Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846395)

alank2 03-23-2008 09:57

Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Hi everyone,

I recall a thread not long ago where people were talking about how hard they inspect calibers, for example 9mm was inspected very hard because it is quite a strong case for the typical 9mm loads put on it, and 40sw was inspected more carefully because it is much closer to the "edge" than 9mm for example.

Also was a list of good brass and bad brass.

Could we create a sticky that would list calibers and everyone could chime in about headstamps considered good or bad. We could just have people post their experiences and update a top level message. Obviously there could be disagreements where one person says this headstamp is decent while another says it is trash, in which case we could go with 3 categories for headstamp: Good to go, Mixed Review, Junk Brass.

Maybe a 1-5 rating on inspection necessity. 1=super strong brass, just a basic inspection down to 5=inspect it extremely well or its going to KB!.

What do you guys think?

I love to dig up all the free brass at the range, it sure would be nice to have a list of what to throw in the scrap bin right off the bat...

Any brass not actually made of brass is of course junk. This includes Wolf steel cases and CCI blazer aluminum cases.

In the format company name (headstamp [other headstamps])
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Good to go brass:
Starline (*--* Two Stars with line between them)
Winchester (Winchester, WIN, WCC?)
Norma (Norma)
Magtech (CBC)
Hornady (Hornady)
Independance (*I*)
Israeli Military Industries (TZZ)
Federal (Federal, FC that is not 40S&W)
Eldorado (ELD)
Remington (R-P, UMC)

Shootable, but not as good:
Speer (Speer)
Precision Made Cartridge (PMC)
Company? (HY)
Aguila (Aguila)
Fiocchi (Fiocchi)

Junk Brass:
American Ammunition (AMERC)
Armscorp (ACP)
Company? (NNY)
Federal (FC that is 40S&W)
Sellier & Beloit (S&B) - Mixed reviews, some ok, some bad, usually the problem is related to primer pocket size.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks,

Alan

podwich 03-23-2008 10:14

AMERC=bad.

mitchshrader 03-23-2008 10:47

Starline = Good

alank2 03-23-2008 10:59

Hi guys,

Well that gets us started! After a bunch of posts I'll modify the first post to include a summary!

I'll throw another one in, Winchester = good.

Maybe we don't need to do it by caliber...

Thanks,

Alan

Jeff82 03-23-2008 11:18

Maybe mention separating cases by weight and not mixing +p cases with non +p cases...

Rico567 03-23-2008 12:00

I've shot a lot of "pickup" brass in my time, some say a bad habit, and they may be right. Nevertheless, through thousands of rounds I've had no reloading issues, except with the one headstamp that pops up in forums again and again, including this one- AMERC. Under no circumstances attempt to reload this stuff.

(Note: I'm not including in this discussion things like aluminum or steel cases. This stufff should not be reloaded, and I'm assuming people on this forum know that.)

fourrobert13 03-23-2008 12:29

Stay away from FC & AD brass when it comes to rifle reloading. Some one already covered amerc.

I'll load up just about every thing else.:supergrin:

Jeff82 03-23-2008 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourrobert13 (Post 10143848)
Stay away from FC & AD brass when it comes to rifle reloading. Some one already covered amerc.

I'll load up just about every thing else.:supergrin:

Ok. I'm just guessing here:
FC=Frontier Cartridge and AD=anno Domini?

:)

alank2 03-23-2008 16:23

Hi,

If you can, please post the company and the headstamp.

What is the deal with FC is this federal cartridge or something else? Is it good in some calibers and not others?

Thanks,

Alan

alank2 03-23-2008 16:37

Hi,

I found a thread with some BigSlick wisdom I included.

What is the deal on the NT marked stuff (not toxic). Does some of it work fine and others not?

Thanks,

Alan

SILVERBACK32 03-23-2008 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alank2 (Post 10142902)
Hi everyone,

I recall a thread not long ago where people were talking about how hard they inspect calibers, for example 9mm was inspected very hard because it is quite a strong case for the typical 9mm loads put on it, and 40sw was inspected more carefully because it is much closer to the "edge" than 9mm for example.

