View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 11:54   #65
bdc
Former Member

Trigger guard ergonomics. (Particularly useful for large frame and sub-comp

Originally postid= 2119217 from year 2003.

While properly gripping my G29, the fingers of my strong hand could not properly fit into the finger grooves. The trigger guard made hard contact with the knuckle of my strong hand saluting finger. To some measure, the gun was recoiling off my knuckle.

The grip on the G29 (G20, G21, G30) is more than .5” greater circumference than it should and must be. The trigger guard design is larger and more intrusive than it needs to be as it approaches the grip area. The trigger finger angle is incorrect. An unnecessarily wide lower frame (just to the rear of the trigger) interferes with the trigger finger as well. (Sf models now address some of these faults.)

The trigger guard CAN be dealt with:

Grip the (unloaded) G29 as if to shoot, with trigger finger comfortably extended along the slide. Rotate the G29 to observe where the trigger guard and frontstrap finger grooves contact the bony areas of the middle finger. To prevent unintended damage, remove the slide assembly and apply masking tape over the areas of the trigger guard and gun that are not to be altered.

With sharp flat, round and half round files and 150 through 600 grit sandpapers wrapped around tools: Remove material only from the trigger guard location that interferes with your knuckle. Check regularly as material is removed from the trigger guard. Check at the middle finger knuckle and top finger groove of the frontstrap to obtain the fit desired.

I removed .10” vertically from the right rear low point of the trigger guard, while leaving the left rear trigger guard untouched.

The material is easily shaped. The reworked surface will be lighter in color than the original finish because some reinforcing fibers are microscopically exposed. One coat of black shoe polish permanantly re-dyes those fibers to a finish the same color value as the original. Takes an amateur proceeding carefully about an hour to do a quality job, using only the simplest hand tools. Looks good and well worth doing!

The grip circumference is effectively smaller for my hand because my fingers now grip fully into the frontstrap grooves. My middle and ring fingers now grip .10” higher on the grip, and that much closer to the barrel axis. My pinky finger grips the forward surface of the magazine floorplate. No magazine extensions are required or desired any more. The overall size of the gun is that much smaller to conceal.

Feels like a completely different pistol. I don't spend any more time searching for the correct or more comfortable grip.

Gripping higher, closer to the barrel axis, also causes different bullet weights//velocities to hit in a smaller target area, without any sight correction.

Places on the grip I have identified to alter which may aid persons with smaller hands are:
In whole or in part remove the textured plastic from the frontstrap and backstrap of the grip. Make sure not to remove more than the textured areas so that the magazine well is not punctured, or the frame not substantially weakened.
Remove some of the ambidextrous thumb rest on the trigger finger side.

More radical grip reduction/shaping is possible via the “Candle Method”; or removing the backstrap and filling with plastics such as Devcon Plastic Weld, or reinforced plastics used in boat building/repair.

Full size frame pistols can be "chopped" in grip length to accommodate compact model magazines.

Last edited by bdc; 06-23-2009 at 11:46..
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote