigonsmuggler
Yep count me in too! Used a Bushmaster AR (55-gr softpoints) a few years back on some mule deers (around 180 lbs). Lung shots are awesome - only ran about 150 yards.
Only ran 150yds?!!! What the hell kind of hunter are you?
Use enough gun! Guys like you p*ss me off. Blood pressure going up...

vettman1 07-03-2002 10:16

So what do you think about people who hunt with a bow? I've seen them track animals for hours before they find it dead or even still wounded and have to finish it off with another arrow or a knife. An AR can put down deer if hit well, but sometimes it doesn't go well and even with larger caliber rifles they run. Not meaning to flame, just stating the facts.

IPSC-1 07-03-2002 10:31

OK, I'm an avid deer hunter and I respect these animals immensely. I grew up hunting deer in Northern Maine (where they are known for being large and very resilient.)
The smallest rifle caliber I've ever hunted whitetail with is a .270 Win. however, I prefer a .30 cal bullet. I've also used 44 mag in a revolver, primarily from a tree stand.
In the 19 whitetail I've shot, I have never had to track one. They have always been lying on the ground in the same spot they were standing when I broke the shot. Luck? I don't think so. This is the direct result of using the correct tool (read: caliber) combined with shot placement.
.223 is a varmint caliber. Its not suited for whitetail.
Part of being a good hunter/sportsman is using the correct tool. Making a clean kill should be paramount, and 223 does not lend itself to clean quick kills. Anyone who uses a .223 for whitetail {IMO} is an irresponsible hunter who is not giving the animal the respect it deserves. {Flame suit on}

Edited to add: This thread isn't about bow hunting. Start a new thread if you want to change the subject.

saigonsmuggler 07-03-2002 11:37

Quote:

Originally posted by IPSC-1
OK, I'm an avid deer hunter and I respect these animals immensely. I grew up hunting deer in Northern Maine (where they are known for being large and very resilient.)
The smallest rifle caliber I've ever hunted whitetail with is a .270 Win. however, I prefer a .30 cal bullet. I've also used 44 mag in a revolver, primarily from a tree stand.
In the 19 whitetail I've shot, I have never had to track one. They have always been lying on the ground in the same spot they were standing when I broke the shot. Luck? I don't think so. This is the direct result of using the correct tool (read: caliber) combined with shot placement.
.223 is a varmint caliber. Its not suited for whitetail.
Part of being a good hunter/sportsman is using the correct tool. Making a clean kill should be paramount, and 223 does not lend itself to clean quick kills. Anyone who uses a .223 for whitetail {IMO} is an irresponsible hunter who is not giving the animal the respect it deserves. {Flame suit on}

Edited to add: This thread isn't about bow hunting. Start a new thread if you want to change the subject.

19 deers falling on the same spots? Yeah uh huh... right...

I have used and seen deers taking solid lung shots with .308 and .30-06 and ran for more than 100 yards before collapsing. Actually upon dressing, I have noticed that .223 tends to pulverizes the lungs more than .308. And when they dropped, they are as dead as door nails.

Unless you have solid hits in the spine, heart the deer is probably gonna run a good distance.

trapfan 07-03-2002 14:33

.223 Is A Real Deer Killer
 
I have seen way too many {Outdoorsmen} at the range who say you have to have -- cal. or a slug to kill a deer. I have then seen the same guy not hold a group in a 10 inch paper plate at 50 yards and then say "I am ready for the deer woods now". Most think if you use a 3 and a half inch slug if you hit deer any place they will go down but that is not true. Poor shot placement with a .50 cal BMG is still poor shot placement. I would rather hit the deer with a well placed shot with a .223/5.56 then a poor shot with a super magnum. The trick to harvesting deer with the .223 is SHOT PLACEMENT. Do not pull the switch untill you are sure you have a killing shot. The .223/5.56 will do a great job with proper bullet and good shot placement.

IPSC-1 07-08-2002 06:52

Quote:

Originally posted by saigonsmuggler

19 deers falling on the same spots? Yeah uh huh... right...

I have used and seen deers taking solid lung shots with .308 and .30-06 and ran for more than 100 yards before collapsing. Actually upon dressing, I have noticed that .223 tends to pulverizes the lungs more than .308. And when they dropped, they are as dead as door nails.

Unless you have solid hits in the spine, heart the deer is probably gonna run a good distance.

You find it hard to believe that I've made 19 clean, one shot kills on whitetail (from a treestand)? Its not suprising this seems impossible to you.
You must be one of the guys using a varmint caliber to shoot whitetail...and it shows.
You know those full size deer targets with the "kill zone" printed on it? Thats where I shoot. Suprising as it may sound, they are always laying on the ground dead as a doornail. Never had one run and I don't intend to.

saigonsmuggler 07-16-2002 10:41

Actually I might make an argument that for deer size animals, .223 is very effective. When using HPs or softpoints, the 55 to 62-grain bullet usually would not exit the deer, thus dumping all of its energy into the target.

You would most likely have exit wounds if you use .308, .30-06 on deers in broadside shots.

07-17-2002 00:25

Hit What You AIM at!!
 
You cant miss fast enough to win (or to survive) If you hunt responsibly you need to be on target.

I go to our local "Sight in Days" at the range, and watch guys sight in the 300 ultra-mag and say it's for deer. Then they go shoot the "Running Buck". This is a Mule Deer target that moves away from you from about 100yards to 130, yards at an angle full speed it is realistic of shots taken in the field here(Not too many tree stands around too much brush.).

It has been my experience that many folks do well on the sand bags, and miss on the moving target. It is fantastic reality based training. Ok. It is also a lot of fun. I find that I can hit right were I aim with my AR. while some of the guys with bigger bore guns do not fare as well.

In Western Oregon(RAIN FOREST)shots are usualy under 200 yards.

For those ranges the 64 grn JSP Winchester Power Point Plus works like a charm.

Happy Safe Hunting All.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.