Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maryland/D. C. Glockers (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   New to VA (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906257)

Beeen 08-06-2008 21:03

New to VA

Hello all,
Just relocated to Fairfax, VA. Can anyone give me a lead on good ranges around here?
Thanks

Washington,D.C. 08-13-2008 17:14

NRA indoor range in Fairfax. Rifle and pistol.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/

Beeen 08-13-2008 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washington,D.C. (Post 11062607)
NRA indoor range in Fairfax. Rifle and pistol.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/

Thanks WashingtonD.C.
I actually just checked that range out last week, it's awesome. Right down the road too! I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time there.

thekidd76 08-22-2008 08:29

range

Just down route 50 from NRA is Blue Ridge Arsenal as well that you may want to check out.

mazdaboi 10-23-2008 21:26

Even taking a ride down to spotsylvania or dale city area, there are ranges aroud there.

tinygnat219 06-15-2009 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekidd76 (Post 11120202)
Just down route 50 from NRA is Blue Ridge Arsenal as well that you may want to check out.

Just one thing to consider, the owner of Blue Ridge is an Obama supporter.

The NRA range is also cheaper per year and allows rifles at its indoor 50 yard range. While you can shoot rifles up to .30-06 at Blue Ridge, it's 25 yards. :upeyes:

ANother one to try is Gilberts Small Arms Range in Lorton (a bit of a hike for you), but it's the cheapest deal around at $235 for the year vice 300 for the NRA, and close to 500 for Blue Ridge. Gilberts also has guns for sale unlike Blue Ridge (well, they have 5 and they're all HK, Glock, or SIG).

Lotus000 06-20-2009 05:55

Not only is he an Obama supporter, but I think that their customer service is rotten.

I had some Trijicons installed on my 23 (for the princely sum of $110 for the sights and $40 for the install, could have had them done at Virginia Arms in Manassas for around $90 all told, but they didn't have them in stock).

I live in DC, so while it's not a HUGE pain for me to get out there, it's not a short jaunt. I went in, they said I'd have to leave my slide. Sure. They say that they'll call me when the sights are finished.

I wait a day.

I wait another day.

...four days later I call (and putting sights on is about a five minute job).

"Yes, I was wondering if my pistol is ready, I had....."

"Can you call back, we're really busy right now."

Seriously? Can I CALL BACK?

Well, I did. "Yes," they said, "your slide's done, you can come pick it up."

So I drive 40 minutes out there to pick up my slide. Lo and behold, the front sight is crooked--and I'm not exaggerating at all--by at LEAST ten degrees.

I ask the guy at the counter, "is there a reason this sight's so far off?"

"Ummm.....ummm.....is it off? Let me see. Oh, yeah, I guess it is a little off."

I will NOT be going back to Blue Ridge for anything, ever, ever again. (and this was BEFORE I found out the owners were Obama supporters....ugh, puke).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinygnat219 (Post 13177345)
Just one thing to consider, the owner of Blue Ridge is an Obama supporter.

The NRA range is also cheaper per year and allows rifles at its indoor 50 yard range. While you can shoot rifles up to .30-06 at Blue Ridge, it's 25 yards. :upeyes:

ANother one to try is Gilberts Small Arms Range in Lorton (a bit of a hike for you), but it's the cheapest deal around at $235 for the year vice 300 for the NRA, and close to 500 for Blue Ridge. Gilberts also has guns for sale unlike Blue Ridge (well, they have 5 and they're all HK, Glock, or SIG).

backbore 06-21-2009 08:20

Oh brother, politics gets into this area? Politics? Leave it in the lounge.

automan 06-29-2009 11:04

If you want gun smithing done right, go to Northern Virginia Gun Works in Springfield, Va off of Fullerton Road. A bit of a hike but Sandy Garret and son Robert were/are police armorers and are very good at what they do. Phone first to get their hours@703-644-6504.

4570Lever 07-08-2009 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by backbore (Post 13218159)
Oh brother, politics gets into this area? Politics? Leave it in the lounge.

No, its regionally relevant and I'm glad I was here to find out. I concur that the inventory stinks, the help is lousy and its pathetic as a gun store. That said, I poke my nose in the door once every six months or so just to see if there's any improvement.

If he's really an Obama supporter, I'm never setting foot in the place again and i'm glad the flow of info here helped me find out. Its on my NEVER AGAIN list with Purcell Guns in Purcellville for lousy service and attitude too.

I can second VA Arms in Manassas as a high quality, friendly and reasonable shop. I think they might send out some of their gunsmithing but they WILL take care of you. I'm pretty sure he does not support Anti 2A politicians either.

witty2008 07-17-2009 18:36

NOVA Friends of the NRA

You can make some really good contacts by getting involved with the NOVA Friends of the NRA. Send an email to novafnra@gmail.com

Thier annual banquet is Friday Oct 2, 2009

NOCM 08-31-2009 01:52

If you have tons of money to blow, check out the Silver Eagle Group. They have a new range north of Dulles airport. $25/hr for range time or you can get one of their memberships for the low low price of your first born child. It is an impressive facility though.

vafish 11-09-2009 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOCM (Post 13686882)
If you have tons of money to blow, check out the Silver Eagle Group. They have a new range north of Dulles airport. $25/hr for range time or you can get one of their memberships for the low low price of your first born child. It is an impressive facility though.

SEG has a monthly membership that isn't too bad.

$100 initiation fee and $35 per month covers your range time. You don't get to use the gym or showers or get your car detailed while you shoot, but it is much cheaper than their upper level memberships.

And SEG Owners, like Blue Ridge AResenal's Owners, have contributed money to Obamma.

eaglesfan55 05-06-2010 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeen (Post 11018870)
Hello all,
Just relocated to Fairfax, VA. Can anyone give me a lead on good ranges around here?
Thanks

if youre new to VA why dont you hop over to the Virginia forum and say hi