View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 19:47   #396
glock20c10mm

Hey Bones13 I didn't forget about you, just took time to get back to you. Better late than never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
Dunno what Fackler thinks about it but I suspect that his main complaint would be that the best that could be done, even with good data, is prove the existence of an unreliable phenomenon.
Unreliable doesn't always mean unexpected most of the time.
Quote:
FWIW Courtney does talk directly about TBI being the mechanism on the first page:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0803/0803.3053.pdf
True.
Quote:
My perspective is that even every thought you have can be traced to a particular physiologic event - a specific set of neurons firing in a specific pattern. There has to be a physiologic explanation to take it beyond just saying "I shoot him & he fall down go boom". What exactly do we mean by incapacitation? Seemingly specific words have a way of meaning less than we think. What does it mean to say a neuron fires? It gets complicated very quickly.
The only way I can see it to mean is that a BG or animal was forced for some reason to give up their attack.
Quote:
All good questions, but specifics are what drives the science. It was asserted earlier in this thread that there is no difference between the type of damage that occurs when sheep butt heads and when BPW causes TBI, which is just silly.
I can see where it could have been taken that way, but what was meant is explained in Dr. Courtney's write up of the deer study. And what you said wasn't it.
Quote:
Dunno if I'd completely accept the assertion that there's NO difference but I get what you're saying.
That's honest enough and fair enough for me.
Quote:
The military and LE aren't usually researchers. Sometimes research conducted by military or LE agencies is biased, too. If your boss wants the results to be X, the results have a way of being X, especially if you want a promotion.
Very true! But my point was based on the ammo they carry rating very low in terms of peak BPW.
Quote:
The literature talks about psychological versus physiological factors causing incapacitation. Does a larger BPW simply means it hurts more? Or that it gives the victim a greater sense of "having been shot"?

I used to have a link (which of course now I can't find) to an article about how hollywood cliches have informed peoples expectation about what happens when someone is shot. People fall down because they think they're supposed to.
I'm with ya on all that.

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote