Thread: 1911 or....
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:03   #9
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavmech13 View Post
Still looking for my first 1911 but I am also looking at a Sig P226 Navy. My question to you folks is if I was to go with a 1911 which one would you get for $700 ish? Why would you get it over the Sig?

I'm looking for opinions, oh and this will be my first gun purchase in 2010 Thanks in advance everyone.
I have both purchased and owned or borrowed for extended use several Sig pistols from my brother. I have found those in 9mm and .45 ACP to be wonderful. The single example I borrowed in .40 S&W was not to my liking. I have always had a 1911 of some sort and currently own a Springfield Mil-Spec. 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. In the price range you stipulate I would look for and purchase either a older model Sig P-226 or I would find and buy a used Springfield Mil-Spec. Purchased used in good condition the SA 1911 leave you with enough money to buy plenty of ammo, etc. The Sig P-226 might cost closer to the top of your budget, depending on where and from whom you buy it. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, so that would be a factor to consider in your buying decision. Recently I purchased a as new SA Mil-Spec. 1911-A1 in .45 ACP for a little more than half of your budget. It is in every way outstanding. In function, accuracy and quality of manufacturer it is without exception perfect. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.