I think the real question comes down to.....
1. What advantages does the .357 offer over the .40S&W in the same platform.
2. In the same platform, is it worth sacrificing a few rounds of 9mm to gain a slight edge in stopping power by going to the 357?
3. Removing extended ranges and slightly better barrier penetration from the equation, what advantages, if any, are left?
4. What % of shootings where extended range and slightly better barrier penetration of the .357SIG a deciding factor?
5. For the "average" civilian, what advantage does the 357 offer, considering the actual dynamics of most self defense shootings?