View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:38   #12
kcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Okay, the 1000 works. It needs tinkering. So does my fathers 650 and freakshow's 1050. That's not what matters. What matters is who does the tinkering, are they a good tinker? For instance, the poster had an issue with his cases feeding, so he drilled an extra hole in the feed shoe. That was a wrong turn. His z bar is off, his shell plate is out of time, his sheel plate is dirty, something, anything, but not the hole in the feed shoe.
Well, certainly something's off. But the shell plate itself isn't out of time unless the indexing rod has its spiral section in the wrong location. It may be dirty but this is a brand new press, and the shellplate turns very freely when it's not engaging the spiral section of the center post (the only noticeable friction is from the ball that sits underneath it).

Replacing relevant parts one at a time in the hope that it fixes the problem isn't the way I generally like to solve problems. I like to understand how the mechanism works and what steps I can take to address any problems with it.

Drilling a hole in the feed shoe was the most direct way of adjusting the timing between it and the shellplate. Anything else almost certainly would have required that I order additional parts. Maybe you consider the modification I performed to be an incorrect solution. However, if it's an incorrect solution, why does the press in its entirety function perfectly with that modification?

The only thing that would have improved this would either be a longer z bar, a shorter case pusher, or a center rod with the spiral section located higher.

I plan to take the shellplate carrier apart, but if I find nothing wrong with it then I'll be left either with methodical replacement of parts or leaving the press as it is. If it works properly as it is, what would be the point of screwing with replacement parts? Not that it would be a horrible thing to have such parts on hand in any case...

Quote:
So he will now proceed to "fix" the rest of the press to fit the altered shoe. His entire press will be exactly the distance, center to center, of the two holes, OFF everywhere else.
That turns out not to be the case, and if you examine the design of the casefeeder versus the indexing, you'll see that what you say here cannot be true. The casefeeder just pushes a case into the shellplate. As long as the shellplate has stopped before the case gets to it and the casefeeder shoe pushes the case completely into the shellplate, everything will work. All my modification did was to ensure that by the time the case got to the shellplate, the shellplate was guaranteed to have stopped and settled.

I just finished loading 400 rounds with the press. The casefeeder functioned perfectly. There were a few instances where the indexing literally stopped in the middle of the rotation for no apparent reason (the shellplate moved freely at that point, so if something was binding it must have been very temporary). I may have to take the shellplate carrier apart to see if there's anything damaged in there and to learn exactly how the mechanism works, but whatever is going on, it is not consistent, occurring perhaps once every 70 rounds on average.

Oh, and the priming system functioned perfectly as well, except when I let the primer supply run too low. I already knew it would give problems under those conditions and knew exactly what to expect and how to fix it.

Quote:
My 1000 is over 20 years old. Parts have worn out, curses on the Lee family have been uttered, but it still runs great and makes ammo all day long.

Here are a couple of hints. The primer feed tray can only be so clean and so full. Yes it needs to be clean and full, but scrubbing it every ten minutes and topping off the feed tray is stupid. If it is clean and full and it doesn't work, LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. I clean my 1000 about once a year. Crud builds under the shell plate and slows down the indexing. this causes primer feed problems. FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS for adjusting the indexing. Any deviation and you will be cleaning your primer feed chute for now reason and still not getting good primer feeding.
About how many rounds do you figure you load with it between cleanings?

Quote:
Another cause of primer jams is OPERATOR ERROR. All the cleaning in the world will not make up for a ham-fisted operator. UP and DOWN. Just like that. Even speed thoughout the stroke.
Yep.

The feel of the priming mechanism is remarkably similar to that of the Dillon 650, actually. I use very smooth and relatively slow motions with these presses. I can feel when the primer contacts the pocket and when it bottoms out. Because I move the arm relatively slowly, I can feel when a primer is not seating properly and stop in time not only to fix the problem, but also, generally, without damage to the primer in question.

Thus far, I'm rather pleased with the performance of my Pro 1000. The indexing mechanism does cause a tiny bit of powder to spill out of the cases when the shellplate rotates into position, thanks to the ball and spring that create a positive stop. My 650 does the same thing, so I'm not at all concerned about it. And getting through the last few primers is annoying but possible -- I use a tie wrap as a pusher. Doing this right is tricky: you have to use the right amount of pressure at the right time for the right duration. Too little and the primer won't locate itself above the priming pin. Too much and it'll flip the primer or something of that sort.

The press could use a bit more leverage, but it works and that's what counts. The primer tray shaker mechanism induces a decent amount of friction. A very thin layer of grease along the path the shaker pin takes helps a bit. This looks to me like something that could use improvement but I'll have to give some thought about how to accomplish that.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what sort of progressive press based on the LCT Lee will come out with, if any. The LCT seems to have plenty of leverage. Whatever they come out with, I certainly hope it has a priming system that requires that you push forward like you do on the Pro 1000 and the Dillon 650, since it's the only way you're going to really feel the primer go into the pocket.

Last edited by kcbrown; 12-27-2009 at 05:07..
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote