View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 14:09   #24
05FLHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
First...
Yes, the handwriting is on the wall for McDonald. But take some read and read about what Supreme Court decisions actually accomplish and HOW. They are EXTREMELY limited in their scope. The issue in McDonald will ultimately decide whether or not the precedent set in the Heller decision will apply to the states (read = whether or not Chicago's and similar gun bans are Constitutional). McDonald WILL NOT ESTABLISH CONCEALED CARRY IN ILLINOIS. Why? Because that is NOT the issue before the Court. All the sheeple though Heller would set them free too. But it didn't. Because SCOTUS decision are limited to the EXACT and PRECISE question posed to the Court. There is no CONCEALED CARRY provision in the legal argument in McDonald. The only argument will center around whether or not Chicago's gun ban is legal.

Second...
Even if gun bans are ruled unConstitutional in McDonald, the legislature would still have to introduce and pass a concealed carry bill and the governor would have to sign it. MICHAEL MADIGAN WILL NOT CALL THAT BILL FOR A VOTE. Ever. He'll die first.

Third...
Federal district court rulings in other districts outside of Illinois will have zero influence on Illinois law.

Please....... PLEASE...... figure out what you're talking about before you spew this stuff publicly. You just clearly don't understand how the principles here are working.
You may want to visit the link I posted and review the cited case, in which the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals has already set the level of scrutiny as "strict" for the "core" Second Amendment issue of "self defense." If The SCOTUS does not set the level of scrutiny in McDonald, which they may or may not (it is their choice), strict scrutiny will be used in the 7th Circuit.

I guess Madigan could say no to a federal court ruling, if it had to go that far, but I don't think that would last too long. The Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights is just a little bit bigger even than Madigans over inflated head.

As to your assumption that a Federal Appeals Court does not have jurisdiction, I'll let the internet be your guide -

The United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (in case citations, 7th Cir.) is a federal court with appellate jurisdiction over the courts in the following districts:
Central District of Illinois
Northern District of Illinois
Southern District of Illinois
Northern District of Indiana
Southern District of Indiana
Eastern District of Wisconsin
Western District of Wisconsin

You may not want to agree with what I say (although I don't know why), but please look at the information that I post before you tell me that I am wrong. Ok, Thanks.
05FLHT is offline   Reply With Quote