Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting, Fishing & Camping (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Kansas Pheasants (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96316)

TJC 08-15-2002 15:51

Kansas Pheasants

OK, booked the trip last night. Going to Norton, Kansas for pheasants in late Oct. It is about 8 miles south of Nebraska, in the north western to central part of the state.

Anyone know anything about the area and the pheasant hunting out there? This is suppose to be a Controlled Hunt Area as well as native bird area. Sounds like it should be ok.
Weather the last week in Oct? Snow etc.?

Thanks for any help or info anyone can offer.

magnumforce 08-15-2002 16:51

Don't know much about Norton area but in South Central Kansas between Harper and Wellington (South of US 160) I saw over 60 cock pheasants in 15 miles on the road shoulders eating spilled grain after a recent snow. And they were bold, too! Could have knocked off most of them with a pistol-they must have known it wasn't hunting season

Elkslayer 08-16-2002 10:23

What are the details about the hunt you booked? A buddy and I are considering the same thing but don't know where to go or who to contact.

How long is your hunt? What is/are the accomodations? Are you staying in a local motel or at some hunting lodge? What is provided? Dogs? Meals? Room? and of course, what is the cost?

TJC 08-16-2002 12:26

Elk,

Email sent.

kels 08-16-2002 16:34

There seems to be a good supply of pheasants in
the center part of the state.
HOWEVER it has been very dry and I dont know if this
has affected the pheasant population.
Might also check with Ks Wildlife and Parks in Pratt.
I think they may have a website online.
Good hunting...

TJC 08-17-2002 11:43

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to 4 days of good hunting. Only disappointment is that I won't be taking either of my dogs. One is too old for the trip and the other will be too young (6 months) for a trip like that. So we will be using the guide's dogs.

glockster96 08-17-2002 21:28

TJC,

The hunting should be pretty good up there. Shouldn't have to worry too much about the weather (it'll probably be cool, but I seriously doubt if there will be any snow.)

Good luck and have fun. :)

Elkslayer 08-18-2002 14:19

TJC -

Thanks for the info!

TJC 08-19-2002 21:22

Elk,

No problem.

MrMunster 08-23-2002 20:11

TJC,

Do you own a goretex jacket?

If so, make sure you pack it. I grew up hunting in southeast IA and this year will be the first time since I was 10 that I won't be hunting on opening weekend.

During that time, I've worn everything from a single cotton t-shirt to insulated coveralls; the weather can be unpredictable. The worst thing that you can be is wet (therefore, goretex), everything else is tolerable so long as you have on enough layers.

On the average though, I remember more 50 degree days in late Oct than I do 20 degree days. Nonetheless, it is often better to have it and not need it.

TJC 08-23-2002 20:59

I have numerous pieces of gortex. Great stuff.
I will be packing equipment for everything from warm to cold. Being 23 hours from home, I will need to have it with me just in case.

Thanks for the info.