Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Martial Arts Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Affliction: Banned and UFC: SILVA vs. IRVIN (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898939)

gr81disp 07-21-2008 03:07

Affliction: Banned and UFC: SILVA vs. IRVIN

Both were good shows.

For those who don't know, Affliction clothing company decided to hold their own MMA event, so the UFC banned them from sponsoring fighters that compete. Hence the name. They have some definite name recognition when it comes to fighters and Donald Trump has ponied up some cash for them, so who knows what the future holds.

Anyways, UFC results first.

Format
Fighter 1 v. Fighter 2: Winner, Method, Round, Round Time expired
Commentary

UD=Unanimous Decision
SD=Split Decision
MD= Majority Decision
DOC = Doctor Stoppage
KO, TKO, SUB and DRAW are all self explanatory.

Only going with the televised fights.

Jesse "JT Money" Taylor vs. C.B. "The Doberman" Dollaway: Dollaway, SUB, R1, 3:58
Taylor screwed up, but Dana White needed somebody willing to fight on short notice, so Taylor, after cleaning up his life a bit, was welcomed back. There are only two words to describe this fight. Peruvian Necktie. What? I said:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...sp/necktie.gif

Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson: Burns, TKO, R3, 3:35
This fight was a little weird. Good action throughout, but Burns kept throwing a palm strike jab (Burns later explained that he had broken his hand three times and couldn't throw a fist) that repeatedly had fingers striking Johnson in the eye. In the third, Burns threw a "jab" and then an uppercut, Johnson SCREAMED in pain and then collapsed to the canvas. The ref stopped the fight and declared it a TKO for Burns because of the angle he was at. However, a replay showed that the "jab" had a finger go deep into Johnson's eye and the uppercut missed completely. The rules say that a ref cannot use instant replay to make his decision and his decision stands unless an appeal is made to the Nevada Athletic Commission. Should be ruled a disqualification win for Johnson.

Cain Velasquez vs. "Irish" Jake O'Brien: Velasquez, TKO, R1, 2:02
Ok, normally I don't mind if a fight goes a little longer than it should, but in this one, I was yelling at my TV. Velaszquez got O'Brien into a crucifix and began dropping shots. Admittedly, they weren't very hard, but part of not being stopped is intelligently defending yourself, which O'Brien wasn't doing. Velasquez had O'Brien in that position for 56 seconds and landed 77 UNANSWERED shots before the ref stopped it.

Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca: Edgar, UD
Boring. Good 1st rd and Franca almost took Edgar's arm home with him, but Edgar escaped and just dominated Franca for the rest of the fight.

Brandon "The Truth" Vera vs. Andy Reese: Vera UD
Once again, boring fight. Vera looked slow and sloppy, probably because this is his first time cutting to 205 lbs.

MAIN EVENT
Non-Title fight

UFC Middleweight Champion
Anderson "The Spider" Silva
6'2" 206 lbs.
(21W-4L)

vs.

James "The Sandman" Irvin
6'2" 206 lbs.
(14W-4L-1NC)

This fight marked Anderson Silva's first foray into the UFC's 205 division. I wish I had more to type, but well...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/gr81disp/svi.gif

WINNER:
Anderson "The Spider" Silva
KO R1 1:01
(22W-4L)

gr81disp 07-21-2008 22:08

Sorry for the delay.

RESULTS: Affliction: BANNED

Ok, I'll admit, I didn't see all the fights, so I am just gonna comment on the fights I saw.

Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello vs. Gary "Big Daddy" Goodridge: Buentello, UD
Slow boring fight punctuated by Buentello hurting Goodridge badly with a flurry, only to inexplicably back off each time. Disappointing showing by the Headhunter.

"The Phenom" Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin: Belfort, KO, R2, 3:12
Ok, you should be careful whenever you fight somebody with a nickname like "The Phenom". True, lately Belfort hasn't had the same machine gun punch combos that he used to destroy Tank Abbott and Wanderlei Silva back when earned the nickname, but he proved he still has power. After a feeling out period in the first round, Belfort found his range in the second and put Martin to sleep with a beautiful right uppercut, left straight combo.

Mike "Quicksand" Pyle vs JJ Ambrose: Pyle, SUB, R1, 2:51
Both fighters stall in the clinch at the start before Pyle takes Ambrose down with a bodylock. Pyle then proceeds to dominate Ambrose until sinking in the Rear Naked Choke.

Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira vs. Edwin "Babyface" Dewees: Lil' Nog, TKO, R1, 4:06
The UFC HW champion's twin brother handled Dewees pretty easily. Somewhat slow paced at first, towards the end of the first Minotoro opened up with knees from the thai plum before finishing Dewees with a vicious left hook, followed by a little ground and pound for the exclamation point.

Matt "The Law" Lindland vs. Fabio Negao: Lindland, UD
Didn't see but no surprise.

Mike Whitehead vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral: Babalu, UD
See above.

Mark "The Machine" Hominick vs. Trenell "Savant" Young: Hominick, SUB, R2, 4:25
Round one is a standup affair with Hominick dismantling Young. Round two starts the same but Young scores a takedown. Some ground and pound is interrupted by Hominick trying an armbar, Young defending, Hominick switching to a triangle and then back to an armbar for the submission win.

Josh "The Babyfaced Assassin" Barnett vs. Pedro "The Rock" Rizzo: Barnett, KO, R2, 1:44
This was a little slow, but then Barnett managed to plant a left hook on Rizzo to end his night early.

Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski vs. "Big" Ben Rothwell: Arlovski, KO, R3, 1:13
This is what sophisticated fans call a butt-whoopin'. With the exception of some ground and pound in the second, Rothwell was able to mount no offense and Arlovski handled him like a child. In short, Arlovski outclassed Rothwell in every aspect of the fight. A nasty combo at the end of the second had Rothwell on queer street only to be saved by the bell. A sick straight right turned out Rothwell's lights and Arlovski punctuated his victory with a left uppercut.

MAIN EVENT

VACANT WAMMA HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emelianenko
6'0" 233 lbs.
(27W-1L-1NC)

vs

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia
6'8" 265lbs.
(26W-5L)

You know, I was one of the few who predicted Sylvia would do well. I have never bought into the Fedor hype of him being unstoppable and felt he had to prove himself against a worthy opponent. Having spent the last three years fighting cans, freakshows or fighters who were fighting out of their weightclass, I was excited when the Sylvia fight was announced. Finally, a top ten opponent. Time for Fedor to be exposed. 36 seconds after the bell sounded to start the fight, Emelianenko had proved me wrong. Yes, you read correctly, Fedor Emelianenko defeated Tim Sylvia in 36 seconds. A flurry floored the Maine-iac and then some ground and pount led to a bar rear naked choke (which is when, instead of cutting off the bloodflow, you put pressure on the windpipe. Less effective but 1000x more painful.). What can I say but I was wrong, Fedor is the #1 heavyweight on the planet.

WINNER:
NEW WAMMA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Fedor "The Last Emperor" Emelianenko
Submission
Round 1
0:36
(28W-1L-1NC)

gr81disp 07-21-2008 22:43

Ok, now for the untelevised UFC: Silva vs. Irvin fights

Shannon Gugerty vs. Dale Hartt: Gugerty, SUB, R1, 3:33
Gugerty went for a takedown but was almost caught in a Hartt guillotine. After the fight hit the ground though, although Gugerty didn't do much damage, he positionally dominated Hartt before taking the back, locking in the body triangle and sinking in the rear naked choke.

Brad Blackburn vs. James Giboo: Blackburn, TKO, R2, 2:29
This was as one-sided as it gets. Blackburn dominated everywhere and just systematically dismanted Giboo.

Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees: Loughran, SUB, R1, 4:21
Classic wrestler vs. Jiu-jitsu. Rees was tough as hell and had some nasty ground and pound, but Loughran locked up a triangle and although it took him awhile to secure it, he finally elicited the tapout.

Brodie Farber vs. Rory Markham: Markham, KO, R1, 1:37
This one was actually televised but anyways...very evenly matched fight. Farber managed to hurt Markham early with straight rights and Farber began to chase Markham as he retreated. Unfortunately for Farber, he dropped his hands as he approached and fell victim to possibly the greatest head kick KO in UFC history.

"Crazy" Tim Credeur vs. Cale Yarbrough: Credeur, TKO, R1, 1:54
Pretty good scrap but Credeur was obviously the better standup fighter and it never went to the ground. Credeur put Yarbrough away less than two minutes in with an uppercut and a couple of shots while Yarbrough was slumped against the fence. I like Credeur alot, but he needs to remember to keep his chin down or he will pay like he did against Dollaway.

And that is it for American MMA.

ny rifleman 07-30-2008 18:38

Excelent post. Thanks for the info. I don't think Tim Sylvia is all that good, he's kind of awkward. I think you will se him go bye bye soon. I think Heath Hering is over rated too. He's going to get his a** handed to him by Brock.