View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16   #25
TurboRocket

* What discipline are you a student under?

Muay Thai, currently. MT and Arnis soon.

* What is the level of training required to be fully recognized as an "instructor", a "master"?

I'm no where near instructor level. My instructor (Kru) has 20 years of study and just started training on his own 2 years ago. Previously, he was training with his Master.

* What is that level of training required to attain the higher tier/ranking? Is it number of years studying? Number of years studying + teaching? Or some combination of other things?

We do not use a belt system.

* What are the requirements for testing, and / or promotion for a higher rank?

I don't know exactly. Of the 4 Krus here in town, all were appointed so by the same Master, and all have 15+ years. So, I assume it was just a certain level of proficiency they had to prove to the Master. There are a few other MT instructors in town, but most are associated with the new crop of MMA type gyms and most/all are just generic kickboxing.

* How is your discipline set up to absorb someone else from another discipline, with or without rank?

All start with basic strikes. I think Muay Thai striking takes on very different technique than than other styles so, so new students from other arts get frustrated with relearning, say, a round house kick.

* Is your martial arts discipline recognized by some national or international council? If yes, what is that council?

Don't know. Don't care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.

Last edited by TurboRocket; 06-25-2010 at 05:20..
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote