Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's About Time (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Anyone own a Ball ? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947344)

Crusher47 11-06-2008 20:21

Anyone own a Ball ?
 
I'm strictly a Breitling/Omega/Tag Heuer guy but have been looking at Ball lately. Anyone have one? Compliments/complaints/criticisms??

gruntmedik 11-07-2008 19:07

Just this one that was my Papaws.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...h003resize.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...h020resize.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...h008resize.jpg

As for the current Balls, I like several of them, and will have one one of these days.

.264 magnum 12-03-2008 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusher47 (Post 11603291)
I'm strictly a Breitling/Omega/Tag Heuer guy but have been looking at Ball lately. Anyone have one? Compliments/complaints/criticisms??

A friend of mine has one and loves it, his has been a great daily wear watch for many years. I'm strongly considering one for my next score.

Crusher47 12-05-2008 17:34

I bought a Ball Fireman 43mm and love it!! I can't stop looking at it, LOL

Pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ches/Ball5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ches/Ball6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...hes/Ball10.jpg

California Jack 12-05-2008 21:54

I'm sure Ball makes a fine watch. But I wouldn't own a current model. I'm not a fan of the Tritium vials. What happens in 10 years when they fade?

Now, if you're talking about a Ball like Grunt's, man I'd love to have something like that.

Grunt, that watch is BEAUTIFUL!

USMCsilver 12-06-2008 22:10

Uhh, are you familiar with the half-life of tritium?

And, FWIW, dials can be replaced; vials can be replaced.

Any good watch needs a service every once in a while... Nothing last for ever. You change the oil in your car, right?

gruntmedik 12-07-2008 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Jack (Post 11790311)
I'm sure Ball makes a fine watch. But I wouldn't own a current model. I'm not a fan of the Tritium vials. What happens in 10 years when they fade?

Now, if you're talking about a Ball like Grunt's, man I'd love to have something like that.

Grunt, that watch is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks. It still keeps wonderful time, and I still use it when I dress up.

California Jack 12-07-2008 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCsilver (Post 11796998)
Uhh, are you familiar with the half-life of tritium?

Sure, it is not too much more than 10 years, why?

USMCsilver 12-08-2008 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Jack (Post 11803225)
Sure, it is not too much more than 10 years, why?

My point was that it lasts a long time and that the tritium can be replaced. A company like Ball is not going anywhere, anytime soon, so service on the watch would be possible.

FWIW, I thought the life was a bit longer, but oh well...

While Tritium has several different experimentally-determined values of its half-life, the NIST recommends 45008 days (approximately 12.32 years).<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1]</SUP> It decays into helium-3 by the reaction
<DL><DD><TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 2em"><TD>
31
T </TD><TD>→ </TD><TD>
32
He
</TD><TD>+ </TD><TD>e<SUP>−</SUP> </TD><TD>+ </TD><TD>νe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DD></DL>and releases 18.6 keV of energy in the process.

California Jack 12-08-2008 16:34

I may not gt this exactly, but there is only one company that makes tritium vials and they don't sell them as just vials. I'm not sure what that means in regards to re-vialing existing hands and dials.

USMCsilver 12-08-2008 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Jack (Post 11808493)
I may not gt this exactly, but there is only one company that makes tritium vials and they don't sell them as just vials. I'm not sure what that means in regards to re-vialing existing hands and dials.

Ball would either replace the tritium on the dial, or they would just put a new dial on the watch during a servicing.

I know that Rolex Service Center will replace a dial when the superluminova is not too bright anymore.

2glock40s 07-19-2009 19:34

Gruntmedik is my brother so part of that watch is mine:supergrin:! As for the luminous hands on the Ball watches, if I'm up to date on my reading, the luminosity for the Ball tubes is 25 years. After that they will replace it as long as it has been regularly serviced.

gruntmedik 07-19-2009 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2glock40s (Post 13406379)
Gruntmedik is my brother so part of that watch is mine:supergrin:! As for the luminous hands on the Ball watches, if I'm up to date on my reading, the luminosity for the Ball tubes is 25 years. After that they will replace it as long as it has been regularly serviced.

But since I am the older, better looking brother, I have the watch. :rofl:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.