Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   GTArmY - Join The Fight! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Concept Suggestions (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929860)

Eric 09-28-2008 17:24

Concept Suggestions

This is a thread for the discussion of the overall concept of our new war game. For instance, should it remain a medieval theme, or should we maybe modernize it, with modern weapons, defense and such?

This is a thread for 'big-picture' suggestions. There is another thread running for feature suggestions. Eric

bchandler 09-28-2008 18:06

I personally like the medieval theme. Like I said in my feature suggestions post, we could make it as fantastical as we like, with special troops like dragons, cavalry, monsters, etc. I think we get enough of the modern-day fighting in video games and the news, personally!

Also, castle fortifications could include buckets of tar/oil, wooden spikes, moats, etc, each costing additional gold (you could have like 5 buckets of tar and 100 wooden spikes around your castle, each adding to the defense points).

Eric 09-28-2008 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchandler (Post 11366008)
I personally like the medieval theme. Like I said in my feature suggestions post, we could make it as fantastical as we like, with special troops like dragons, cavalry, monsters, etc. I think we get enough of the modern-day fighting in video games and the news, personally!

Also, castle fortifications could include buckets of tar/oil, wooden spikes, moats, etc, each costing additional gold (you could have like 5 buckets of tar and 100 wooden spikes around your castle, each adding to the defense points).

That's a good point. Eric

Jav21 09-28-2008 18:27

There are other games like this out there and you can contact those organization for tips.

I used to play "Midnight Challenge" and "Nitto1320" which are drag racing based game where players could buy racing parts by selling magazines or race other players for pick slips and take their cars and money. Nitto1320 also had its own live chat rooms and forums. The above became a full on competition where players could use real money to buy upgraded accounts and parts. The top players in a round won actual prizes.

Everything I am talking about was happening about 5 years ago so I have no idea how complex it is now.

I must say Eric that this can become an impossible to manage and very time intensive endeavor 'edit - for you' without having many mods to support it. Cheating also became rampant as hackers could create digital revenue streams which led to real revenue.

Malkuth 09-28-2008 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jav21 (Post 11366180)
There are other games like this out there and you can contact those organization for tips.

I used to play "Midnight Challenge" and "Nitto1320" which are drag racing based game where players could buy racing parts by selling magazines or race other players for pick slips and take their cars and money. Nitto1320 also had its own live chat rooms and forums. The above became a full on competition where players could use real money to buy upgraded accounts and parts. The top players in a round won actual prizes.

Everything I am talking about was happening about 5 years ago so I have no idea how complex it is now.

I must say Eric that this can become an impossible to manage and very time intensive endeavor 'edit - for you' without having many mods to support it. Cheating also became rampant as hackers could create digital revenue streams which led to real revenue.

Eric has already thought of this and this is why down the road he will add more mods that are interested in Helping move this game along. Right now the game is only day old and I don't think we have to worry to much about cheating yet..

This is going to be a community based game. The ideas and such are mostly going to be yours and other members. Eric will put in the things he can and is willing to do, and can do.

bchandler 09-28-2008 18:38

Just thought of another cool possible theme: post-apocalyptic world. So, your troops could have cool weapons like scrap steel, chains, etc, and the ultimate weapons would be firearms (since they would be scarce). Your fortress could be a building, and the defenses ironically similar to the medieval defenses (spikes, hot oil buckets, etc).

Eric 09-28-2008 21:06

It would be interesting to have some autonomous bad guys that would attack online players at random. Imagine, for instance, if there was a roving horde of zombies, that attacked at random. Say once an hour, the game would choose a player at random and attack him. He would be sent a PM that he was under attack and would have 'x' amount of time to log in and mount a defense. Traditional defenses would not be very effective against these guys, but there would be some things you could purchase and have onhand to defend against them. If you did not respond to the warning PM, the attack would happen against your default defenses, which would operate at a disadvantage. These attacks could hurt someone, but not take them out. If you successfully defended yourself, perhaps there is something of importance you could take away from them. What do you guys think of that?

Can you imagine someone interrupting a meeting at work or something, because they just got a PM on their phone and had to run to fight off a zombie attack?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

c-mama 09-28-2008 21:11

D'oh!

Like trying to keep my army protected against the GT masses isn't enough. Now i need to worry about zombies. Sheesh!

Sorry, kids. Mommy is out of commission for the next couple of days. You're on your own for school and food.

:rofl:

Malkuth 09-28-2008 21:13

Yeah. Thats great.... And maybe a national disaster or two that are random that effect the Bonus Defenses or Offenses that you bought for a set amount of time.....

Your reading in GNG and get a zombie attack message oh thats classic. :rofl:

Malkuth 09-28-2008 21:20

Also some wanted to add maps.. Even though that won't be possible.. We could have a 2nd resource called LP.. (land Points) which represents the amount of land your race owns.. Every player starts with a certain amount of Land Points say 5.

This could directly effect the amount of houses you can build, and or gold mines, and factories that can be built.

LP points can be taken with a direct attack something a little different then say attacking for gold.. I think attacking for gold should be considered maybe a raid. But to attack LP that would be an all out attack that would cost you money, and a Higher % of soldiers lost if you fail.

To keep it fair every player would be able to keep 1 or 2 LP points to keep them in game that they can't lose.

this would also help with Allies, the LP points can be added up from all allies to form one huge LP pool for the alliance that gives benifits too all in allies.

Eric 09-28-2008 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkuth (Post 11367484)
Yeah. Thats great.... And maybe a national disaster or two that are random that effect the Bonus Defenses or Offenses that you bought for a set amount of time.....

Your reading in GNG and get a zombie attack message oh thats classic. :rofl:

I know. Wouldn't that be cool? We could have special zombie-defense weapons and could equip some soldiers especially for that eventuality. I don't much about games like this, but I have never heard of anything like this.

It could go even deeper. You can fight to turn the zombies away or to kill as many of them as possible. Fighting to kill as many as possible would obviously be more risky and costly, but you would have chance of gaining something valuable and you would do damage to the zombies. Let's say the zombies have 'x' amount of strength each day. Someone can turn their attack, but they wouldn't hurting them much, so the zombies would be stronger for the next person they attach. We then make each attacked person's method of defense a matter of public record for all to see. If someone gets their clock cleaned by the zombies and then sees buddy 'x' fought them the hour before and did nothing to blunt the attack, he might have some allegiances to remap.:devildance:

Eric 09-28-2008 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkuth (Post 11367547)
Also some wanted to add maps.. Even though that won't be possible.. We could have a 2nd resource called LP.. (land Points) which represents the amount of land your race owns.. Every player starts with a certain amount of Land Points say 5.

This could directly effect the amount of houses you can build, and or gold mines, and factories that can be built.

LP points can be taken with a direct attack something a little different then say attacking for gold.. I think attacking for gold should be considered maybe a raid. But to attack LP that would be an all out attack that would cost you money, and a Higher % of soldiers lost if you fail.

To keep it fair every player would be able to keep 1 or 2 LP points to keep them in game that they can't lose.

this would also help with Allies, the LP points can be added up from all allies to form one huge LP pool for the alliance that gives benifits too all in allies.

We can add maps down the road, although that would probably be too ambitious for the v1 release. Eric

Eric 09-28-2008 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 11367560)
I know. Wouldn't that be cool? We could have special zombie-defense weapons and could equip some soldiers especially for that eventuality. I don't much about games like this, but I have never heard of anything like this.

It could go even deeper. You can fight to turn the zombies away or to kill as many of them as possible. Fighting to kill as many as possible would obviously be more risky and costly, but you would have chance of gaining something valuable and you would do damage to the zombies. Let's say the zombies have 'x' amount of strength each day. Someone can turn their attack, but they wouldn't hurting them much, so the zombies would be stronger for the next person they attach. We then make each attacked person's method of defense a matter of public record for all to see. If someone gets their clock cleaned by the zombies and then sees buddy 'x' fought them the hour before and did nothing to blunt the attack, he might have some allegiances to remap.:devildance:

Or even take that a step further and give people the ability to sell out someone else to lessen the zombie attack on them, but the kicker is the person they screwed over would know it. Eric

Eric 09-28-2008 21:55

Let's say we have a map with maybe eight or ten different regions. When you join, you start out with a certain amount of money. You have to buy a place to live, in addition to weapons, soldiers, etc. Each region will have a different combinations of strengths and weaknesses. Mountainous areas are expensive and have hard winters, but fewer zombie attacks and they are much more defensible. The coastal areas are cheaper, but you have to worry about pirates and zombies and such, plus the area is not very defensible. The storms suck too. Perhaps someone doesn't have enough money to start, to live in anywhere, but one of the bad or mediocre areas. He must kick some butt and gather some gold to move to better regions, which costs money both to move and to buy the new place.

There could be a number of autonomous threats, each specific to a certain region, but with a lesser probability and with lesser impact, they can affect surrounding regions. Stuff like:
  • Sea storms
  • Winter storms
  • zombies
  • pirates
  • mountain trolls
You get the idea. Each region has its drawbacks. Some of the autonomous threats grow stronger, if they aren't defeated properly. Perhaps if a troll isn't killed, he gets smarter and stronger. If the zombie hordes don't get culled back regularly, that get so strong that many people will have to ally to fight them back. All of this could add very interesting dimension to the game. Eric

BTW, each year could be a month long, giving us four seasons, in a fairly short span. Perhaps you have to set aside a certain amount of money for food and heat, or some of your people die in the winter. Maybe the coastal storms are stronger during the warm times, etc. EP

Glock 19 God 09-29-2008 15:18

The ranking needs to be done by Offensive and Defensive rating. Not by simply the number of soldiers. I see that as one of the only huge issues with the game. I have quite a bit of experience playing a similar concept game. Except Earth 2025 is much much more advanced. For anyone that has never heard of Earth 2025 here is the link: http://games.swirve.com/earth/

I have been playing that game for almost 8 years. I have finished in the top 10 numerous times. Which, is quite an accomplishment if you know the game. There is thousands of people per game.

Malkuth 09-29-2008 16:13

Yeah a lot of things do have to change to balance this game. The game is unbalanced right now beyond imagination.

Having the only resource really in the game the thing that you lose when you attack is almost certainly not going to work and make everyone not want to play this.

Bigger countries will always just pick on the smaller ones and steal money.. While the smaller ones will never have any money to grow. Something else has to be lost when Your attacked.

Coming up with another system like you can purchase soldiers, when you are attacked you use soldiers to defend... But both parties lose soldiers like in the real world. The attacker has to have a risk.. Even if powerful etc.

So some ideas on how the attack system can work will be a good option to talk about today. Because right now its not working too good for the new players.. And also doesn't work for higher players because they have nothing to gain right now because no reason to attack since no money.

So Lets hear your ideas on how the Attack system on players should work. What should we lose? What should atacker lose?

berusch 09-30-2008 09:04

If an attacking army looses soldiers, the weapons those soldiers were carrying should stay with the defending army. That would help fortify weak armies after a loss, either by using the dropped weapons or by selling them off for something else needed.

Glock 19 God 09-30-2008 09:55

I honestly think the whole clicking on the recruitment link is the wrong way to do this game. You need to be able to build some kind of building which will allow the creation of units and weapons.

Eric and Mal, you should seriously go sign up for an account in Earth 2025. Just so you can get an idea of how that works and the kind of concepts that can taken and modified to fit GT Army.

If you have buildings in which you can manufacture units and weapons you can create a REAL market. That way a person can make gold to work on their army without being FORCED to attack another army. It would enable a TRUE definition of a defensive race. I think that is one of the biggest problems with this game ATM.

Malkuth 09-30-2008 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock 19 God (Post 11375874)
I honestly think the whole clicking on the recruitment link is the wrong way to do this game. You need to be able to build some kind of building which will allow the creation of units and weapons.

Eric and Mal, you should seriously go sign up for an account in Earth 2025. Just so you can get an idea of how that works and the kind of concepts that can taken and modified to fit GT Army.

If you have buildings in which you can manufacture units and weapons you can create a REAL market. That way a person can make gold to work on their army without being FORCED to attack another army. It would enable a TRUE definition of a defensive race. I think that is one of the biggest problems with this game ATM.

And we agree with you. And what you say is hopefully something that can be worked into the game... In fact that would work great..

I know Eric whats this game to be a fun game, but the scope of Earth 2025 might be way beyond what he wants or can do. But some of the ideas like how to build armies, and make money can be used if it will work. And like we said, we are willing to listen to all ideas.

But right now I don't think Eric has any time to give to a whole new game like earth. But I will check it out.

Glock 19 God 09-30-2008 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkuth (Post 11376970)
And we agree with you. And what you say is hopefully something that can be worked into the game... In fact that would work great..

I know Eric whats this game to be a fun game, but the scope of Earth 2025 might be way beyond what he wants or can do. But some of the ideas like how to build armies, and make money can be used if it will work. And like we said, we are willing to listen to all ideas.

But right now I don't think Eric has any time to give to a whole new game like earth. But I will check it out.

I am not saying to make the game anywhere near as advanced as Earth 2025. I am simply saying to look at some of the concepts. That is all. There are alot of good things that can be used to make this game much better, which would not require the game to be near as advanced.

I also am not saying to join Earth 2025 and actually play the game. Just make an account and look at the game, read the rules, take a couple turns, etc.......

I am a big supporter of this GT Army game, and I have 8 years experience with Earth 2025. I will be here to give as much of my suggestions and opinion as Eric wants to listen.