View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 15:56   #24
mongo356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9 View Post
According to Mike McNett, he does his chrono testing outside of Cedar City, UT, at an elevation way over 6000 ft. You're nearly at sea level. I don't pretend to know how much of a difference this makes, but it's got to be some diff.
I for one have never seen any signs of over pressure or cracking of the nickle in well over a thousand rounds of 9mm and of 10mm Double Tap, and I do check because I've been reloading the cases. And if I did see such problems, I would sure as heck talk to Mike. Have you?
Nope. I did try a couple of different lot#'s to see if I maybe got a bad bunch. The nickel cracking was off and on, but the giant bulge was still there, to the point I couldn't re-load them.

In the end I came to the conclusion that anything I shoot won't be able to tell the difference in a 100ft a second or so anyway...if I was cutting it that close I need to either shoot better or get a bigger gun-lol. Also I didn't want one of the bulging rounds to blow apart at the worst possible moment making a reliable gun into a paperweight, I.E. shooting at charging hog, buffalo, elephant, etc.

I believe the elevation may have a lot to do with the chrono numbers, as well as other factors, temp, instruments used etc. Keep in mind this is just my experience with the ammo not necessarily written in stone for everyone.

I decided to just go to the XTP's they have always worked good for me. Most of the time I can roll my own cheaper so I have been doing that.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote