View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 02:50   #5
Strada Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberry View Post
I have recently fell in love with the single action trigger and am interested in the high powers. How is the durability and reliability compared to DA/SA pistols? Could $550 get me a decent high power? Pardon my ignorance,please. Thanks.
It's been said that when John Brwning designed the 1911 he hit a Home Run. When he designed the Hi Power, he hit a Grand Slam. I happen to agree.

I myself think it's the finest 9mm or .40 S&W platform out there today and it's reliability is second to none as long as you have a Mk III. The MkIII is any of the newer ones, but the production date escapes me at the moment, and it's too late and I'm too tired to look it up right now before going to bed.

As far as durability, change the recoil spring every 1,200 to 1,500 and you should be OK for the rest of your life. I myself carry and shoot a .40 S&W Hi Power off duty and change the recoil; spring every 1,000 rounds. It's cheap insurance.

I saw a 9mm MkIII for sale, looked seldom fired and well cared for, for sale in a local Pawn Shop. If I hadn't spent all my extra money on a Colt AR it would've gone home with me that day. The price? IIRC was $470 + Tax.

Strada Man
Strada Man is offline   Reply With Quote