Thread: Survival books
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:13   #71
quake

While not wilderness-living oriented, Ayn Rand’s “We the Living” is worth including in the list imo. Although fiction, her depiction of 1920's Russia takes you thru a lot of the characters’ physical, social and emotional privations and their various responses to those things.

I’d started re-reading it last week, but quit when the election results came in. The book is pretty dreary & even depressing, and I just didn’t feel like subjecting myself to that any more than necessary after seeing how the election came out.

Whether or not a person agrees with all of Rand’s philosophies (she had just a visceral animosity for any form of religion), she was imo a brilliant intellect and that book in particular shows some of the privations people face in times of harsh, long-term economic & social hardship. Black- and gray-market dealings (as FerFAL has mentioned popping up in Argentina), facing wintertime with failing (or failed) utility services, even little thought-of things like smoky rooms & allergy-esque issues from using unseasoned firewood; it offers what I consider a pretty good ‘thru-the-window’ peek into what the people in those times would have had to deal with and slog thru on a daily basis. Mostly they’re the problems faced by city-dwellers in this particular book; not a lot of rural characters or settings in the book.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote