View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 15:16   #810
Homechicken

The area I grew up in and lived in until about 12 years ago was great when I was a kid. Almost all single family neighborhoods, there were only 2 apartment complexes within 3 or 4 miles. There was hardly ever any crime except for a rare burglary, usually kids skipping school breaking in while people were at work. That slowly changed as more apartments were built. When we finally left, murders, rapes, burglaries and other crime had become commonplace. People walked up and down the streets all night carrying on. It got so I didn't even hear or pay attention to the noise any longer. That is until I found out that a woman I'd heard screaming in the middle of the night, and ignored because it was just "business as usual", was screaming because she was being raped in the woods behind our house. About that same time, my cousin was on his way to our house one evening and stopped at the Jiffy-Rip about a 1/4 mile up the road from us. As he pulled into a parking spot in front of the doors, a young kid came running out, he'd just robbed the store clerk of $60, and took a shot at my cousin. The bullet went through the windshield and lodged in the dashboard. Two inches higher and it would have hit my cousin right in the face. I'd carried for a while by this point but never bothered with a permit. A cop friend of mine finally convinced me to get one, just to cover my ass in case I had to use it.