View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:15   #7
SouthernBoyVA

I have been carrying openly everyday for the past three years now. As I mentioned in the closed thread, I do this primarily because of my knees. I have osteoarthritis in both of them and will require a knee replacement sometime down the road. For now, my knees do not allow me to run from a situation or to stay and fight someone as I was once capable of doing. And even though I do CC from time to time, OC'ing sends a message to anyone who might be of a mind to do me harm, that perhaps it is in his best interests to leave me alone.

Two weeks ago today, I was grocery shopping and our county sheriff came right by me, turned around, then went back in the direction from which he had come. My guess is that someone may have said something to him and he just wanted to check things out. As those members on this site are fully aware, Virginia is VERY gun-lenient and gun-friendly which makes OC'ing a non-issue. The area in which I live is loaded with non-natives, many from northern states and some from foreign countries. It is also very affluent. One might think this combination would create problems for OC'ers but somehow it doesn't. It's weird, but they seem to learn quickly that guns are part of the culture of Virginians and they know we carry them at our pleasure.

P.S. Thanks Russ for staring this back up with your admonishment. It never ceases to both amaze and irritate me that there are people who carry concealed firearms that are so biased against those who carry openly. Discussions are fine... arguments and name calling only serve those who would see our rights go in the trash.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 07-28-2010 at 06:18..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote