View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 11:10   #24
N/Apower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
I am not saying that GD is a bad bullet, I use them for reloading and did carry them for a while. It is an older design, but the thing I did not like was the velocity variation. The duty ammo is susposed to go 1,375 fps I think. However, out of my G32 the last time I checked 10 rounds the velocity ranged from 1,298 fps to 1,380 fps. 1,298 fps is getting pretty low for the 357 sig GD bullet and it will still penetrate. The more I play with the HST, the more I like it. Definately larger expansion and I have not noticed a siginficant difference in penetration. Every HST bullet I shoot through denim and water jugs looks exactly the same, not so with GD's. I just wish the HST would go over 1,400 fps out of a G32. Do not get me wrong, GD's are good bullets and I sometimes carried them from Buffalo Bore because they left my G32 at almost 1,450 fps. At that velocity it really expands to the point that you can see the gold dot in the middle of the mushroom.
I really REALLY doubt this is your problem, but it...could be.

Speer makes 2 loads for the 357SIG.

They look identical to the un-trained eye (You would never notice if I hadn't told you, or you weren't OCD).

Yet they use different projectiles and a different powder charge. One has .2g (worth 25fps or so) less powder. It also uses a projectile designed for about 1.5" less penetration, so obviously they will look different when expanded.

If you mixed ammo for your chronograph testing, or you shot these two different loads into milk jugs (there is a third load as well, that pre-dates there, circa '99), that could account for the "variability" you are seeing.

All of the chronograph testing I have seen done for the 357SIG using Gold Dot ammunition shows SD's in/near the single-digits.

* You have to use the quote button, or if you want to type in html, you have to use [quote=*username*]

Quote:
Originally Posted by test123
Here
The currently used 357SIG Gold Dot bullets are a 1999 design. When was the HST designed in this caliber?

Last edited by N/Apower; 02-14-2010 at 11:18..
N/Apower is offline   Reply With Quote