Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting, Fishing & Camping (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   What's Yer Idea Of A Good Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88848)

Glock&KimberLady 07-07-2002 00:10

What's Yer Idea Of A Good Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle?

Hubby has got the itch - ;g - and is looking for a good semi-auto hunting rifle - i.e., similar to the Mini-14 but in a larger gauge (no bolt-actions, etc.)

Seeing as you all LOVE to give advice, I figure this will be another patented "Glock&KimberLady WON'T DIE" thread. ;N

forthehalibut 07-07-2002 00:19

Why won't this thread ever die??;e

Have you looked into a Mini-30? M1 Garands are supposed to be really good, too.:)

HAVOC 07-07-2002 00:19

Well aside from a .308 battle rifle like an FAL or AR-10, the selection is kinda limited.

Remington still makes the 7400 in various trims and calibers. The one I have in .243 is a horrible shooter, but if it's an upgrade from a Mini-14, probably never notice...

The only other big bore self loader I can think of is the Browning BAR. I've never even held one, but I've heard they are better shooters than the Remington. They are also pretty heavy.

I guess if you're hunting close, a Ruger Deerfield Carbine counts as a hunting rifle. The original version was discontinued because of durability issues, and I have't heard about the new one yet. It's also going to be limited to about 150yds. tops. What and where is he looking to hunt?

sailfish 07-07-2002 00:21

Since you think the USP is ugly, maybe this has a bit more sex appeal:

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages...ages/slb2k.gif

HK SLB2000, chambered in 30-06 with optional .308 barrel. Only costs 2 mortgage payments.

rfb45colt 07-07-2002 00:33

What's he going to hunt?, not that it matters.
There's 3 that come to mind instantly... Remington 7400, Browning BAR (pricey), and the Ruger .44MAG carbine. I've got a Remington in .308 with the 18" carbine barrel. It's surprisingly accurate for a semi-auto as far as I'm concerned. 1 1/2 - 2" groups at 100 yards (with a peep sight, no scope) are the norm. More than adequate for deer hunting where I live. But... I've heard others claim the accuracy sucks on theirs (but I wonder if it's the gun, the ammo, or the shooter that sucks).

The Brownings are great guns, and come in magnum calibers. The reason I prefer the Remington... it's lighter, it's cheaper but still good quality, magazine swaps are much quicker, magazines are also much cheaper, and you can get 10 rounders quite easily... just in case it's needed for something other than hunting. ;f

If money is not a concern, and you're willing to part with at least $1,500, you can't beat a Springfield M1A. ;f

SteyrAUG 07-07-2002 00:37

1 Attachment(s)
But of course the Steyr AUG.

.45Ranger 07-07-2002 00:47

Not very experienced at all but here's my .02$ worth.

Browning makes it's BAR in just about any caliber Mr. G&KL might be interested in From .243 , .270, 308, 30-06, on and on for A suggested retail starting at $809 and going up but I have seen them in one store starting at $650.

Similar to the Mini-14 suggests the Mini-30 in 7.62x39 (basically a 308 NATO I understand)

Remington's 7400 model is about the same for caliber choice (a little more limited) as Browning. Suggested retail starts at $520.

Trying to look into a Browning or a Remington myself and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned. Those are so customizable they can be made to look like an assault rifle. A great way to piss off any gun hating nazis that manage to get into your home and see it.;f ;N Like I said, my two cents worth, take it or leave it.;c

rfb45colt 07-07-2002 00:49

Quote:

Originally posted by SteyrAUG
But of course the Steyr AUG.
Just curious... do they make a left-handed version?

If I shot that thing, I'd be digging the brass out of my ear. ;P

brass308 07-07-2002 00:54

Humm, so we want something like a mini-14, but in a larger caliber. That sounds a lot like this old gun I heard of called the M-14. Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like just the thing he'd be wanting.

Now my personal fav. is the Walther WA2000

rfb45colt 07-07-2002 00:58

[QUOTE]Originally posted by .45Ranger

Similar to the Mini-14 suggests the Mini-30 in 7.62x39 (basically a 308 NATO I understand)

Not really the same. 7.62x39 is similar to the .30-30 ballistically, but it's not up to par with the .308. The "original" mini-30, called the "XGI" was to be in .308... but there were problems along the line somewhere, and it was never released. This was back in the late 80s.

... and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned.

Huh? Did I miss something? Who's talking about "banning" mini-30s?

FLIPPER 348 07-07-2002 01:02

for small 30-30 sized game a nice full lenght Russian or Chinese threaded barrel SKS.
get a full length hunting stock, RECIEVER mounted Weaver rail, 5 round fixed mag>>remove the front sight post and the other crap up front and you will have one of the finest semi-auto hunting rifles around!!.....for the caliber at least. Inexpensive too

not much in the 'looks' dept though

FLIPPER 348 07-07-2002 01:02

Quote:

Originally posted by rfb45colt

don't know about a 'post-ban' AUG (never seen one) but a real AUG can be converted from right to left hand by installng the bolt in either position and moving a 'blanking plate/dust cover' to the opposite side.

I had one back in the day and while I found it had high points in the 'ohh-ahh' factor, I did not like the way it shot

chevrofreak 07-07-2002 02:43

http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/

http://www.snipercentral.com/sr25.htm

http://www.impactguns.com/store/knig..._mkllmod0.html

can you see which way i'm leaning? ;f

.308 (7.62x51) is hard to beat. extremely accurate, and has great killing power.

other options are an M60 ;f

.45Ranger 07-07-2002 03:10

Quote:

Not really the same. 7.62x39 is similar to the .30-30 ballistically, but it's not up to par with the .308. The "original" mini-30, called the "XGI" was to be in .308... but there were problems along the line somewhere, and it was never released. This was back in the late 80s.

... and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned.

Huh? Did I miss something? Who's talking about "banning" mini-30s? [/B]
Ok i was mistaken might have been something else about the 7.62x39 being the same as a 308. As far as the banning of mini-30's it's only a matter of time before the "they look like an assault rifle so it must be an assualt rifle" gun grabbing crowd of air-headed fools get to them. Besides that every time I see one the seems to have gone up. Then again I keep looking at the price on a lot of stuff so I could have been mistaken there too. Cheers.;c

trapfan 07-07-2002 03:53

Semi-Auto Long Weapon

If your pockets are deep....I would get a Springfield M1A with a fiber syn. stock. in .308 cal. When proper bullets are used you can press this rifle in to a great hunting weapon on big game. He could put a Brookfield precision scope mount on it with a good Leupold 3.5X10 VeriX III and it will serve him well. This is the basic setup I have and it has taken a few Whitetail deer and many varmits. Pull the scope and mount off and he can shoot service rifle comp. with the same rifle...JMTCW;)

m65swede 07-07-2002 04:05

Re: What's Yer Idea Of A Good Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle?

I have two that qualify. One is a Remington 7400; mine is in .270 Win and is MagNaPorted. The other is a Browning BAR in .30-06. Both of these rifles were set up for hunting whitetail deer in the brush and thickets of the Northeastern US. Each is fitted with a 1.5x5 variable power scope.

Both of them shoot accurately enough. The Rem is a little loud, but the barrel barely jumps at the shot; follow-up shots are quick! The BAR is easily the softest shooting 30-06 I have ever fired. The Rem is about $100 or so cheaper than the Browning; the Browning has a wider selection of calibers including magnum calibers.

I also have M1 Garands and various other military style semi-autos, but don't truly consider them to be "hunting" rifles.

Good luck with your choice! :)

Swede

Hailstorm 07-07-2002 06:58

Barret 50Cal.;a

exmdshooter 07-07-2002 07:00

Hey GKL;

As some others have ponted out - a lot depends on what he wants to hunt. 7.62x39 is quite adequate for much North American game, which reminds me... did you ever make it to the range with that SKS you picked up... for him? If you did, and posted an eval, I must have missed it. Lots of folks hunt with these - scoped they can be sufficiently accurate out past 100 yards or so (about the max you'd ever need in this here eastern part of the US).

Finally got mine (a '54 Russian) the other week. Been cleaning (and fondling) it but haven't made it out to the range as of yet. Can't wait - she's a beaut.

Of course, if the motivation is to pick up another gun... well, that's always a good reason :cool:

chevrofreak 07-07-2002 08:56

Quote:

Originally posted by mdshooter
As some others have ponted out - a lot depends on what he wants to hunt. 7.62x39 is quite adequate for much North American game

i havent seen many hollow points in 7.62x39, but if you can find some it would probably be adequate to drop a deer to 200 yards.

i would still rather use a .308 winchester (7.62x51NATO) they have more inherent accuracy, and more velocity.

.308 winchester is just as powerful as .30-06 since they have nearly the same charges, and bullet design/weight.

just ask the S.W.A.T. snipers.

SteyrAUG 07-07-2002 10:41

Quote:

Actually yes. The AUG has ejection ports on both sides and the unused one is covered. You simply change the cover and instal a left hand eject bolt head.