Also was a list of good brass and bad brass.

Could we create a sticky that would list calibers and everyone could chime in about headstamps considered good or bad. We could just have people post their experiences and update a top level message. Obviously there could be disagreements where one person says this headstamp is decent while another says it is trash, in which case we could go with 3 categories for headstamp: Good to go, Mixed Review, Junk Brass.

Maybe a 1-5 rating on inspection necessity. 1=super strong brass, just a basic inspection down to 5=inspect it extremely well or its going to KB!.

What do you guys think?

I love to dig up all the free brass at the range, it sure would be nice to have a list of what to throw in the scrap bin right off the bat...

Good to go brass:
Starline (Two Stars with an arc between them)
Winchester (WIN, WCC?)
Norma (Headstamp?)
Company? (CBC)
Hornady (Headstamp?)
Company? (*I*)
Company? (TZZ)
Federal (Headstamp?)
Company? PMC? (ELD)

Shootable, but not as good:
Remington (R-P)
Speer (Headstamp?)
Company? (S&B)
Precision Metalic Something? (PMC)
Company? (HY)
Aguila (Headstamp?)
Fiocchi (Headstamp?)

Junk Brass:
AMERC (AMER?)
Armscorp (ACP)
Company? (NNY)

Thanks,

Alan

What's wrong with Speer?

freakshow10mm 03-23-2008 17:32

Hornady brass is stamped Hornady.
Fiochi brass is stamped Fiochi
Norma brass is stamped Norma.
Winchester brass is stamped Winchester
Federal brass is stamped FC
ELD brass is Eldorado
PMC stands for Precision Made Cartridge
S&B is Sellier and Beloit (sp?)
*I* is Independance
Amerc is American Ammunition
Aguila is stamped Aguila
Starline is *--* but looks curved because the brass is round
UMC brass is stamped UMC and is a Remington company
Speer headstamp is Speer

fourrobert13 03-23-2008 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff82 (Post 10144620)
Ok. I'm just guessing here:
FC=Frontier Cartridge and AD=anno Domini?

:)

AD=Adcom pistol and rifle brass is crap. Loose primer pockets and the brass is brittle.

FC=Federal rifle brass. Loose primer pockets and the brass is soft.

If I come accross either, I pitch them.

fourrobert13 03-23-2008 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by alank2 (Post 10145091)
Hi,

I found a thread with some BigSlick wisdom I included.

What is the deal on the NT marked stuff (not toxic). Does some of it work fine and others not?

Thanks,

Alan

All of the NT stuff I came accross was 45 acp. It used small pistol primers instead of large. I didn't understand why, and I never attempted to load any of it.

sig2009 03-23-2008 17:53

I think you should remove Speer from the not as good section!

alank2 03-23-2008 18:36

Hi,

Speer made it into its category because of the BigSlick post I found. Honestly, I don't care for the fact that they "skip operations" according to them to produce brass more cheaply. I think these "skip operations" are responsible for the concave case head which I think looks cheap even if it works fine.

Thanks,

Alan

alank2 03-23-2008 18:44

Hi,

Thanks freakshow, I've assimilated your knowledge into the top message!

Alan

alank2 03-23-2008 18:45

Hi,

If anyone can find the thread about how carefully people inspect different calibers, that would be great. I recall people talking about how they inspect some calibers just lightly and other calibers in very great detail. I tried to find it earlier but didn't.

Thanks,

Alan

G10mm 03-23-2008 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by alank2 (Post 10145908)
Hi,

Speer made it into its category because of the BigSlick post I found. Honestly, I don't care for the fact that they "skip operations" according to them to produce brass more cheaply. I think these "skip operations" are responsible for the concave case head which I think looks cheap even if it works fine.

Thanks,

Alan

I saw the concave case head from speer and didn't like the look of it and scrapped them . I don't like to take chances .

freakshow10mm 03-23-2008 19:16

CBC is Magtech brass.