Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Handy Free Software List For Everyone (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982357)

Big Al 24 01-15-2009 19:53

Handy Free Software List For Everyone
 
:rofl:

Furant 01-15-2009 21:47

I agree with many of those. Here are a few of mine as well:

Security/Encryption
TrueCrypt
hxxp://www.truecrypt.org/

Axcrypt
hxxp://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Duplicate File Remover
DoubleKiller
hxxp://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

File Recovery
Undelete Plus
hxxp://www.undelete-plus.com/help/

TestDisk
hxxp://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Partition cloner/imaging
Clonezilla
hxxp://clonezilla.org/

Password Database
KeePass
hxxp://keepass.info/

KeePass for Blackberry
hxxp://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/keepassbb/

Sound Editor
Audacity
hxxp://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Text Editor
Notepad++
hxxp://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

IndyGunFreak 01-15-2009 22:06

Here's a couple suggestions, you all can add them where you see fit...

Partition Editor
Parted Magic Live CD - http://partedmagic.com/

Seamonkey Web Browser - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Big Al 24 01-15-2009 23:29

Thanks guys, you've brought up a couple that I'd forgotten. Notepad++ was one of them.

Toyman 01-16-2009 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 24 (Post 12077553)
...So this thread doesn't hog any bandwidth, I'll replace the T's in "http" with X's so you just have to paste them into your browser and change them...

Care to explain how that hogs bandwidth?

Big Al 24 01-17-2009 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyman (Post 12082667)
Care to explain how that hogs bandwidth?

I've seen other places request that people do that for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I was just trying to be courteous more than anything. But since this seems to be some kind of trick question to elicit an "aha" moment, why don't you go ahead and explain why I'm wrong about that? Here I just thought I was making a helpful list for people with the side benefit of gaining new programs for myself, but apparently I'm being quizzed or something.

IndyGunFreak 01-17-2009 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 24 (Post 12091804)
I've seen other places request that people do that for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I was just trying to be courteous more than anything. But since this seems to be some kind of trick question to elicit an "aha" moment, why don't you go ahead and explain why I'm wrong about that? Here I just thought I was making a helpful list for people with the side benefit of gaining new programs for myself, but apparently I'm being quizzed or something.

Some people just like to be an ass, I wouldn't worry about it. The list will be a useful resource for those who don't know any better, which is the point of the thread.

IGF

Unix'N'Guns 01-18-2009 02:26

No good deed will go unpunished.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyman (Post 12082667)
Care to explain how that hogs bandwidth?

He (OP) is introducing people to FOSS* & freeware alternatives. Can't see giving him a hard time for that.

I notice that there is no section for alternatives to Windows :-).

* It appears most items on the list are FOSS [Free & Open Source Software]. I am not claiming to have read or inspected any/all of the software licensing governing any/all of the software or software projects on the list. There. Hopfully that will deter a lot of stupid ******* replies.

IndyGunFreak 01-18-2009 06:43

You know the one I found the most interesting, was that password database. I'm gonna try to install it in Wine and see how it goes. However, I've done pretty much the same thing for a while, with Open Office. I made a OO Spreadsheet, with all my accounts, passwords, network log in info, etc. I then password protected the Spreadsheet file. I ever lose that password, and I'm mega hosed, although its a pretty personal one, that nobody else currently on earth would know.

Also, because I see this come up on occasion in other forums, is how to document your guns, in case of theft, loss, etc. I made another sheet on that file, took a pic of a gun, and beside it, recorded identifying info of the gun (make, model#, caliber, SN#). The pics aren't that great, because I took them w/ a piece of crap camera I had a couple years ago, I was thinking the other day I should go through and update the pics w/ my new camera. Anyways, I've saw posts come up on some sort of "firearms database" software in the past, and thought some might like the idea.... I've currently got it set up where I can get about 4 guns per page. That was the hardest part, getting the pics to set properly in the spreadsheet, so they would stay on one page, in the event it ever needed printed out. (I'm guessing a pic of a gun that spread across 2 pages would be reasonably useless.. :))

Here's kinda what it looks like (SN's removed).. and yes, there's a lot more guns in the file, Its just I could only fit 4 into the screenshot.. :)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Screenshot.jpg


IGF

Furant 01-18-2009 10:07

IGF,

I use the KeePass password database because they have a version that runs on my BlackBerry and it allows me to keep them in synch. I used to use PasswordSafe by Bruce Schneier, a security expert, it also has a Java version, but I had trouble trying to run it on my BB. It probably would work fine in Linux.

I like your idea on you firearm inventory. Too bad my inventory is so small it really doesn't take too much to keep track of it.

Joey

Big Al 24 01-18-2009 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unix'N'Guns (Post 12094285)
He (OP) is introducing people to FOSS* & freeware alternatives. Can't see giving him a hard time for that.

I notice that there is no section for alternatives to Windows :-).

* It appears most items on the list are FOSS [Free & Open Source Software]. I am not claiming to have read or inspected any/all of the software licensing governing any/all of the software or software projects on the list. There. Hopfully that will deter a lot of stupid ******* replies.

I kinda figured that if you were the type to hunt down your own 'nix and install it yourself, you probably would end up contributing to the list rather than using it. You do have a point though, I could add Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS to the list.

Unix'N'Guns 01-18-2009 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 24 (Post 12096498)
I kinda figured that if you were the type to hunt down your own 'nix and install it yourself, you probably would end up contributing to the list rather than using it. You do have a point though, I could add Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS to the list.

I was tongue-in-cheek joking. That list would go on forever. You would be better served just putting a link to distrowatch under that section.

The list is a nice concept. Thanks for posting it.

IndyGunFreak 01-18-2009 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unix'N'Guns (Post 12098815)
<RMS PARAPHRASE>
We are talking about "free" as in Freedom, not "free" as in beer.
</RMS PARAPHRASE>

Actualy, Al stated his intent w/ the list in the first paragraph of his first post. I'm personally not really hung up on the the whole *free* (as in speech), thing.....

Second, nothing on Al's list, to my knowledge, do you have to pursue illegal means to continue using it.. I know some don't really consider stealing software, theft.. but it is, especially when you're downloading key generators so that you can use it.

IGF

DoubleWide 01-18-2009 18:41

Anti-Virus
ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
ClamWin Portable http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

I don't use the main program but the portable is nice if you need to scan someone's computer from a CD.

Portableapps.com is nice for USB key/CD stuff.

IndyGunFreak 01-18-2009 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWide (Post 12098938)
Anti-Virus
ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
ClamWin Portable http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

I don't use the main program but the portable is nice if you need to scan someone's computer from a CD.

Portableapps.com is nice for USB key/CD stuff.

Completely forgot Clam had a Windows version. I'm not familiar w/ the Windows version, but the Linux version is solid.. Most Linux users use it to scan files that will be shared w/ WIndows users, so they don't accidentally spread a virus, that had no effect on their PC.

Good catch.

IGF

Unix'N'Guns 01-18-2009 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak (Post 12098928)
Actualy, Al stated his intent w/ the list in the first paragraph of his first post. I'm personally not really hung up on the the whole *free* (as in speech), thing.....
IGF

I am aware. I was reiterating (for cali) that the list is of FOSS (free as in Freedom) & Freeware (free as is "no charge") software. I guess I didn't elaborate enough.

I am not hung up on the "free as in speech" thing, either. But I do think it is important and support it when ever it is a viable alternative to closed source and/or freeware.

Big Al 24 01-18-2009 19:21

Thanks everyone! I'll keep updating as new stuff is dredged up from our memories. I also added a link to distrowatch. :cool:

Toyman 01-19-2009 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 24 (Post 12091804)
I've seen other places request that people do that for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I was just trying to be courteous more than anything. But since this seems to be some kind of trick question to elicit an "aha" moment, why don't you go ahead and explain why I'm wrong about that? Here I just thought I was making a helpful list for people with the side benefit of gaining new programs for myself, but apparently I'm being quizzed or something.

Links to a site don't consume any more bandwidth than text, other than a little overhead to make them linkable.

Images linked from another website however would consume bandwidth for the other site though.

I just thought maybe *I* was missing something. :)

Bronson7 01-19-2009 10:33

Thanks, Al! I'll be looking at some of those myself. Appreciate it.
Bronson7

glocknia 01-19-2009 13:10

I've used Malwarebytes on a number of friend's machines to clean off spyware/malware. Great program! www.malwarebytes.org


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.