Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Freemason's Lodge (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Does legacy matter when applying? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969505)

WigSplitter 12-24-2008 00:30

Does legacy matter when applying?

I've often thought of trying to become a Mason.
My great, great, great grandfather, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant, founded the first Masonic lodge in Tennessee. He also served several terms in the House of Representatives.

Do you Masons think this could assist me in any way as far as getting an interview? I have read that you have to be invited, but I don't know anyone that's a member.

Oldskoolfan 12-24-2008 04:06

I just became a Mason. You don't have to be invited to apply. You just have to ask. Go down to your local lodge and knock on the door.

Bilbo Baggins 12-24-2008 10:56

Accually you should never be "invited" you have to ask one to be one.

Javelin 12-24-2008 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins (Post 11913908)
Accually you should never be "invited" you have to ask one to be one.

Exactly. And to expound on the OP's question: it does not matter if you are legacy or not. Even a 33rd degree mason is the same as a 3rd degree mason or anyone else for that matter. As men are equal by birth regardless of their financial, political, or social-econonic status.

This fundamental is extremely important to anyone who is a Free-Mason. And is why the founders of this great country (who were masons) wrote the Declaration of Independence and included that verbiage exactly.

:wavey:

jetboatdriver 12-25-2008 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WigSplitter (Post 11911934)
I've often thought of trying to become a Mason.
My great, great, great grandfather, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant, founded the first Masonic lodge in Tennessee. He also served several terms in the House of Representatives.

Do you Masons think this could assist me in any way as far as getting an interview? I have read that you have to be invited, but I don't know anyone that's a member.

It will neither help nor hurt. It will be one of the answers to why you want to be a Mason. In my view you have done what is needed. PM me and I will help you get started along your way.

However the advice go knock on the door of the local Lodge is great advice

Oldskoolfan 12-26-2008 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboatdriver (Post 11919869)
However the advice go knock on the door of the local Lodge is great advice

Thanks for the compliment. It was the advice a brother gave me and I feel honored to pass it along.

ArodJohns 12-26-2008 19:02

For the OP: Like Oldskool stated, just call up the local Lodge and speak to whom ever answers the phone. (Make sure it is the Lodge though).

If all else fails, email your state's Grand Secretary and explain things to him.

Your great great great great grandfather's merits may well be recognized, but like another poster stated, it won't help but it won't hurt you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan (Post 11912450)
I just became a Mason. You don't have to be invited to apply. You just have to ask. Go down to your local lodge and knock on the door.

I see what you did there! :supergrin::tongueout:

WigSplitter 12-30-2008 22:57

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll go knock on the door.

I never thought to try that because I've never seen anyone come in or out, nor have I ever seen a car in the lot. I figured the lodges were unmanned except for when the members met, which must be in the middle of the night..

jetboatdriver 01-01-2009 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by WigSplitter (Post 11956185)
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll go knock on the door.

I never thought to try that because I've never seen anyone come in or out, nor have I ever seen a car in the lot. I figured the lodges were unmanned except for when the members met, which must be in the middle of the night..

Shoot me a PM with your email and location. I will help you get started.

Harley Rider 1955 01-26-2009 00:01

An old saying: "To be a Mason...ask a Mason!

Harley Rider 1955 01-29-2009 01:24

Do not be intimidated because other Freemasons must sign your petition. I found there are many more out there than I never knew.
Some may or may not ask why you want to join. I don't ask because I joined for personal reasons. If they DO ask, speak the truth and speak your heart. No man can ask more from you than that.

Spiffums 01-29-2009 05:15

When asked why I wanted to be a mason, I said Dad is, the men at church are, most of the outstanding older men I know are......... which I was answering these questions to the older men that I knew.

You gain entrance on your own merit. Then after you get in, it will be a nice conversation piece to talk about.