View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 17:41   #2
Faulkner
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw_player View Post
Here's the first question (sorry for the lengthy setup), at what range should I be working with him on with this platform? 25yrds? 50yrds? 100 yrds? What's a realistic target training range for this rifle with a 3X9? Not knowing the ballistics characteristics yet (thought I'd ask more knowledgable people here) what's the drop as I move out? I'm generally shooting CCI mini-mags or the WalMart Federal Bulk Packs (super cheap).
The range officer told me at 100 yrds I can expect 8" of drop? Really? And I shouldn't shoot at that range....Hmmm....
In teaching your 10 year old I would start by sighting in at 25 yards and consider 50 yards long range. Once your son masters the shorter ranges going longer won't be a problem. 100 yards with a .22 can be challenging and frustrating for the young fellow if you start there, even with a scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw_player View Post
Second question, next I'm moving to a red dot to try that out. I don't want to drop major coin on a tactical red dot for this .22. Any recommendations on a decent red dot in the $100-$150 range?
I have a Firefield 5mW green laser on mine that I purchased from Sportsmansguide.com for under $80.00. I think you can see the green dot better than the red in daylight.

Rimfire Forum