View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 16:08   #3
machinisttx

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Wino View Post
You obviously believe in a supreme being and therefore you qualify for petitioning. You do not need to be a religious person. I'm not. As a matter of fact religious discussions will not take place in Lodge, along with politics, as masons focus on values and principles that unite mankind.
Religion and politics can be great dividers in this world...

Your concern about not being fully available to attend all the meetings is a noble one. However one of your duty as a Mason is to support your family and you will be asked not to sacrifice your work for Masonry.
In my Lodge we have two firefighters, one doctor, an Army reservist, several business owners and farmers. We can't always make it to the meetings and everybody understand that.

I suggest that you meet face to face with some masons in your area so they can answer all your questions. In the process, they will also make sure Masonry is the right path for you based on your expectations.

It appears there are five Lodges in your location:
http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/l_locate.php

Adresses and dates of meetings are posted for each Lodge and you can contact any member listed on their webpages. They will contact you and meet with you.

Who knows, you might know some of them altready!

Keep us posted

Wino
What he said. So long as you believe in a singular Supreme Being, you're good to go, at least for Blue Lodge along with Chapter and Council. I'm not sure about the Scottish Rite or Shriners, but everything after Blue Lodge is optional anyway. The extent of religious discussion in my Lodge is someone saying "We're having a BBQ/sale/etc. at my church this weekend, everyone is welcome.".

With regard to TX ritual, there are several ways that He is referred to. Supreme Architect of the Universe, God, and a couple others are there in various places.

Several members of my Lodge are currently serving overseas and various other places. We have some members that I've never met, and I was extremely active until recently. I myself haven't made a stated meeting in several months, and it's not a big deal. You will be told that everything else comes before the Fraternity, and it is true.

If you have any more specific questions with regard to TX, there are several of us here from TX, so feel free to ask. Nationwide just did his Entered Apprentice(first) degree, jetboatdriver is a Master Mason(and a member of everything I think ), while I am a Master Mason and a member of the York Rite. There are several others I can't remember offhand.

I must have missed the thread you referred to, any chance you have a link?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote