View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21   #57
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special.
Wise man. Allow me to take that miserable old junk of a Dick Special off your hands. I'd even be willing to give you a little money for it, since I feel so sorry about you carrying it all these years.
Quote:
I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real.
Most training videos like that are designed that way. In reality, attacks where the chamber condition would matter are so rare as to be nearly non-existent.
Quote:
I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.
No, you are not being silly. If yo are uncomfortable with C1, go to C3. There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the two in real life. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and you should decide which are important to you. I don't think you need to worry about the Glock firing in your holster, but if you are uncomfortable you really don't give up much, if anything, by going to chamber empty carry. As for who carries what, it varies. Lots of folks carry chamber loaded, lots of folks carry chamber empty.
All that nonsense about carrrying C3 means you might as well carry a club, or a brick, or you'll never be able to sue it in time, and assorted silliness plays well on the internet, but reality is that C3 was the preferred mode of carry for autoloaders for a long time in most places, and it worked out just fine. Nothing has happened to change that. If C3 makes you comfortable, carry C3 and go on about your day with the knowledge that you are just as well equipped for trouble as the next guy.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 11-12-2010 at 12:29..