Thread: .357 Sig
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 13:40   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley View Post
I have loaded and shot about 2000 rounds and I took the advise directly from RCBS.

NO BELL
NO CRIMP
JUST CHAMFER A BIT
I use only jacketed bullets

No issues since I started this, but as always especially with this round, IF YOU CHAMBER THE ROUND either SHOOT IT OUT or EXJECT AND PULL THE BULLET. This is a bit overkill, but help prevent you from bullet setback.

ALSO AA#9 12-13 grains, will prevent bullet setback
You have had success, but since RCBS got the orignal die specs wrong, I can't support their instructions. The round headspaces on the small shoulder, RCBS says on the case mouth, that is wrong. If you shoot plated bullets, a slight bell will help keep them from gouging the bases. I have even collapsed case neck trying to seat w/o some slight bell. I would rather bell than chamfer, chamfer leaves less neck mat'l. for a good crimp. RCBS got it wrong IMO, Dillon dies are perfect, Lee & Redding also got it right, but are not carbide (which baffles me, just put the carbide sizer in from the 40 die).
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote